PDA

View Full Version : Should I become a car salesman?

Ran
08-07-2007, 08:38 AM
So I got offered a job to sell Toyota cars & trucks after the sales manager watched me talk to a couple interested in a Yaris. I had no idea he was watching, I was just making conversation about the car since I drive one. Apparently he liked what he saw and said I should come by someday and see about selling cars.

I'm hesitant since I like my easy-going job right now that pays fairly well. I'm not sure how the market is, how stable the pay is, or whatever else. Anyone got any advice? :???:

hydroshutter
08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
You mentioned stable with pay in the same sentence.

I'd make sure there's a nice base if you decide to leave.

iEvo
08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
as long as ur not a retard like 99% of the other salesmen out there

Gutling
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Your pay depends on you, you sell cars, you eat :) lol You got to be able to build up a good word of mouth base with them, where they go home and tell their friends to come talk to you about a car. Dont have to bend over backwards to sell, but make sure not to try to trick them or coax them into "extra" fees or something at time of signing. It would be a decent job if you can learn how to read people, and good speaking skills.

Ran
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Your pay depends on you, you sell cars, you eat :) lol You got to be able to build up a good word of mouth base with them, where they go home and tell their friends to come talk to you about a car. Dont have to bend over backwards to sell, but make sure not to try to trick them or coax them into "extra" fees or something at time of signing. It would be a decent job if you can learn how to read people, and good speaking skills.Kind of what I was thinking. The last thing I would want to do is try to sell somebody something they didn't want or didn't need. I mean, everybody is different. Some people are indecisive while others are like "I want this car at your best price today", so it really varies. I'm pretty good with people but I don't want to go into a job that can leave me scrounging for rent money.

rickgiblin
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
dude, dont do it... if you dont want to screw over people, then you will just get buy. granted ive met some really nice sales people who are strait up with you. but thats also a full time job even when your off the clock.

green91
08-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Toyota sales are through the roof right now.. that being said its still a tough gig a lot of times. anytime you leave a stable pay for a commission position it requires A LOT of discipline and money management.. there are a lot of good salesman out there that you've also gotta compete with. Honestly id stay where you're at. I work at a Toyota dealer (but im in service) and i see some guys making bank and other guys quit after 3 weeks of virtually no income.

ksinao
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
if you can sell shit to people, you will make a lot of money. if you can't then you won't make shit

tippatone
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Dont do it dude, car salemen are scum, they will sell out their moms if it meant them getting a car sale, they will lie,cheat and steal to get the job done

Atlanta_Tide
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Which dealership??

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Dont do it dude, car salemen are scum, they will sell out their moms if it meant them getting a car sale, they will lie,cheat and steal to get the job done

:2up: Fuck you buddy. This shows your mental aptitude at it's finest right here.

I sold cars for a while [about 19 months], and I loved it honestly. I'm personally thinking about going back to it, simply because there is SO much shit involved with the outside sales I'm doing now. How well you do, well it depends on your personality more than anything else. Unfortunately, there are some with the same attitude as dipshit up here, but most people will know if you're being up front with them. I'd also take a good hard look at the pay scale, and an HONEST evaluation of how many units the dealership moves vs. the # of sales people. A lot of dealers are going to a base+commission plan these days, but the catch is, you make LESS commission. There are still a lot of them, however that will do straight commission with a draw if you don't sell, the upsides to this are usually much higher commissions[anywhere from 20-40% of gross], and they usually pay something on the back end of the deal [usually 2-5%], the downside however, is that if you get too far in the hole, they give you the axe. Competition is BIG in the business. Not only between dealerships and brands, but between salespeople as well, and a lot of the older cats won't think twice about skating a customer off of a noob.

All that being said, it really is a fin job if you're a people person, there's the potential for GREAT money [some of the older guys that have been doing it 15+yrs are knocking down ~90-100k a year].

Again, the main thing is being upfront with the customer, knowing how to read them and how much pressure to buy you can apply to them without sending them running down the street to someone else. Usually, when you're starting out, the sales managers won't hesitate to help you out, if you need help getting a customer to sit down, and are ALWAYS willing to help when closing a deal.

Product knowlege is key as well, make sure you know your stuff, as well as your competitors' stuff, and know how to slant the figures to your advantage or make them seem unimportant if you can't. A great example of that is the Hyundai vs BMW SUV commercials talking about cupholders, then showing the difference in price.

Well, hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to help.

tippatone
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
No fuck you first of all i should have said used car sales men because they will sell you a lemon in a min, and fuck me i wish you would dare say that to my face dont disrespect me because we dont know each other, getting all emotional and shit it was just a joke but with that said dont disrespect me just because you dont feel what i said, u acting like i said u personally:2up: :2up:
:2up: Fuck you buddy. This shows your mental aptitude at it's finest right here.

I sold cars for a while [about 19 months], and I loved it honestly. I'm personally thinking about going back to it, simply because there is SO much shit involved with the outside sales I'm doing now. How well you do, well it depends on your personality more than anything else. Unfortunately, there are some with the same attitude as dipshit up here, but most people will know if you're being up front with them. I'd also take a good hard look at the pay scale, and an HONEST evaluation of how many units the dealership moves vs. the # of sales people. A lot of dealers are going to a base+commission plan these days, but the catch is, you make LESS commission. There are still a lot of them, however that will do straight commission with a draw if you don't sell, the upsides to this are usually much higher commissions[anywhere from 20-40% of gross], and they usually pay something on the back end of the deal [usually 2-5%], the downside however, is that if you get too far in the hole, they give you the axe. Competition is BIG in the business. Not only between dealerships and brands, but between salespeople as well, and a lot of the older cats won't think twice about skating a customer off of a noob.

All that being said, it really is a fin job if you're a people person, there's the potential for GREAT money [some of the older guys that have been doing it 15+yrs are knocking down ~90-100k a year].

Again, the main thing is being upfront with the customer, knowing how to read them and how much pressure to buy you can apply to them without sending them running down the street to someone else. Usually, when you're starting out, the sales managers won't hesitate to help you out, if you need help getting a customer to sit down, and are ALWAYS willing to help when closing a deal.

Product knowlege is key as well, make sure you know your stuff, as well as your competitors' stuff, and know how to slant the figures to your advantage or make them seem unimportant if you can't. A great example of that is the Hyundai vs BMW SUV commercials talking about cupholders, then showing the difference in price.

Well, hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to help.

Ran
08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. I might consider it for a second job, but in all honesty I think I prefer something a bit more stable for the time being. Reps

Whiteboy™
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
do both?

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
No fuck you first of all i should have said used car sales men because they will sell you a lemon in a min, and fuck me i wish you would dare say that to my face dont disrespect me because we dont know each other, getting all emotional and shit it was just a joke but with that said dont disrespect me just because you dont feel what i said, u acting like i said u personally:2up: :2up:

Trust me, I'm far from intimidated by you. Generalized statements like these show a major lack of experience in dealing with the matter at hand. Not saying there aren't still some out there, but those days are pretty much done, there are way too many regulations and too much government involvement in the shit now. Now, if you wanna continue to try and play hardass with me, PM me and we can do what we gotta do, since I disrespect your famiry.

tippatone
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
thats real gansta trying to intimidate someone over the net i never was never will be an internet thug, there are enough of those on this site
Trust me, I'm far from intimidated by you. Generalized statements like these show a major lack of experience in dealing with the matter at hand. Not saying there aren't still some out there, but those days are pretty much done, there are way too many regulations and too much government involvement in the shit now. Now, if you wanna continue to try and play hardass with me, PM me and we can do what we gotta do, since I disrespect your famiry.

tippatone
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
let me say for the record that all car sales men are not bad i just had some rotten experience that left a bad taste in my mouth, sorry to all car salesmen my bad yall

Blitanicle99
08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Both of you have like 300 posts. Internet threats already then eh?

Car wise, heres my little story.
Looking at a new truck,I realized how much I love to hustle salesmen at the end of the month. Its like a game for me. Anyway I was at World of Toyota and seeing how bad they wanted to sell a car on the last day of the month. Well after watching the financial manager drop his jaw when I completely ran him about what he did not know about his product and got him to admit that there was a bonus for selling this particular truck I started really having fun.
The head Salesmen, their best starting talking to me about this truck and I laid him out verbally for A. Not knowing his product worth shit, and B. lying to me about what was taking so long. I ended up getting this guy to beg to me to buy the truck. The Manager overhead the whole thing and told me the lowest deal he would do. I told him great, I had to check out one more vehicle up the street and make my decision.
He then proceeded to tell me that the deal was only good now and not in 30 min. At this point this man was furious and thought he had me cornered.
I told him fine, you just lost a sale and the bonus for selling that truck, and you wont make your quota.
I go to look at the other truck. Ten minutes later I get a call from the same manager "Hey hows the other truck look like?, Is it better than ours?" Blah blah.
I told him I would call him back I was in the middle of paperwork.
I ended up not buying the truck at Toyota but the other dealership, however sticking to my word I did call them back. Told them what happened and everything.
And the same fucking manager offered me a job because I ran their best guy so well.
If you can sell Ice to eskimos, shit do it. If you can just sell shit. No dont do it.

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Both of you have like 300 posts. Internet threats already then eh?

Car wise, heres my little story.
Looking at a new truck,I realized how much I love to hustle salesmen at the end of the month. Its like a game for me. Anyway I was at World of Toyota and seeing how bad they wanted to sell a car on the last day of the month. Well after watching the financial manager drop his jaw when I completely ran him about what he did not know about his product and got him to admit that there was a bonus for selling this particular truck I started really having fun.
The head Salesmen, their best starting talking to me about this truck and I laid him out verbally for A. Not knowing his product worth shit, and B. lying to me about what was taking so long. I ended up getting this guy to beg to me to buy the truck. The Manager overhead the whole thing and told me the lowest deal he would do. I told him great, I had to check out one more vehicle up the street and make my decision.
He then proceeded to tell me that the deal was only good now and not in 30 min. At this point this man was furious and thought he had me cornered.
I told him fine, you just lost a sale and the bonus for selling that truck, and you wont make your quota.
I go to look at the other truck. Ten minutes later I get a call from the same manager "Hey hows the other truck look like?, Is it better than ours?" Blah blah.
I told him I would call him back I was in the middle of paperwork.
I ended up not buying the truck at Toyota but the other dealership, however sticking to my word I did call them back. Told them what happened and everything.
And the same fucking manager offered me a job because I ran their best guy so well.
If you can sell Ice to eskimos, shit do it. If you can just sell shit. No dont do it.

Not many posts, but been here longer than you, so yep.

But, his story def backs up what I said about not only knowing YOUR product, but the competitors' as well.

On_Her_Face
08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
well my buddy up in nc decided hes going to work for his dad at the mazada dealership 3 months ago he sold 28.5 cars, and made a lil over 17k.. so u know if u can sell and got the right product ull be fine.. my advice dont go to ford, our shit has been slow there, ive been working there as a high school/college job in customer service but this year has been slow, either way good luck

BlkCD5
08-08-2007, 06:16 PM
:stupid: +1

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
well my buddy up in nc decided hes going to work for his dad at the mazada dealership 3 months ago he sold 28.5 cars, and made a lil over 17k.. so u know if u can sell and got the right product ull be fine.. my advice dont go to ford, our shit has been slow there, ive been working there as a high school/college job in customer service but this year has been slow, either way good luck

boy don't you know it. I was working at the largest volume Lincoln-Merc. dealer in the region and was only averaging 6-7 cars a month[being the reason I quit] being in the top 3 at the dealership each month

Brandon C
08-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Rule 1 : Your always working
rule 2: be honest
Rule 3: know your products
Rule 3: Be out going..

Now some facts: 85% of car sales staff are single or divorced
Car Sales will always go up and Down

Get ready for Long Hours and some months little pay...

Get ready to be accused as you can see in this thread of being Shady or mis leading.

NOW THE FINALE RULE:
ALL CUSTOMERS WILL LIE TO YOU AT FIRST!!!!!!