PDA

View Full Version : CDL Truck Drivers ...I got some questions

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:11 AM
All right so I decide that I want to start a career in Commercial driving.. I'm moreso looking to do the local thing.. Pretty much anything as long as I'm home most nights, if not all, out of the week.. What I need is some info on how to go about getting my CDL. Ive heard of companies that hire you and train you and help you get your CDL as long as you work for them for atleast a year or something along those lines.. I need some numbers and maybe even some connects into this.. any other info or links to where i can get plenty of info would be great..
Thanks in advance.:goodjob:

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
those companies will send you through driving school. but almost all of them are otr companies. getting a cdl is just like getting a regular dl. written test and driving test. written test is easy. but you gotta have a commercial vehicle to take the driving test. and just so you know. its gonna be hard to find a local company that will hire someone with no experience. and if you have any kinda driving record just forget it now. most places wont hire you at all if you have a ticket within 2 yrs no matter your experience. you best bet is to work for a company and get them to help you get the liscense. cause you can get your permit and then learn to drive the truck then use their vehicle to test the driving test.

hope that helps

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
add on:

otr means over the rd. you will be gone mulitple days sometimes weeks

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:20 AM
yea my record isnt excatly the best.. im pretty sure within the last 4 years i only have 1 ticket but if they go back 10 years which ive heard they do well ive had a couple of suspensions from when i was an idiot.

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
you best bet is to work for a company and get them to help you get the liscense. cause you can get your permit and then learn to drive the truck then use their vehicle to test the driving test.

can you explain a little more on this...

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
like work for coke or budweiser where they have commercial trucks but not everyone is a driver. they are willing to help you train to get your liscense. and if you do drugs dont get them either. the penalties for cdl drivers is alot worse. every cdl job has to have drug tests and do alot of random ones also.

or pay like $5k and go a driving school. have the liscense in 3 weeks

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:26 AM
so like start in the warehouse...

also drug is not a prob..

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 12:27 AM
no like start in the truck with the driver. most of them have helpers in the trucks

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:29 AM
ohhh ok.. do they actualy do that...and what kinda money do they make doing that..

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 12:33 AM
no clue do some research

PEST
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
yea im looking it up now.. thanks for all the help...

2turbo4u
07-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Ask Q.D he used to work for Budweiser, and now he's driving for one of the biggest companies outthere.

Vuongy_Dong
07-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Bucky is right. A company might not hire you unless you have atleast 2 years experience. plan to start off making little money. Thats how it is at my company. I was looking to hire a CDL driver for the weekend to move just traiers around our yard and its pretty hard. no one meets our critiria. Driving school will cost you about $3k-$4k. I am about to get my CDL and its pretty easy for me. all i have to do is go take the test since i already know how to drive one and know the airbrake system and have a tractor to use to take the test.

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 09:52 AM
yea cdl drivers make decent money but you deff dont make it starting off

Vuongy_Dong
07-25-2007, 10:17 AM
here's how to make money if you have a CDL:

Buy a tractor and trailer. Get on the internet and pay a monthly fee to access a broker firm that post available loads in the area. Run those lanes constantly. Thats how one of my co-worker did after he resigned at my company. He is depositing $30K+ a month into his bank account. that doesnt mean he makes all of that. he makes about $8k-10K+ a month out of the $30k+. The rest is in tractor and trailer payments, insurance, fuel , maintenance and cost of operating the tractor.

The BUCKY
07-25-2007, 10:26 AM
yea that is deff the way to make the money with a cdl.

hydroshutter
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine is putting 7k into his pocket each month after paying his drivers, maintenance costs in his trucking company...This is also before his trucks are paid off, he'll make more in 2 years when they are.

2.0civic
07-25-2007, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine is putting 7k into his pocket each month after paying his drivers, maintenance costs in his trucking company...This is also before his trucks are paid off, he'll make more in 2 years when they are.

goddamn