PDA

View Full Version : shop help

Ruststang
07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
anyone know a shop that can do a jz2-gte swap into a 1998 lexus gs300? or maybe someone knows a site that has instructions on doing the swap?

JCRolla
07-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Dr Tweak??
www.phoenixtuning.com (http://www.phoenixtuning.com/)

NevrNufTorq
07-25-2007, 09:21 PM
mainstream and turbodave could do it for ya.

Turbo Terrance
07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
speaking of a swap theres an 86 supra 4 sale in my area 4 $800 but it has no A/C and a bad auto transmission... should i go 4 it and swap out everything or leave it alone.... cuz i cant find a 240sx anywhere and im not goin honda..... LMK pleaze!!!!!

Jaimecbr900
07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Mahdavi Motorsports.

770-923-1550

Ruststang
07-29-2007, 04:14 PM
speaking of a swap theres an 86 supra 4 sale in my area 4 $800 but it has no A/C and a bad auto transmission... should i go 4 it and swap out everything or leave it alone.... cuz i cant find a 240sx anywhere and im not goin honda..... LMK pleaze!!!!!

Thanks for the attempted thread jacking... Anyway does anyone know of a shop that has done this before?

Jaimecbr900
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the attempted thread jacking... Anyway does anyone know of a shop that has done this before?

Told you already.....;)

Mahdavi Motorsports
770-923-1550
Ask for Arash or Sam

They have done that swap into several cars already, both onto GS's and IS's. :goodjob:

Vteckidd
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
We can do it too

Batlground.com

email [email protected]

Vteckidd
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
FYI the GS300s CAME with 2J motors, they were just NA.

the swap is fairly simple

Turbo Terrance
07-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the attempted thread jacking... Anyway does :blah: anyone know of a shop that has done this before?

Look at the date that i posted that I saw it on autotrader... AND THEN it was on IA......

Sport1.3
07-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I second Batlground. I've seen Mike's work first hand, very clean!

Ruststang
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
could i use the usdm ecu with the jdm engine and tranny ? Im hoping to do so i can still pass emissions.

Dr Tweak
07-31-2007, 08:04 AM
In Atlanta you just have to pass a sniffer test on OBD1 cars, right? The JDM ECU shouldn't have a problem, as long as the engine is in good running order.

-Doc

Sport1.3
07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Yes just sniffer. As long as you run a cat(s) and an o2 you should be fine, even on JDM electronics

Ruststang
07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
i thought since the car is a 98 its obd2 and needs to use the diagnostic port during the emissions test?

Jaimecbr900
07-31-2007, 10:30 PM
could i use the usdm ecu with the jdm engine and tranny ? Im hoping to do so i can still pass emissions.

JDM engine and tranny? What exactly is it that you are trying to do. A 2jzgte swap into a GS3 is a fairly straight forward ordeal. No ecu swaps necessary.

Ruststang
08-01-2007, 05:12 AM
JDM engine and tranny? What exactly is it that you are trying to do. A 2jzgte swap into a GS3 is a fairly straight forward ordeal. No ecu swaps necessary. is there any wiring needed or is my biggest concern going to be intercooler and exhaust?

Jaimecbr900
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
is there any wiring needed or is my biggest concern going to be intercooler and exhaust?

I think we're not communicating correctly about this. I'll tell you what I think I understand.

If you are wanting to do a 2jzde to 2jzdte swap into a GS3, there is no special "wiring" needed because you are simply taking out a 2jz NA motor and swapping it with a 2jz turbo motor. If you are wanting to do the swap, I would summize that you already know the difference between the two motors is all internal. Therefore, electronically they are the same, so no new wiring is needed.

Now, if you are talking about doing a 2jz NA to 2jzdte TURBO swap, there will be some new things needed and it mostly centers around whatever fuel management/controller you choose to go with and what kind of power you're looking for. Even then, it's not something that is rocket science.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Either way, weather mild or wild, Mahdavi has done it several times for my buddies in their GS3's, IS3's, and even on GS4's ;) . Mine is an example of that and it's a DD. ;)

Let me know. :goodjob:

Ruststang
08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
im wanting around 350-400 wheel hp and stick with an auto transmission. As far as fuel goes I would use an afc neo or something of that sort also using a walbro fuel pump. Im thinking my only use for a shop at this point will be intercooler and exhaust hookup and doing the dyno tune.... really im just lazy and would like to have the shop install the engine and transmission swap but if i can save 2 grand doing it myself.

So to sum it up
2jz-ge to 2jz-gte swap
walbro pump
afc neo
intercooler
exhaust
trying to make 350-400 on stock turbos

Ruststang
08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
And do i need to get a vvt-i engine to keep from throwing a check engine light or having emission issues or could i get an older 2jz-gte engine and transmission

Jaimecbr900
08-02-2007, 12:38 AM
im wanting around 350-400 wheel hp and stick with an auto transmission. As far as fuel goes I would use an afc neo or something of that sort also using a walbro fuel pump. Im thinking my only use for a shop at this point will be intercooler and exhaust hookup and doing the dyno tune.... really im just lazy and would like to have the shop install the engine and transmission swap but if i can save 2 grand doing it myself.

So to sum it up
2jz-ge to 2jz-gte swap
walbro pump
afc neo
intercooler
exhaust
trying to make 350-400 on stock turbos

Call the shop. They can explain it infinitely better than I ever could, but I will try.

The NA and GTE motor's differences are internal. Therefore, electronics are not going to be affected. You should be able to simply take the NA motor out, put the GTE motor in, add fuel management components, tune, and enjoy. That is the overly simplistic overview.

Most people and tuners opt to ditch the stock twins to substitute a single turbo instead BTW.

The tranny can hold the 400HP you seek, but it too will need beefing up. Normally, TC and VB is about the prudent extent of it. Cooler is also a smart choice if you want longevity.

The NEO can control that much power if you don't go nuts with the injector size.

Finally, there are several other things you should consider as well to make that type of project a success.

Again, what you should really do is call the shop or better yet drop by and talk to them about what you want to do. They can advice you from there.

2turbo4u
08-02-2007, 01:56 AM
This thread is getting sad like the dog in your sig. Go to ClubLexus.com and all your info is right there bud. Or call any of the shops mentioned above.

Ruststang
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
^^ ok i will check out club lexus.. im not calling shops at this point because im not ready to do the swap and dont want to waste people time at shops with tons of questions.. However thanks for al the info and i will make other posts when the project starts.

Jaimecbr900
08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Look, don't get discouraged. It really isn't that difficult of a swap. I think you've got something different pictured in your head. Think of it this way: A Camaro has a 350 stock motor and you want to jerk that one out and put in a BUILT 350 motor. Do you think you'll need all new wiring? New ecu? All the changes were internal so the electronic part stays the same.

Same here, except for a few minor additions. You will have to get bigger injectors. You will need a fuel controller of some type, which the NEO is a great choice BTW. You will not need a bigger pump, but it is a very good investment. You SHOULD beef up the tranny in order to ensure longevity. An LSD would also be a cool investment because at 400HP peg-legging is not:D . You should let a competent shop do the install so it doesn't end up consting you MORE when you take it to a shop to FIX things that a shade tree mech screwed up.

The only things I changed in my car are the things I've suggested above, and I've daily driven 30K+ miles so far. I don't baby my car at all either. I drive it everyday and run it at the track when necessary. So it can certainly be done, as long as you do it smart. If you use crappy parts and shoddy craftsmanship or push it beyond where it's designed to go, then you will spend more time "down" than you will driving.

Vteckidd
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
usually a 2JZGTE conversion with NEO, install, parts, Seals, timing belt, water pump FMIC system, id say off the top of my head $8000-9000

$2500 motorset
$500 in seals,timing betl, water pump
$1500ish in labor for the swap along with the labor of the maint. stuff
$400 AFC Neo
$1000 for FMIC system
$200 for walbor an install

now it being a 98 im unsure of the obd compatibility

Ruststang
08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
^ alright thanks for all the help and advice im going to call mahdavi in a few weeks and take their advice on everything

Turbo Terrance
08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Does Mahdavi do Interior work too???

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Does Mahdavi do Interior work too???

They install racing seats, gauges, and stuff, but no real "interior" type work. Sorry.

Ruststang
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
$200 dollars for the walbro install does that include the pump? or do i need to provide that?

Ruststang
08-12-2007, 01:25 PM
well i wish there was an easy way of getting this done but im having trouble with getting info on the parts i need... i sent mahdavi an e-mail i dont want to call and waste time if im not ready to get it done. I wish it was just this is what you need now go get it. I want the gte engine with a 5 speed auto tranny and i need it to pass emissions... seems like it would be a simple swap to figure out.

Jaimecbr900
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
well i wish there was an easy way of getting this done but im having trouble with getting info on the parts i need... i sent mahdavi an e-mail i dont want to call and waste time if im not ready to get it done. I wish it was just this is what you need now go get it. I want the gte engine with a 5 speed auto tranny and i need it to pass emissions... seems like it would be a simple swap to figure out.

It is a doable swap for sure. They've done it several times.

After talking to the guys at the shop, it seems I may have been overly simplistic in my previous posts. There is some electronics swapping and wiring requirements, but it's not something that hasn't been done before. They will have to swap out ECU's and harnesses. Again, if you want to know the full extent of what is needed....you really should go up there one afternoon and talk to them. If they are busy at that moment, you may have to come back. But if they're not too busy, I'm sure they can tell you exactly what it involves and costs.

I've already spoken to them and they are expecting your call.....as long as you remember to tell them who sent ya....;)