PDA

View Full Version : is this amp too much for this sub?

BigBoi
07-13-2005, 09:38 PM
trying to figure out if this amp is too much for this sub.

here are the specs on the amp:

Amplifier Type - Dual Channel
Bass Boost
Bridgable
Power Output:
RMS Power at 2 Ohms - 350 W x 2
RMS Power at 4 Ohms - 250 W x 2
Performance:
Frequency Response - 15 Hz - 35000 Hz
Low - Pass Frequency - 40 Hz - 150 Hz
High - Pass Frequency - 75 Hz - 750 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio - 100 dB
Bass Boost Frequency - 43 Hz
THD at Rated RMS Power - 0.02 %
Dimensions:
Width 14 in. Depth 10.5 in. Height 2.5 in.
Other Features:
MOSFET amp - Yes

The sub is a S10L5 kicker (square):
Dual voice coil - 4 ohms
Sensitivity 86dB
Frequency Response 24 - 0.1k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-450
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 900

if it is ok to use this amp with this sub, should i wire it in series or parallel?

thanks

5thgcelica
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
no. its actually probably not enough. not if you want full use of the sub.

BigBoi
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
damn, really? i had one of these amps hooked up to two s10L5's before in a different car, and it sounded pretty good. I was asking because i wasnt sure if it would be too much for one sub, and was wondering how i would wire it up.

5thgcelica
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
well its a 4ohms sub.....and that channel on the amp is rated at 250....each channel. and there is two of them. so. correct me if im wrong but..thats 250w to your 450w capable sub.

BigBoi
07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
ok .. i can bridge the amp and make it 700x1 at 4ohms.. but my problem is i cant wire it to 4 ohms.. i can only wire it in parallel to make it 2 ohms, or series to make it 8 ohms...

so if i wire it series and bridge it, how many watts would i be pushing?
or if i wire it parallel and bridge it, how many watts would i be pushing?

Spyder
07-14-2005, 09:42 AM
what is the model number of the amp?

what isnt listed in those specs is the ohm loads it is stable down to and the bridged power output, including what ohm load it is stable to bridged...

BigBoi
07-14-2005, 10:34 AM

what isnt listed in those specs is the ohm loads it is stable down to and the bridged power output, including what ohm load it is stable to bridged...

it doesnt say what ohm load it is stable down to. Only thing i see is the bridged power output is 700x1 at 4ohms.

Im just going to wire it parallel down to 2 ohms and bridge it. If it sounds like the sub cant handle it, or blows it LOL, then i will wire it series and bridge it, or buy new subs and rewire it.

Jaimecbr900
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Exactly. With a single 4 ohm sub, theres really only two ways to wire it to sound right. Either stereo, ie. straight, or series. If you go series, your amp will see (I'm going on memory here) 2 ohm mono load. Not all amps will handle that.

I would say, bridge the amp and run it straight. I'd guess that'd net you something like 500W X 1. Plenty IMO.

DroPed@BiRth
07-15-2005, 02:34 AM
Ur amp is stable at 1ohm, but youre best bet would be (since its dvc) is to run it paralel (spl). Overall performance and life will be very good for you. Kicker L5's have a bad tendency to seperate if run them over spec rms power. Usually the voice coil goes first! fun fun, and lots of stink! The L7's however, usually handle a few over spec. Figures huh, good way to make ppl opt for the more expensive stuff lol. Hope this info helps!

BigBoi
07-15-2005, 09:38 AM
^ thanks man for the info.. im gonna wire it parallel and bridge it. I was going to upgrade to the L7s.. but money is tight right now.. so i will have to wait until i blow the l5s or get some money.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Ur amp is stable at 1ohm, but youre best bet would be (since its dvc) is to run it paralel (spl). Overall performance and life will be very good for you. Kicker L5's have a bad tendency to seperate if run them over spec rms power. Usually the voice coil goes first! fun fun, and lots of stink! The L7's however, usually handle a few over spec. Figures huh, good way to make ppl opt for the more expensive stuff lol. Hope this info helps!

How do you know it is a 1 ohm stable amp much less a 1 ohm mono amp, he still (as best i can see ) hasnt listed a model number, so there is NO way to know that.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
it doesnt say what ohm load it is stable down to. Only thing i see is the bridged power output is 700x1 at 4ohms.

Im just going to wire it parallel down to 2 ohms and bridge it. If it sounds like the sub cant handle it, or blows it LOL, then i will wire it series and bridge it, or buy new subs and rewire it.

there is a better chance the amp will smoke if it isnt stable to a 2 ohm mono load.