PDA

View Full Version : Fuck. I can't drive now.

Jecht
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
My brake master cylinder died completely today and now I can't drive my car.

I don't know how to repair it and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. :cry:

BKgen®
08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
http://store.drumbum.com/media/duct-tape-heavy-duty.jpg

problem solved.
(temporarily anyway...)

The BUCKY
08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
its easy. get another one and swap it out

WickedIXMR
08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
wow who gives a fuck, i know i dont

BTLFED
Do what 240 drifters do to everything.

Ziptie it.

Jecht
its easy. get another one and swap it out

I'm a suspension junkie, I've never done work on brakes before. Idk how I should disconnect the lines or what connects to the inside of the car and whatnot.

BTLFED
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
wow who gives a fuck, i know i dont

This man speaks the truth. The care train left a long time ago. We weren't on it. -------------------------------->

Maniaç
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Ive had to use alot of zipties before.. they are really a life saver. lol

cactusEG
08-03-2007, 06:22 PM
cant duck it fuck it

Leadfoot_mf
08-03-2007, 06:34 PM
its easy just swap it out u dont have to worry about bleeding it or anything cause the master cylinder is at the top just fill it up and off u go.

Jecht
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
its easy just swap it out u dont have to worry about bleeding it or anything cause the master cylinder is at the top just fill it up and off u go.

Thanks, that doesn't seem so bad. I was worried about having to do something with the fluid. I guess I'll figure it out. Now I just need to find a way to a parts place to buy it.

Maniaç
08-03-2007, 06:41 PM
ryan, get a fucking job.. problem soloved

"B"
08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
My brake master cylinder died completely today and now I can't drive my car.

I don't know how to repair it and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. :cry:

You pussy. I was on the way to a drag strip (read: airfield) in Germany when my master cylinder sprung a hole. Needless to say, I was unable to run any passes. I was over 200 miles away and the only way to get my car back to my barracks was to drive it; with no power steering; no brakes; in pouring down rain; on the Autobahn; at 70 miles an hour; at night. On the way home I blew out a spark plug and drop the last 70 miles on 7 cylinders with the smell of gasoline so strong that it would put Maniac to sleep in 5 minutes.

Jecht
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
ryan, get a fucking job.. problem soloved

Stfu Alex, I've got a job. I've also got school, which is more important than my car or my job.

You pussy. I was on the way to a drag strip (read: airfield) in Germany when my master cylinder sprung a hole. Needless to say, I was unable to run any passes. I was over 200 miles away and the only way to get my car back to my barracks was to drive it; with no power steering; no brakes; in pouring down rain; on the Autobahn; at 70 miles an hour; at night. On the way home I blew out a spark plug and drop the last 70 miles on 7 cylinders with the smell of gasoline so strong that it would put Maniac to sleep in 5 minutes.

Wow. :goodjob:

Maniaç
08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to "B" again.

ps; so what the hell are you crying about it?

Leadfoot_mf
08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
thats what you get for driving a ford. :lmfao:

"B"
08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
That is an absolutely 100% true story too.

GSRteg®
Then what do you know what to do just susp....
I'm a suspension junkie, I've never done work on brakes before. Idk how I should disconnect the lines or what connects to the inside of the car and whatnot.

Leadfoot_mf
b why are u on here posting and not on your way to highlands?

"B"
thats what you get for driving a ford. :lmfao:

+ whatever I give.

I plan on getting another one after my boat too.:screwy:

"B"
08-03-2007, 06:50 PM
b why are u on here posting and not on your way to highlands?
They told me 9. I am grilling ribeye.

My ribeye > Highlands anything.

koukis14
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Holy shit please tell me you are being sarcastic.

"B"
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Accident waiting to happen. lol

green91
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM

this man speaks the truth :cry:

ORGANIZATIONXIII
08-03-2007, 08:38 PM
if I'm not mistaken I know on honda's the master cylinder is under the pass. seat.. where are they at on VWs?

Echonova
08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
if I'm not mistaken I know on honda's the master cylinder is under the pass. seat.. where are they at on VWs?Behind the glovebox. But if you know nothing about brakes, how are you so sure it's the master cylinder and not a blown line or slave cylinder(if you have rear drums)?

sullen
08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
master cyl connects to brake pedal via pushrod. go underneath the dash, disconnect the rod. get the wrenches and remove all the brake hard lines coming out of the master cyl. remove the nuts holding the cylinder to the firewall, pull it out. install is the reverse process. once reinstalled, just need to bleed the lines. done.

sullen
08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Holy shit please tell me you are being sarcastic.

i hope so...

Echonova
08-03-2007, 10:12 PM
master cyl connects to brake pedal via pushrod. go underneath the dash, disconnect the rod. get the wrenches and remove all the brake hard lines coming out of the master cyl. remove the nuts holding the cylinder to the firewall, pull it out. install is the reverse process. once reinstalled, just need to bleed the lines. done.But on a VW if you do that, the Trezel rod will hit the Conuter valve and cause a left-handed smoke shift pattern. Think of that smart guy?

sullen
08-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Think of that smart guy?

nope...

Echonova
08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sullen again.

sullen
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
dunno what for but

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Echonova again.

Jecht
08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Behind the glovebox. But if you know nothing about brakes, how are you so sure it's the master cylinder and not a blown line or slave cylinder(if you have rear drums)?

Well its got discs, no drums. I checked all of the brake lines, none of them are leaking and they are all properly connected. I checked the pedal assembly and there was nothing wrong there. From what I've looked up so far, the brake master cylinder has two parts inside of it: one for the passenger side brakes and the other for the driver side. I could push the pedal all the way to the floor with almost zero pressure but once I got it all the way down the brakes on the driver side would grab a little and the car would pull to the left. That leads me to believe that together they make the pedal stiff but when one of them fails that there is not pressure on the pedal but the working side still works a little.

Sorry I don't know the technical terms for those little parts. I'm trying to teach myself about brakes while I figure out how to fix it.

I'm not sure though, its just a guess since I couldn't find anything else.

Anyways, +1 to everyone who posted, even those who don't care and those who tell me the wrong procedure. :goodjob:

I believed you until I looked it up myself!

sullen
08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Well its got discs, no drums. I could push the pedal all the way to the floor with almost zero pressure but once I got it all the way down the brakes on the driver side would grab a little and the car would pull to the left.
Anyways, +1 to everyone who posted, even those who don't care and those who tell me the wrong procedure. :goodjob:

I believed you until I looked it up myself!

as in the car actually stops? checked to see if the rotors are worn then? if the car stops, could just be the rotors are worn from bad balancer valve, in that case, new brakes and new diverter valve. master cyl would be ok then.

Jecht
08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
as in the car actually stops? checked to see if the rotors are worn then? if the car stops, could just be the rotors are worn from bad balancer valve, in that case, new brakes and new diverter valve. master cyl would be ok then.

Rotors looked fine a week ago when I had the wheels off changing the camber. :???:

Yes, the car slows down a little. Its not enough to drive on the street though. I had to use the e-brake all the way home. People were giving me WTF??? kinda looks. :lmao:

sullen
08-03-2007, 11:19 PM
give the 1 finger salute

Jecht
08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
give the 1 finger salute

I only have two middle fingers and they were both for the car today.

Leadfoot_mf
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
lol i knew u could find the answer if pushed.
okay seriously does the pedal get soft and u can pump it up to get pressure or does it go right to the floor with no resistance? also do u have abs?

speedminded
08-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Just keep pumping, normally on the 5th or 6th pump you can still get enough pressure for a little braking...at least enough to equal out the e-brake to prevent sliding to a stop.

I drove from Lilburn to S. Cobb drive on the other side of Smryna with ZERO brakes one morning in rushhour traffic...talk about fun! All because i didn't have a second person to help me bleed them until i got to work.

OR how about driving over the mountain going towards Suches from Dahlonega in a truck while racing a Mustang then once i got over the top realized i had NO brakes after the pedal went to the floor...none what so ever...the master cylinder was bone dry. Somehow I made it down to the bottom but that first turn sucked!

Let's not talk about the week I commuted from Gainesville to Buckhead every single day with NO clutch...now that was a great time!

Leadfoot_mf
08-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Just keep pumping, normally on the 5th or 6th pump you can still get enough pressure for a little braking...at least enough to equal out the e-brake to prevent sliding to a stop.

I drove from Lilburn to S. Cobb drive on the other side of Smryna with ZERO brakes one morning in rushhour traffic...talk about fun! All because i didn't have a second person to help me bleed them until i got to work.

OR how about driving over the mountain going towards Suches from Dahlonega in a truck while racing a Mustang then once i got over the top realized i had NO brakes after the pedal went to the floor...none what so ever...the master cylinder was bone dry. Somehow I made it down to the bottom but that first turn sucked!

Let's not talk about the week I commuted from Gainesville to Buckhead every single day with NO clutch...now that was a great time!
i guess now u know the importance of maintenance.

Jecht
08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
lol i knew u could find the answer if pushed.
okay seriously does the pedal get soft and u can pump it up to get pressure or does it go right to the floor with no resistance? also do u have abs?

Straight to the floor. No resistance. Pumping doesn't help either.

Leadfoot_mf
08-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Straight to the floor. No resistance. Pumping doesn't help either.
drive it to my house i can help you fix it. and i have an awesome set of tools.

xLSTONEx
08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
The sooner you get rid of that car, your chances of ever getting laid are going to go up. Not much, but up a little.

BTLFED
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
The sooner you get rid of that car, your chances of ever getting laid are going to go up. Not much, but up a little.

Quit giving the kid false hope.

JITB
08-04-2007, 12:06 PM
just ebrake it to the parts store.. and start fixing.... u know what u got to do...DO IT!

i fixed my clutch slave/master cylinder on the side of the road in the muddy grass...car is gonna break, and most of the time you wont be prepared... so get used to it..:)

Jecht
08-04-2007, 06:29 PM

I get laid on a daily basis, you ass. Some of us don't need a nice car to get chicks.

Anyways, I already fixed my car. :2up:

Leadfoot_mf
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
dude sexors with self dont count

speedminded
08-04-2007, 06:37 PM
dude sexors with self dont countneither do fleshlights, lol :tongue:

xLSTONEx
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
I get laid on a daily basis, you ass. Some of us don't need a nice car to get chicks.

Anyways, I already fixed my car. :2up:
she just graduated high school, i doubt you get laid everyday, but I wouldn't mind asking Laura if you do or not...

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/104/117/1122600519/n1122600519_30117468_3749.jpg

Wurm
08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
i would bench bleed it before i install a new one that way the brake bleeding will be a little easier.

speedminded
08-04-2007, 08:53 PM
i would bench bleed it before i install a new one that way the brake bleeding will be a little easier.laura or the car?

Wurm
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
laura or the car?
either one

Jecht
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
she just graduated high school, i doubt you get laid everyday, but I wouldn't mind asking Laura if you do or not...

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/104/117/1122600519/n1122600519_30117468_3749.jpg

She said that its sad you have to own a nice car for you to get laid.

I agree, I drive a shitty little VW. :goodjob:

xLSTONEx
08-05-2007, 02:29 AM
She said that its sad you have to own a nice car for you to get laid.

I agree, I drive a shitty little VW. :goodjob:
I'll make sure to ask her that!