PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Detailing.

Humphrizzle
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I was just wondering what you all's detailing process is when actually cleaning your own car. Not something you're paid for to make look nice.

My process takes a while...

Interior:
Remove interior including the seats, center console,headliner, carpet, glovebox, door panels and trunk floor and spare wheel.

I then get a bucket of soap and water with sponge/scotchbrite and scrub all crevices and wipe down with microfiber towel.

I go to clean the seats and carpet with a mixture of laundry detergent, distilled water, ammonia, dish soap, and white vinegar.

I clean the rest of the panels off so there is no grease or residue left from when i used armor all for quick cleanups.

I scrub the dash with scotch brite and wipe off with clean microfiber towel. Then immediately after dry, add a coat of armor all "gel" product and let sit for some time until i wipe off the excess with a microfiber towel.

I use an air compressor to blow the air vents out or to break loose some dust that should need to come out.

I treat the windows with generic glass cleaner foam using microfiber towel.

clean trunk with tire shine for the sound deadening and spare tire to shine.

allow seats and carpet to dry in sun before installation.

Exterior:

I remove everything including wheels, tail lights, head lights, license plate, antenna, front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts to be thorough cleaning the exterior.

I start with the fender well and wheels. I shoot some wheel acid [I stole from a Mercedes dealership where my friend worked] on both the wheel and fender well. I scrub my caliper with a wire brush and spray brake parts cleaner on it, waiting for everything to be cleaned and then scrub with scotch brite sponge before rinsing. (Ceramic brake pads so I dont need to do much with the wheels)

I move on to the front end where I use my pressure washer to break loose any dirt or grime I see on the Radiator support bracket and inside of the bumper and rinse the rest of the car also.

I rinse the car and clay the car with one of my Clay Magic clay bars.

I use the 2 bucket method with my own concoction of soaps for the wash.

With my terry cloth/sponge mit, I scrub each body panel thoroughly and rinse immediately. 2x

For wax, I use a meguiars cleaner wax, a meguiars#21 sealer wax, and the meguiars #26.

For the trunk and tail lights, I get a microfiber towel wet and scrub until I see no dirt visible

Engine Bay:

I clean the engine bay very differently than many people do. I've nearly messed up my engine from cleaning with water improperly so I don't use it much.

I get 1 can of Brake Parts Cleaner and spray it heavily around every part of the engine I want to be clean and follow with a towel. [I use the brake parts cleaner because it evaporates easily and doesn't leave anything behind.]

I then use WD-40 on the hoses. [WD is good for the hoses because the lubricant soaks into the rubber hoses to condition them and make sure they will not rip or tear.]

I wipe down the fender linings the same as the trunk and clear the headlights.

Reassemble the exterior.

Then I take pictures of the car.

I only do this about 1 time a year usually a weekend during the summer.

Post your detailing play by play

speedminded
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37771

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35255564&postcount=22

Sammich
07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
i'm glad you made that second post speed...reps now i can use that to do my engine bay

Humphrizzle
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
gorgeous.

It'd be better if the int pics werent b&w but You do great work.

allmotoronly
07-31-2007, 06:38 PM
EBP EM1 I usully follow almost the same method as you about once a year (and every time I buy a new car). Between big details, I only remove the seats from the interior, not the carpet. I also Clay bar my car about 4 times a year (every 3 months or so) and apply the meguiars 3 part wax, with an additional thin layer of megiuars gold on top. I hand buff the shit out of it to make sure there is no build up. Many thin layers of wax usually works out better for me than one or two thick layers. For the engine, I use industrial engine degreaser. Spray it on, wait 5 min, and rinse it off. I try not to soak any electrical components (alternator, fuse box, etc). Then I always put the car on jack stands and clean the bottom of the car with degreaser first, then go over with a car wash blend of my own.

speedminded
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
EBP EM1 I usully follow almost the same method as you about once a year (and every time I buy a new car). Between big details, I only remove the seats from the interior, not the carpet. I also Clay bar my car about 4 times a year (every 3 months or so) and apply the meguiars 3 part wax, with an additional thin layer of megiuars gold on top. I hand buff the shit out of it to make sure there is no build up. Many thin layers of wax usually works out better for me than one or two thick layers. For the engine, I use industrial engine degreaser. Spray it on, wait 5 min, and rinse it off. I try not to soak any electrical components (alternator, fuse box, etc). Then I always put the car on jack stands and clean the bottom of the car with degreaser first, then go over with a car wash blend of my own.And this ladies and gentleman is history in the making, how the OCD Car Club began. OCDCC haha :tongue:

speedminded
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
lol @ Team OCD :D

Ruststang
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
i detail for my job... i have a manual i work off of though.. but when i do my own car:when i keep the same car for awhile: I start from the headliner with my air compressor to blow dust and any loose girl hairs or anything and i work my way down to the dash. Working the dust from the vents and the cup holders and getting as much stuff into the floor boards as i can also blowing under and between the seats. After blowing everything to the front and back i vac it all then take a carpet brush to loosen anything else then vac, Then some carpet shampoo misted on the floor to use my brush and towel for stains/stripping the carpets. and i use generic leather cleaner and conditioner . and i armorall all of the dash and door panels... I like to work on the outside more than the in. i normally cut any scratches with my high speed buffer and 3 m rubbing compound then i like to use the 3m finish restorer to foam pad the whole car making it very hot and smooth then i use mother carnuba wax on my orbiting waxer. Tires and windows then im done.. Its tough to work on your own car when you do it for a living ive found out.

Ruststang
07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
EBP EM1 I usully follow almost the same method as you about once a year (and every time I buy a new car). Between big details, I only remove the seats from the interior, not the carpet. I also Clay bar my car about 4 times a year (every 3 months or so) and apply the meguiars 3 part wax, with an additional thin layer of megiuars gold on top. I hand buff the shit out of it to make sure there is no build up. Many thin layers of wax usually works out better for me than one or two thick layers. For the engine, I use industrial engine degreaser. Spray it on, wait 5 min, and rinse it off. I try not to soak any electrical components (alternator, fuse box, etc). Then I always put the car on jack stands and clean the bottom of the car with degreaser first, then go over with a car wash blend of my own. do yourself a favor stop beating yourself in the head and get a high speed dewalt buffer and some bonnets and learn how to use it :goodjob:

speedminded
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
i normally cut any scratches with my high speed buffer and 3 m rubbing compound then i like to use the 3m finish restorer to foam pad the whole car making it very hot and smooth then i use mother carnuba wax on my orbiting waxer...Gotta play some ambient or lounge music in background, candles everything, massaging her shoulders while telling her what you do with for a living... haha