PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods My Turbo Setup....

İhris
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
So far this is what we have decided on.... should be installed by Nopi Nationals if all goes as planned....

Garrett GT2854R Turbo
HKS Turbo Manifold
Spearco FMIC
B&M Commando FLo
GIZZMO VTEC AIR/FUEL CONTROLLER
TIAL BOV
550cc Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Samco Hoses & Clamps
Iridium Plugs

Need to get....
Custom Piping
Oil Lines

İhris
08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Once the turbo is installed I will do some upgrades...

Edit: Going to order another motor to do the build. Then once the motor is done I will transfer the turbo kit to new motor and drop it in :D

Dezods P&P Head + 40-50whp
Dezods Custom Log Manifold + ??? whp
Crower d17 Stage 2 turbo camshaft, valve srpings and retainers.
Internal upgrades, etc....

Its gonna be a long project lol

IndianStig
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM
WOOHOO! GO YOU!

iloveboost
08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
-Get Hondata to tune with.
-If you're going to build the motor, at least get 550cc injectors so there's room to play with.
-Get Main Stream/Turbo Dave to build you an equal length manifold. Don't waste money on a log manifold.
-Main Stream/Turbo Dave can also fab the downpipe, intercooler piping, exhaust and mount the BOV for you.
-Get the Tial over the TurboXS BOV.

Do not buy bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, headers, etc) because you'll have to resell the parts to make room for the turbo parts and it's money that will be lost.

Your best bet is to call Main Stream, tell them your final goal, and you'll save a lot of time, money and effort by buying stuff you don't need.

678-567-9384 - One call, that's all!

İhris
08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Any help is definatly considered. I know nothing really about turbos so if im leaving something off the list please let me know...

here is my plan. I really just want to get the car boosted before Nopi nationals. I get everything wholesale so I have to go through my sponsor but they dont have everything i need. ie. Piping, oil lines, injectors.

They don't make a I/M for the D17 but there are companys that are custom building them for about $1300.

I just want to get the car boosted asap while having something dependable and inexpensive. Once its boosted I will upgrade over time. I think in october I will order another D17 for about $600 and then just build the hell out of it.

iloveboost
08-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Main Stream can fab whatever you don't get. Injectors, oil lines and piping are fairly inexpensive. They can tell you on what sized piping to get to suit your ultimate goal. Same with the intercooler size.

The intake manifold can wait until you build the motor or they can make you a custom one if you wanted.

There's soooo many variables when building something like this. It's best to sit down with them, tell them your final goals and go from there. That way you're not getting RSX-S injectors now, having them installed, and then paying to upgrade to 550cc injectors later on.

İhris
08-01-2007, 10:33 AM
i c... yeah i just want to get the thing boosted before i go and get the manifold and other bolt-ons.

I'll see if i can get some 550cc Injectors.

I have been talking to Mike w/ batlground about doing the install and tuning. It's really gonna come down to price i guess... i know both shops do really good work.

I'll get w/ mainstream and see what they will quote me.

is there anything on the list that I am forgetting to buy??? - one second... gotta update it

LSTurboHatch
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
-Get Hondata to tune with.
-If you're going to build the motor, at least get 550cc injectors so there's room to play with.
-Get Main Stream/Turbo Dave to build you an equal length manifold. Don't waste money on a log manifold.
-Main Stream/Turbo Dave can also fab the downpipe, intercooler piping, exhaust and mount the BOV for you.
-Get the Tial over the TurboXS BOV.

Do not buy bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, headers, etc) because you'll have to resell the parts to make room for the turbo parts and it's money that will be lost.

Your best bet is to call Main Stream, tell them your final goal, and you'll save a lot of time, money and effort by buying stuff you don't need.

678-567-9384 - One call, that's all!
actually depending on what this guy wants you could be misinforming him. log manifolds are better that longer equal lengths if you want fast spool and more midrange power. a ramhorn style or equal length will cause more lag and less midrange power.

check out d-series.org, it and turbod16.com are the most knowledgable single cam websites out there. there is a car on d-series making well over 400 horsepower on stock sleeves ,stock intake manifold, stock TB, and stock head, with a log style manifold.

Hitman3.1
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
no seriously use tial over turbo xs, I agree with Iloveboost and use hondata or crome gold (2 step ftw) for tuning, and 550cc injectors.

are you going internal or external wastegate?

İhris
08-01-2007, 10:41 AM
400 hp from a D17 w/ stock manifold and head is impossible. The D16 and D17 are 2 completely different motors. The head and I/M on the D17 are worthless. The D17 i/m is plastic and there is no breathing room in the head.

İhris
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
no seriously use tial over turbo xs, I agree with Iloveboost and use hondata or crome gold (2 step ftw) for tuning, and 550cc injectors.

are you going internal or external wastegate?

The T28 i think has an internal wastegate

Vteckidd
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
LOL@Equal length manifold for a D17

YOull want a log manifold over some tubular manifold for the low boost your planning on having. the turbo isnt big enough to warranty some equal length custome manifold that will cost you $800+

That turbo will LONG Max out before you get near 400whp. that turbo is only good for 300whp at the most which will blow the D series up in no time.

If you decide to do a built motor, youll want to invest in REAL ENGINE MANAGMENT . RIght now, just do an FMU and a VAFC and see what you can get out of it, prob right around 200whp at 8psi.

Vteckidd
08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Personally, i would put the turbo kit on , drive around for awhile, then buy a K20A2 swap.

BOosting the D series seems to be a waste of time, everyone that has done it locally has blown them up making any serious power

İhris
08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Personally, i would put the turbo kit on , drive around for awhile, then buy a K20A2 swap.

BOosting the D series seems to be a waste of time, everyone that has done it locally has blown them up making any serious power

sounds like a plan. btw did u get my most recent email??

İhris
08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
and in reponse to what mike said... yes im only looking for 200-220whp. THe turbo is mainly just for show and to make the car a little more fun to drive

edit: I wanted to Build another D17 as a future project... but like mike said i should prob just K Swap down the road

Vteckidd
08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
that turbo you selected is fine, and i dont mean to hate on the D series, i just know from EXPERIENCE.

I would get 200-220whp an enjoy it

iloveboost
08-01-2007, 11:50 AM
yes im only looking for 200-220whp.
Then that's a different story. Get a log manifold and enjoy the stock motor. Although, if you're eventually going to do a K swap, why waste money on a turbo kit for the D series? Put that money towards a K swap.

Vteckidd
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
cause a 8psi turbo D will be just as fast as a stock K

İhris
08-01-2007, 11:53 AM

for a lot less money too.... Once the car is paid off I will get the KSwap. That should be around 2009 lol

LSTurboHatch
08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
400 hp from a D17 w/ stock manifold and head is impossible. The D16 and D17 are 2 completely different motors. The head and I/M on the D17 are worthless. The D17 i/m is plastic and there is no breathing room in the head.
yea i know i was just stating that a log is all you need. my car has a ramhorn and with the precision sc50 it sucks. doesnt want to spool till really high RPM. hopefully when i get it retuned on 15psi with the 35 spooler shot it will go somewhere before 6000 rpm.

İhris
08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
yea i know i was just stating that a log is all you need. my car has a ramhorn and with the precision sc50 it sucks. doesnt want to spool till really high RPM. hopefully when i get it retuned on 15psi with the 35 spooler shot it will go somewhere before 6000 rpm.

.... :thinking: have no idea what any of that means hehehe Im lacking the Turbo lingo lol

Whiteboy™
08-01-2007, 01:03 PM
i have heard you can do a Y8 intake swap. I have the whole write up on my computer

İhris
08-01-2007, 01:10 PM
i have heard you can do a Y8 intake swap. I have the whole write up on my computer

yeah ive heard of that... i looked into it the other day and its not worth it imo

LSTurboHatch
08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
ya the lingo takes a little bit to learn... and ya the Y8 intake manifold swap is a bitch.

scttydb411
08-01-2007, 02:54 PM

if you're going that route don't forget a msd btm to control/retard timing under boost.

İhris
08-01-2007, 03:04 PM
if you're going that route don't forget a msd btm to control/retard timing under boost.

Have no idea what that is but you just reminded me to add Iridium plugs to the list :goodjob:

Bruce Leroy
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
You can search around for a used KMS intake manifold. I've READ that they don't do anything for NA power but they work good for boost.

p.s. buy a k-pro!!

İhris
08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
yoooo nick... hang on to that HKS turbo manifold for me bro... im gonna buy it in 2 weeks ok

Professor X
08-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I think everyone posting so far has had good suggestions. I would definately find someone local that has experience such as Mr. Kidd and follow their advice. I am now on my third turbo car and what looks good online isn't always completely accurate. There are people on this board that lie on their numbers and how great the car runs and how it never overheats or backs downpipe bolts out. However, after spending a million bucks, the result is a car that doesn't run, isn't reliable, or something that they have lost interest in completely. You need a good healthy plan that doesn't result in you building something that sucks on the street and is too unreliable to take to the track.

EmminoDaGreat
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM

I disagree on that one.

sullen
08-01-2007, 10:55 PM
LOL@Equal length manifold for a D17

YOull want a log manifold over some tubular manifold for the low boost your planning on having. the turbo isnt big enough to warranty some equal length custome manifold that will cost you $800+

That turbo will LONG Max out before you get near 400whp. that turbo is only good for 300whp at the most which will blow the D series up in no time.

If you decide to do a built motor, youll want to invest in REAL ENGINE MANAGMENT . RIght now, just do an FMU and a VAFC and see what you can get out of it, prob right around 200whp at 8psi.

when we did that t25 turbo kit on my friends d17, the VAFC would correct enough to keep from going lean. go emanage, save the money from the VAFC bullshit. much better system, much more reliable. and you can hide it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb inside the car.

EmminoDaGreat
08-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Dont waste money on bs tuning shit, get Hondata.

SPOOLIN
08-01-2007, 10:58 PM
if you cant spool an sc50, you got issues.

Long manifold is the way to go up to around 300. after that i would look toward something that will funnel your power smoother and more efficiently. I picked up 40whp going to a ram horn over a log manifold and that was from 405 to 445whp a few years ago.

İhris
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
well damn... Hey mike, i'll be at the Dyno day saturday. we'll talk then. If it comes down to me saying to hell with having it done b4 nopi nationals... i guess i'll just throw down a few extra dollars and do it right.

can i not go w/ a VAFC for a few weeks then upgrade??? I just want the shit boosted. Im dropping $2000 a month into the car... i have plenty of time to upgrade

right??

Bruce Leroy
08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
a vafc is not gonna cut it. At the very least get a e-manage.

Autoworks
08-02-2007, 09:58 AM
^^agreed.
If you are going to purchase that kit (or any kit) be sure to set aside $$ for propper management. Probably90% of turbo cars that "fail" do so because of management problems.
E manage or K-pro

İhris
08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
thanks for the help fellas. I'll pass on the VAFC. Emanage is less expensive than the K-pro right??

Autoworks
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Emanage is less$$...I think everything is less money than K Pro

Bruce Leroy
08-02-2007, 11:19 AM
thanks for the help fellas. I'll pass on the VAFC. Emanage is less expensive than the K-pro right??

Yeah the e-manage is less than k-pro. But the e-magage is just a piggy back, whereas the k-pro is a full standalone.

İhris
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
i have a laptop... Emanage can be hooked to that right?? Not that i really have any idea how to manage my air/fuel and shit but I did see a book at barnes and noble on engine managment

LSTurboHatch
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I disagree on that one.
i proved that last night. raced a k20a2 in a eg hatch with my d16z6 on 8 psi. walked out on him nicely.

LSTurboHatch
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
if you cant spool an sc50, you got issues.

Long manifold is the way to go up to around 300. after that i would look toward something that will funnel your power smoother and more efficiently. I picked up 40whp going to a ram horn over a log manifold and that was from 405 to 445whp a few years ago.
sillysohc ramhorn manifold with huge primaries+ sc50+ choked exhaust+ super safe tune with really low EGTs= lotsa lag.

my stupid e-cutout isnt working any more. i think the gear is stripped on it. so right now its 3" dp to 2.5 exhaust. instead of the 3" open DP it was tuned on.

İhris
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
sillysohc ramhorn manifold with huge primaries+ sc50+ choked exhaust+ super safe tune with really low EGTs= lotsa lag.

my stupid e-cutout isnt working any more. i think the gear is stripped on it. so right now its 3" dp to 2.5 exhaust. instead of the 3" open DP it was tuned on.

:thinking:

LSTurboHatch
08-02-2007, 02:11 PM
^^^ its ok i was like that too. anyone know whats up with d-series.org right now???

Autoworks
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
^^^ its ok i was like that too. anyone know whats up with d-series.org right now???
:screwy: I don't know. It'll work one minute, the next minute it's down. :screwy:

LSTurboHatch
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
said earlier that it was expired. i dunno whats up....

İhris
08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I was told to get the E-Manage Ultimate but Greddy doesnt have a wiring harness for my car... can custom wiring be done??

Autoworks
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Check w/ Ryan @ Rywire. He may be able to make you a harness

Bruce Leroy
08-03-2007, 01:21 PM
dezod sells a plug and play harness. Its like 200 i think.

Bruce Leroy
08-03-2007, 01:22 PM
http://www.dezod.com/pd_emanage_plug_and_play.cfm