PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Police Speed Radars

dtmcnamara
07-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Ok i got pulled over today and the police stated that he was using a moving radar, anyone know how acurate these things are? He stated that while comming out of a turn I was doing 57 in a 35, which I know is bull, but o well. I guess a 4 door accord with bald tires all around in the rain can take a turn that fast, who am I to say I am just a "PUNK ASS KID" But anyways here the situation:

The cop was driving against me and as I pulled out of the turn I saw the cop, MAYBE 25-30 yards in front of me. Next thing you know as he passes me the lights turn on and he pulls a U turn right in themiddle of this small 2 lane road. I figure the cop is pulling me over because I have no front bumper and fenders, so I am pulling over and grabbing my paper work for the purchase of the items to show the cop that the parts were going to be in ASAP and pretty much tell him that I am sorry for not haveing a bumper. Next thing you knwo the cops walking up as I pull the papers out and says "57 in a 35". SO....he told me he was using a moving radar to clock me but I KNOW FOR A FACT my car couldnt go around that corner at that speed with the rain and bald tires, even with new tires and dry my car squeels at 50 I know I have tested it. So anyone got any ideas. I am already taking picture of the corner I have papers on the weather, showing the conditions of the road, also I am taking picture of the tires on my car just in case then I guess I will be callin a lawyer? I dont need this crap I am 19 and already lost my license once, I hope it wont be gone again....

PS- I was told I should also get me speedometer checked just to make sure also? Anything else I should check? THANKS

David T. McNamara

accrdpusha
07-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Same thing happened to me on killian hill right off of 29. you aint gonna win, believe me, cops are hurtin these days.

LQQKITZME
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
yeah you won't win unless the cop don't show up for court

SLOWR/T
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
if it was raining out he couldnt get an accurate reading on you in the first place. second youll need to talk to a lawyer. if your tire are blad i dont think it would be a good idea to take pics to court of them. just talk to a lawyer and go from there

good luck

dtmcnamara
07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
well the tires arent bald, but they sure dont have enough tred on them to take a turn going that fast. Also I just drove on the turn 20 minuets ago and was trying to go 55 around it and my tires squeeled so yesterday when I went around the turn there was no squeeling so there is no way I could have gone this fast. I just hate cops like this, he was a cocky 26-29 year old whos suckin the mayer off just to keep a job. Also I still love the "STREET RACER" comment about my car...just cause I cant afford a new front bumper and fenders dosent mean I am a street racer....it just means the person before me ran the car into a curb and tore the original one off...

SLOWR/T
07-13-2005, 09:14 AM
what kind of street racer comment did he make about your car?

brads94accord
07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
yeah good luck fighting that. cops do have moving radar, its mounted in the front and rear of their car. and recently they can turn it on and off whenever they want and it automatically calibrates itself to the speed of their car.

BTEC
07-13-2005, 09:43 AM
22 over the speed limit so u shouldnt loose ur license unless u got alot of points. i think u loose them automatically at 24 over the speed limit and ur under 21 years old. if u can afford to pay a lawyer and see if they can get the speed reduced i would. other than that ur only best bet is to hope hes a slack ass and dnt how up to court. When u go to court and the judge see that u drive a honda, u automatically loose. Every time i start to tell somebody what kinda honda i drive im automatically associated with street racing. oh yeah, and i have heard of ppl getting tickets for having bald tires so keep that on the low for real. Good luck

Jaimecbr900
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
#1 He can clock you while he's coming at you.

#2 He can clock you in the rain.

#3 It will be his word against yours in court. I.E. you will lose.

#4 If you were going anywhere near 50, even by your own admission, in a 35....you WERE speeding AND in the rain???? Anyway you cut it, he could've still given you too fast for conditions, and that ticket doesn't require a radar reading.....

#5 The bald tire argument is not a very good one. Is like telling the judge, "I killed somebody, just not THIS somebody...." Durr Durr.....In case you didn't know, bald tires are in fact against the law. It is a ticketable offense, so it would be a silly defense.

#6 If it was just you and him on this 2 lane road.....again, you will lose. No longer could you possibly even use the defense of "it was someone else he clocked..". Again, not looking good towards a defense.

#7 Getting a lawyer for a speeding ticket in 99% of the situations is like pissing into the wind. You'll simply spend more money than if you simply paid the speeding fine and moved on.

#8 There are only a handful of defenses that WORK and are legal against radar guns. So far, you've not mentioned a single situation in which any would apply. I.E. you're simply stuck paying the fine and moving on.

BTW, just FYI.....I've been driving longer than you've been alive and had more tickets than you could even imagine. My observations and advice come from that very experience. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just telling you like it is so you don't harbor false hope. Sorry my man, that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

My :2cents:

lowjack
07-13-2005, 11:17 AM
If you really want to know if you can win or not take it to court and get a trial date set. Being that the officer has to disclose all the info to prove your guilty prior to the court date. (Discovery which you have to request the information from the prosocution) He should disclose the time and date he last adjusted and sync'd his radar gun. This is to include an ENTIRE page showing the dates of the gun and all who have used it. If he has Video, most radars are linked to it and show your speed when he clocks you. If the data on the sync is not current then you might have a chance.

If it claibrated then your screwed and just give a plea to the prosocution before the court date and deal with sentence.

Only say this because I did it in Miss. back in 1991 and won due the radar being unclaibrated and the officer not being trained on how to calibrate it.

Food for thought,

Scott
350z

dtmcnamara
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
what kind of street racer comment did he make about your car?

He just stated that I was driving a street racer...i guess not having a front bumper and fenders defines someone as driving a street race car?

22 over the speed limit so u shouldnt loose ur license unless u got alot of points. i think u loose them automatically at 24 over the speed limit and ur under 21 years old. if u can afford to pay a lawyer and see if they can get the speed reduced i would. other than that ur only best bet is to hope hes a slack ass and dnt how up to court. When u go to court and the judge see that u drive a honda, u automatically loose. Every time i start to tell somebody what kinda honda i drive im automatically associated with street racing. oh yeah, and i have heard of ppl getting tickets for having bald tires so keep that on the low for real. Good luck

Well 22 will probably end my driving again. I just paid off a 20 over ticket not but 2 weeks ago and I have already lost my license twice. I am 19 and just had my license back for a year and a month today so I guess I just dont have good luck driving. I will probably just end up TRYING to get a lawyer to make a deal with the judge to reduce the speed just so I can keep my license and get to school and work...hopefully

Jaimecbr900
07-13-2005, 07:23 PM
You think maybe you need to just slow down a little?????

2 license suspensions and a pair of tickets in such a short period of time didn't teach you about what kind of "breaks" you're gonna get when you go in front of a judge????? You know he will have your previous record right in front of him/her when you go there, right?

BTEC
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
19? you better get a lawyer, quick. The judge is gonna look at you as a repeat offender and someone who didnt learn their lesson the 1st time. Man, that really sucks. All i can say now is good luck.

SniperJoe
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I guess I just dont have good luck driving

Guess again.

5thgcelica
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
uhm at that rate. pay the ticket. and just say you were guilty.

maybe you could try it if you didnt have anything else before..

but honestly. if i were the judge...id see all these offences..and then look at all the stuff you are trying to prevent another ticket...just makes it seem like you dont want to pay another ticket.

sorry dude.

99ITRGIRL
07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
wow, good luck

BTEC
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
u could use ur no lo contender plea and pay the fine but no points no license suspension. i just thought of that. CALL A LAWYER TO VERIFY MY INFO IN CORECT THOUGH!!! u get to use this plea once every 5 yrs and all that i said above i think i still right. If u get caught using it more than one time in 5yrs u get jail time so if im right and it wrks u better get a 10speed bc u street racer punk dnt learn. lol!! Naw, good luck again and double check that advise with a lawyer bc it couldve change and i could b a little off. i used mine like 3 or 4 yrs ago. l8er

flysi00
07-13-2005, 11:12 PM
wow, good luck

yeah good luck kid

dtmcnamara
07-14-2005, 08:59 AM
You think maybe you need to just slow down a little?????

2 license suspensions and a pair of tickets in such a short period of time didn't teach you about what kind of "breaks" you're gonna get when you go in front of a judge????? You know he will have your previous record right in front of him/her when you go there, right?

I know he will have all the other stupid crap I have done. But all that was in the past, my first license suspensions was the first week I had my license and I was stupid, then I got it suspended again before I even had it back because I had to get to work so I just drove to work and I got pulled over becuse someone reported a car that looked like the one I was driving as stolen so that was the second time. Now i dont know what to say...the 90 in a 70 was my fault I was just driving home behind my parents from the beach and lets just say a silver mustang GT with turndowns isnt quiet so I guess the cop decided to pull that car over instead of my parents and the other 5 or 6 cars in front of us. I dont mind that ticket though becasue I was speeding. The thing that tickes me off is that I WASNT SPEEDING this time. Lets just put it this way, I took my girls mustang GT around the same corner at 50 and shes go new tires with less that 2,000 miles on them and the car squeeled all around the corner and this was with no rain. I still just dont see how I could have been going 57 around that damn thing without flying into the ditch....maybe the cop just will be lazy and not show up to the cort date....I guess all I can do is hope for the best and brace for the worst.

dtmcnamara
07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
u could use ur no lo contender plea and pay the fine but no points no license suspension. i just thought of that. CALL A LAWYER TO VERIFY MY INFO IN CORECT THOUGH!!! u get to use this plea once every 5 yrs and all that i said above i think i still right. If u get caught using it more than one time in 5yrs u get jail time so if im right and it wrks u better get a 10speed bc u street racer punk dnt learn. lol!! Naw, good luck again and double check that advise with a lawyer bc it couldve change and i could b a little off. i used mine like 3 or 4 yrs ago. l8er

I did think about this, and luckly I havent used this yet, I guess I am sort of lucky. I will talk to a few personal friends, who are lawyers, about this and see what they say. Hopefully it will work, all I need is to keep my license, I am just about to start school back up and I finally got a full time job, this could screw everything up...I will keep you guys informed.

Crowml
07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Great legal advice Jaime and Scott. :goodjob: You guys know your stuff pretty well.

As far as the nolo please goes, he can't use it. It only works if you don't have a similar offense in that last 12 mos.

My advice, get a lawyer. Your rap sheet and your word are worth nothing against an officers. Your other arguments are just based on everyday excuses the judge and the officer here everyday. Your only help is to plea bargain and keep your license.

Jaimecbr900
07-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Great legal advice Jaime and Scott. :goodjob: You guys know your stuff pretty well.

As far as the nolo please goes, he can't use it. It only works if you don't have a similar offense in that last 12 mos.

Thanks. Unfortunately some of that came at a heavy price as I previously mentioned. I learned from the school of hard knocks..... :(

I tried to look up the NOLO plea for this case, but I couldn't find anything definitive to do so or not. I was thinking that NOLO wouldn't work in this case, but I wasn't sure. He may be able to plead it, but it may not get him any less than simply pleading guilty.

A free consultation to an attorney may be able to answer that question.

speedminded
07-14-2005, 12:40 PM
u could use ur no lo contender plea and pay the fine but no points no license suspension. i just thought of that. CALL A LAWYER TO VERIFY MY INFO IN CORECT THOUGH!!! u get to use this plea once every 5 yrs and all that i said above i think i still right. If u get caught using it more than one time in 5yrs u get jail time so if im right and it wrks u better get a 10speed bc u street racer punk dnt learn. lol!! Naw, good luck again and double check that advise with a lawyer bc it couldve change and i could b a little off. i used mine like 3 or 4 yrs ago. l8erwow. if you "get caught using it"? err...the solicitor has your driving record printed out, they know exactly what you have and what your plea was for each offense....you can't plea more than once every 5 years. There is no jail time...they can't punish you for their own mistakes if it did happen to make it through.

Lets just put it this way, I took my girls mustang GT around the same corner at 50 and shes go new tires with less that 2,000 miles on them and the car squeeled all around the corner and this was with no rain. I still just dont see how I could have been going 57 around that damn thing without flying into the ditch....maybe the cop just will be lazy and not show up to the cort date....I guess all I can do is hope for the best and brace for the worst.lol, come on now....anyone knows a stock accord can out handle a mustang :) Squealing tires in the rain sucks, you know you're doing something wrong when that happens...especially in a turn.

Z33_kid
07-15-2005, 09:24 PM
o well

GsrCrx
07-16-2005, 12:22 AM
They cn actually reject your NOLO plea, i tried pleading NOLO, and they rejected it and suspended my license anyways, by the ways i was doing 57 on a 25 zone, sogood luck if u try to plea NOLO.

BTEC
07-16-2005, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=speedminded]wow. if you "get caught using it"? err...the solicitor has your driving record printed out, they know exactly what you have and what your plea was for each offense....you can't plea more than once every 5 years. There is no jail time...they can't punish you for their own mistakes if it did happen to make it through.

I was just stating what the solicitor and judge told me when i went to court once. I know they have ur record printed out that why i told him it wasnt good bc they would see him as a repeat offender. its been a while since i been to court that why i said check the info with a lawyer bc like i originally said, i could be wrong.

SandM
07-16-2005, 07:28 PM
well, heres a story. i had a reckless driving ticket in gwinnett county. i took pictures of the mall parking lot where it was, took a drag slip from the track, and calculated that i could not have been going nearly that fast. i pleaded not guilty and waited to talk to the solicitor. without showing anything, just saying that i knew i was not driving at a reckless speed.... ticket dropped to "too fast for conditions". 0 points!
whats the lesson from this? the court solicitor is a saving grace, be confident, take proof (just in case), and try to convince them that you are at least marginally right, and maybe, just maybe you will be lucky... i was.

quickdodgeŽ
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=speedminded]wow. if you "get caught using it"? err...the solicitor has your driving record printed out, they know exactly what you have and what your plea was for each offense....you can't plea more than once every 5 years. There is no jail time...they can't punish you for their own mistakes if it did happen to make it through.

I was just stating what the solicitor and judge told me when i went to court once. I know they have ur record printed out that why i told him it wasnt good bc they would see him as a repeat offender. its been a while since i been to court that why i said check the info with a lawyer bc like i originally said, i could be wrong.

Don't mind him. He knows everything. Later, QD.

98civic_EJ
08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I got caught doing 75 in a 45 and im 16 and they let me keep my license but made me pay a 450 dollar fine.

curves
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
you vs cops = get a lawyer.

lawyer vs cops = lawyers.

lawyer vs you = lawyer - ($$$$)

winner = guy with the most $$$$

technoteg97
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
that sucks..but if you got tint..you can easily win that..just take a picture of a cop cars that are tint n there ya go..lol