PDA

View Full Version : Engine dies/ is dead

thepolecat
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Here is my problem. For about a month I would be driving my car and out of no where it would just shut off and take multiple tries to get it started again. I would try and try and finally just hold the gas down and start the car and I got it going. Well finally one day it shut off while driving down the road and it would start aain no matter what I did. I opened up the gas tank and hear the fuel pump starting. I have a new fuel filter on the car. All new valve gaskets.

Give me your ideas people- soutions, theories, etc. My car has been dead for 2 months so I really want her running again.

Mucho reps for ANY resonable suggestion. And yes, it has gas in it.

Tinton
07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Is it stick? Can't you just pop the clutch when it dies on you?

I don't even know what you drive either...any info on that?

Most I can say right now is you should check the timing belt/chain and make sure its timed right. It was slipping on my old SOHC Sidekick so it would stop running sometimes.

thepolecat
07-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah its a stick, but I cant get it to hold a start. It cranks real strong, and I can press the gas and get a rev out of it but it dies. The starter is the part doing all the work.

As for what I drive, I think we can narrow it down to a honda civic four door, but IDK, my avatar and sig are kinda misleading.

It is a 1994.

thepolecat
07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
more help needed everyone

T34me
07-22-2007, 11:14 PM
dizzy? My integra died on me about a month ago, almost got me killed on the highway, come to find out, not getting any spark, have you pulled the plugs and checked for spark??

thepolecat
07-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Thats what I was thinking too.

iEvo
07-24-2007, 09:59 PM
this is going to sound retarted but it could be ur battery. my instructor "which also has his own shop" had a honda accord come in and the problem was that sometimes the car would start and sometimes it wouldnt. it didnt matter if it was hot, cold, or anything like that, it just sometimes started and sometimes not. well it turns out that there was a weak cell in the battery. so a new battery was put in and the problem hasnt come back

Tinton
07-24-2007, 10:04 PM
this is going to sound retarted but it could be ur battery. my instructor "which also has his own shop" had a honda accord come in and the problem was that sometimes the car would start and sometimes it wouldnt. it didnt matter if it was hot, cold, or anything like that, it just sometimes started and sometimes not. well it turns out that there was a weak cell in the battery. so a new battery was put in and the problem hasnt come back

The battery shouldn't matter if its a stick. Hell I ran a car without a battery for a few minutes to move it, you just get it moving and pop the clutch in 2nd gear, then it'll run off the alternator.

spoolthboost
07-25-2007, 09:12 AM
check your spark, air intake, throttlebody, air filter, and fuel injection it has to be one of the three.

allmotoronly
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
a friend of mine had that problem. It ended up being the fuel pump. It was running but not pumping correctly... I cant remember what was broke in it... this was a while back.

RBS
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
replace your fuel pump and injectors and see if that works

JDMef88
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
same shit happen to me in my 99ex and i have not had it for a mounth...got dizzy replaced, new sparkplugs, new fuel filter, new battery, new fuel pimp, and its still not working. My auto guy who is a family friend could not figure it out, so it got back form honda yesterday, they said i needed a new fuse box ??? and a speed sensor. Apperently my car was getting told it was going faster than it was to the ECU..but i dont see how that shuts my car off...but like i said same problem and i still dont have my car back- lmk whta fixes yours..

thepolecat
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
info reps given

speedminded
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Here is my problem. For about a month I would be driving my car and out of no where it would just shut off and take multiple tries to get it started again. I would try and try and finally just hold the gas down and start the car and I got it going. Well finally one day it shut off while driving down the road and it would start aain no matter what I did. I opened up the gas tank and hear the fuel pump starting. I have a new fuel filter on the car. All new valve gaskets.

Give me your ideas people- soutions, theories, etc. My car has been dead for 2 months so I really want her running again.

Mucho reps for ANY resonable suggestion. And yes, it has gas in it.Ahhh, for the BILLLIONTHHH TIME on IA!! What car, what model, what year, what mods, and what if any work has been done to the car before the problem started...

thepolecat
07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
For the BILLLIONTHHH TIME on IA!! What car, what model, what year, what mods, and what if any work has been done to the car before the problem started...

"Yeah its a stick, but I cant get it to hold a start. It cranks real strong, and I can press the gas and get a rev out of it but it dies. The starter is the part doing all the work.

As for what I drive, I think we can narrow it down to a honda civic four door, but IDK, my avatar and sig are kinda misleading.

It is a 1994."

^^^^This was the third post on the page. I know to put it on there, I was in a hurry. Thanks for the input though.

thepolecat
07-25-2007, 02:11 PM
the car- drivetrain wise- is stock. it has had regular oil changes and maintenance. No work was done prior. It just randomly started. Nothing out of the ordinary.

speedminded
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
"Yeah its a stick, but I cant get it to hold a start. It cranks real strong, and I can press the gas and get a rev out of it but it dies. The starter is the part doing all the work.

It is a 1994."

^^^^This was the third post on the page. I know to put it on there, I was in a hurry. Thanks for the input though.Why on earth should i have to "assume" what car it is???? You want it fixed don't you?

So if you called in for delivery, "Hey man, I want a pizza...can you deliver it in 20 minutes, thanks!" ...uhhh what kind of pizza, what toppings, what's your address...etc etc. etc etc. Sorry to be an ass but damn, who wants to spend their life guessing what something is when all the info could easily be said.

speedminded
07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
the car- drivetrain wise- is stock. it has had regular oil changes and maintenance. No work was done prior. It just randomly started. Nothing out of the ordinary.thanks! workin on it now...

speedminded
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
'94 Civic EX? so it's a D16Z6 i assume?

speedminded
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Have you checked the rotor button? Think someone mentioned the distributor above...

2.0civic
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
LOL at pizza reference

sullen
07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
its a fuel problem. either fuel pump is going bad or injectors going bad or something like that.

thepolecat
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
LX D15B7

And I want Pepperoni and extra cheese Speed.

Rotor looks ok. I have spark, but I cant test how strong it is because the screw that holds the rotor on is fubared. I am quickly coming to the conclusion based on the things that DO work that it is prob the distributor.

Sullen, chief, so sure?

T34me
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
you can pull the plug out of the head, connect it with the wire and set it on the valve to where when your in the car you can see if it is sparking or not. if you see blue, your good, orange no good, or in my case no spark at all and your dizzy is totally fucked.

sleepys4
07-26-2007, 12:47 AM
If you have insurance you can cut down a tree make sure it lands on your. Then you can buy a new one. Let me know how this goes.