PDA

View Full Version : Ron's Auto Sales Featured in the AJC today!

Brandon C
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
The Ajc came out and did a story on us:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/badie/entries/2007/08/02/_hed_been_a_fra.html

Used-car salesman with heart
By RICK BADIE | Thursday, August 2, 2007, 06:00 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

He’d been a fraud investigator for three years when his boss suggested he go into business for himself. It was a nice way to tell Ron Rigdon his services were no longer needed.

One day, Rigdon and his wife, Debbie, were driving down West Pike Street in Lawrenceville when traffic slowed. Rigdon spotted a defunct car lot to his right with a “For Rent” sign.

“I looked at Debbie and said, ‘Honey, let’s sell some cars.’ ” he said. “I knew nothing about the car business.”

But this country boy, whose grandfather was the late Mack McCollough, a Lawrenceville police chief, knew how to survive.

With a $20,000 equity line, he launched Ron’s Auto Sales Inc., in 2002. He couldn’t afford to buy any vehicles so he put his 1996 Ford F-150 in the lot. (It wasn’t on the lot long. About a week, selling for $8,200.) He arranged consignment deals with folk trying to sell privately owned vehicles. A family friend who ran a used-car dealership lent Rigdon 10 cars to beef up inventory.

Today, Ron’s Auto Sales is located at 366 W. Pike St., a mere two blocks from its original location. Only difference: The Rigdons own the business.

Last week, the boss of an East Point car dealership apparently snapped and killed two employees who had been hounding him about raises. He told police he had been under a lot of financial stress.

This story got me to thinking about family-run dealerships, how they don’t have the franchise budget to rely on when business goes south. Research led me to Ron’s Auto Sales Inc., where the Badie Tour stopped Wednesday.

Ron Rigdon attributes my visit to divine intervention. He does more than sell cars, but more on that later.

The Rigdons know what it’s like to weather the ups and downs of the used-car business, an industry not for the faint or fickle.

“If you aren’t prepared for the down times — and right now, the times are slow — you’re in trouble,” Debbie Rigdon told me. “[The East Point dealer] probably didn’t have the money to pay his bills.”

And there are many to pay, noted Ron, her husband of 30 years.

“Everybody wants a piece — the parts store, the tire store, the dent repair man, the advertisers, the detailers and the auction house” that you bought the cars from, regardless of whether they sell or not.

Their business expects to sell about 250 cars this year, for a gross revenue of nearly $3 million. July’s been brutal, though. Only 17 vehicles moved.

For the record, I’ve never bought a car from Ron’s. Before venturing out Wednesday, I checked with the Georgia Better Business Bureau and found no record of customer complaints on file.

Ron Rigdon, a Clark Howard fan, abhors the gimmicks, half-truths and hagglings that take place at some franchises, practices that Mark Solheim, automotive writer for Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, says sullies the car-buying experience for the consumer and the deal-makers.

Apparently, Ron Rigdon likes helping others. He’s established Circle Heart Racing, a race team in which proceeds benefit Speedway Children’s Charities, a NASCAR-sanctioned nonprofit that supports programs for special-needs kids. Rigdon drives the car on the circuit; sponsors and donors pledge money. His 2007 goal is $10,000 and he’s right at $7,800.

“I wanted my racing to be more than just pleasure for me,” he said. “I want it to mean something.”

For more information about Speedway Children’s Charities, visit www.speedwaycharities.org or contact Ron Rigdon at 404-925-7350.

Elbow
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Awesome, congrats!!

civic95
08-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Good article, and nice to see a business run by someone with some morals.

BTW, have any MDX, or IS300s this week?

SLOWLYbtngU
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Aww that is great! Good to see that there are still good people out there.

Got a 240sx? Preferably sharknose?

ep9716
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Coolness!

Brandon C
08-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Got a Pilot..Can get you an MDX

EM1toEVO
08-02-2007, 11:04 AM
It's good to hear that there are still trustworthy people to buy a car from.

civic95
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Got a Pilot..Can get you an MDX

If you see a silver or gray one with any color interior besides tan, with 75K or less for less than $18K let me know.

KPowerEP3
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I like that man. Good way to do business..

you guys still looking for a salesperson, BTW?

Ran
08-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow! Brandon said that in celebration of the media coverage, he's going to give me a free car!! WOOT!! :bump:

Dirty Octopus™
08-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Swwweeeeeeeetttt! congratudamnlations man!! :bump:
you ARE truly an inspiration :goodjob:

Dracc
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Congrats Brandon, and Mr Rigdon

ORGANIZATIONXIII
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
awesome! hopefully this will increase business

Brandon C
08-02-2007, 02:38 PM
If you see a silver or gray one with any color interior besides tan, with 75K or less for less than $18K let me know.

Not a problem come and see me.

As far as a Salesman we are still Taking aplications going to review next week.

Curmudgeon
08-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Ron-
Great write up. Wasn't aware of the circumstances that led to the present. Always like a great success story.
Good luck on the '07 charity goal. Will stop by again soon-

-Mike

Brandon C
08-03-2007, 10:11 AM
THANKS GUYS

quickdodge®
08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Fuck Ron's and the AJC.

Lolol. Later, QD.

con
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
congrats Ron, private owned business FTW!!!

ksinao
08-03-2007, 07:03 PM
good place. i've been there and looked at cars myself