PDA

View Full Version : hey guys alil nervous about 1st bike

nipponLIFE
07-27-2007, 03:02 AM
hey guys i posted a thread in whoreslounge but felt it outta place so i thought id ask the same question and just ask for a bit more general info

im lookin to get my first bike...not lookin to use it as like a primary mode of transport just somethin to cruise around in

i was lookin at ninja 250's but katanas are alot cheaper....even though its a 600 and the ninjas are 250s...idk...but idk which is better as a first bike...

im scared 600 will be too much power seein as i am pretty inexperienced i rode like trail bikes and mini bikes and dirt bikes here and there when i was growin up

but i really wanna learn how to ride.

im not a 100% complete bike noob but for someone who was 100% new to bikes or 2 wheeled vehicles period is 600cc too much? should i go 250?

what are some good starter bikes...im lookin for one under a grand....just to learn the basics.....

thanks guys. please no flaming im really just lookin for a good push in right direction

civic95
07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Going to be hard to find something dependable for under $1000. You might find a 70-80's honda CB something for under $1000, but probably even it will need work. I would suggest a Ninja 250, but even a nice one is $2000-$2500

Jaimecbr900
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
First thing you need to do is take a motorcycle rider's course. It teaches you the basics and provides a bike for you to use during the class. It's a weekend type course and really shows good basic steps that will help you out alot.

Second, certain bikes have certain quirks. Find out, within your budget, what bikes you may be narrowed down to. THEN figure out which is best for you out of those few.

Finally, always remember that a motorcycle only has as much response as YOU give it. A 250 maybe nice and nimble and unintimidating, but in about a year it will be getting treated like your first bicycle with training wheels..... :D Seriously, older 600's are not anywhere near as powerful as the newer 600's. If you have self-control, then you can get a 600 and just learn your way thru. Another good choice to consider is the Ninja 500R instead of the 250. It offers far more power for later, and the same nimble easy to ride almost sitting straight kinda feel that inspires novice riders to get better. I had one for years, and ended up giving it to my dad. It still rides just as good as it did when I bought it brand new in 89. Very low maintainance and a bulletproof motor.

My :2cents:

Princess12
07-27-2007, 12:04 PM
First thing you need to do is take a motorcycle rider's course. It teaches you the basics and provides a bike for you to use during the class. It's a weekend type course and really shows good basic steps that will help you out alot.

Second, certain bikes have certain quirks. Find out, within your budget, what bikes you may be narrowed down to. THEN figure out which is best for you out of those few.

Finally, always remember that a motorcycle only has as much response as YOU give it. A 250 maybe nice and nimble and unintimidating, but in about a year it will be getting treated like your first bicycle with training wheels..... :D Seriously, older 600's are not anywhere near as powerful as the newer 600's. If you have self-control, then you can get a 600 and just learn your way thru. Another good choice to consider is the Ninja 500R instead of the 250. It offers far more power for later, and the same nimble easy to ride almost sitting straight kinda feel that inspires novice riders to get better. I had one for years, and ended up giving it to my dad. It still rides just as good as it did when I bought it brand new in 89. Very low maintainance and a bulletproof motor.

My :2cents:

Definitely find a good riding course. I have the schedule and locations for the weekend courses available, and I would be more than happy to post it up for you.

GIXXERDK
07-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Katanas are pretty heavy, might be a better choice to go with the 250

foety_foe
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
go for a GS500. its what i started on. you can find some really cheap ones. lightweight and somewhat quick GS500 are the best for beginners. just my 2 cents. and yes katanas aren't that great. heavy, they are more sport-touring bikes.

Princess12
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Go with the Ninja 250... they are great beginner bikes and they will hold their resale value when you are ready to move up. Everyone is always looking for a good used 250.

nipponLIFE
07-27-2007, 10:15 PM
dude seriously thanks guys! and (girls) LOL i was alil unsure about if ppl where gonna like flame me or not...thats some really good info...i dont mind savin up and spending mroe than a 1g but i just dont wanna get the WRONG bike for me you kno..

how much do these coarses cost?

thanks so mUCH !

David88vert
07-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Get a GS500 and go to the MSF course. Spend your money on getting good gear.

nipponLIFE
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
hey guys. what do yall think about a yamaha seca 2...is that abetter starter bike than a gs500f or gs600. or what about the kawasaki ex500

thanks again!

srtowner
07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Alot of very good advice in this thread. But in all honesty it is good you are a bit nervous about your first bike. It means you won't get out on the street all cocky and acting like a retard on it. The drivers course is a must.

David88vert
07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
hey guys. what do yall think about a yamaha seca 2...is that abetter starter bike than a gs500f or gs600. or what about the kawasaki ex500

thanks again!

Seca 2's and EX500's are great starters also. Whatever you get a good deal on will do. Spend your money on good gear.