PDA

View Full Version : V-tec/Speedometer questions

Axix23
03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Will V-tec work if the speedometer isn't working.....I thought it shouldn't.. But mine still kicks in.. And also what could cause the speedometer to quit working and then come back up sometimes, and sometimes back and forth duing idles??? And also, I can't find the VSS on the tranny... WTF is it??

Vteckidd
03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
if its a cable tranny it runs out of the speedo into the trans with a cable. if you have a VAFC then it will still kick vtec wihtout the VSS. if the idle is jumping around, check your grounds, and check your apark, your dizzy could be going bad

Axix23
03-14-2005, 06:15 PM
funny thing, that guy i got it from had a Apexi-vtec controller in it,and he took it out, he clipped the 2 wires off, but my v-tec still works... The 2 wires are green/yellow (v-tec solenoid wire) and the blue wire(rpm output).. How does my v-tec still work?? If my wires aren't hooked up?? Did he use another 2 wires by-passed to the ecu?? What is apark and dizzy? I am going to check all my grounds. LOL

Axix23
03-14-2005, 06:16 PM
oh, i meant the speedometer jumps up and down during idles....But the engine does that too... LOL

speedminded
03-15-2005, 02:02 AM
VTEC VTEC VTEC. ok, now that that is clear: dizzy would be distributor and the a is right next to the s on your keyboard...spark. It may help to know what car or engine & transmission setup you're talking about...

Axix23
03-15-2005, 04:25 PM
thanks for the slang terms :)

mivec3g
03-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Do you have a tach? Does it work? Vtec is not ran according to your speedo, but your rpms. Your Vtec will kick in when the ecu recieves the notice from the tranny that your engine's rpms is at the level that requires vtec. For example, an EG EX or SI has Vtec kick in when your tranny lets the P28 know that your engine's rpms is at 5,500.

Vteckidd
03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Do you have a tach? Does it work? Vtec is not ran according to your speedo, but your rpms. Your Vtec will kick in when the ecu recieves the notice from the tranny that your engine's rpms is at the level that requires vtec. For example, an EG EX or SI has Vtec kick in when your tranny lets the P28 know that your engine's rpms is at 5,500.
not entirely true, the ECU reeds VSS from the gauge cluster which determines rpm signal off the distributor. if the VSS is not wokring VTEC SHOULD NOT ENGAGE unless you have a VAFC