PDA

View Full Version : Best way to take off tint?

Clegger
07-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I keep getting f'in tickets for my window tint, my latest one was as I was getting out of my car a cop drives by and parks and then gives me a ticket while we are both standing in front of Chipotle...:gay:

so im tired of the 100$ fines so its time to take it off

but how?

Whiteboy™
07-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Items Needed:
-Razor Blade
-Windex
-Paper Towels
-Patience

Roll your window down a little bit so you can get to the edge of the tint. Then use the razor blade to lift the tint off the window. (best to start in corners) Then just peel that shit off, does take a little while. When your done peeling the window tint off there is going to be glue residue still on the window. DON'T PANIC!!! Just spray windex on it let it sit for 10 seconds or so then scrape the glue off with the razor blade. Use paper towels to dry up excess windex.

Hope this helps.

Clegger
07-22-2007, 01:53 AM
thanks ill try it

changaroo
07-22-2007, 02:18 AM
ammonia also works very well, but it will make your car smell like piss.

do u have access to a portable steamer? it also works very well :)

whatever you do, be careful with the rear defrost lines. one little scratch can render the whole circuit useless.

Clegger
07-22-2007, 02:32 AM
^^ im leaving the back windows on but thats a good tip

Benefit
07-22-2007, 03:12 AM
brillo pads and 3m adhesive and wax remover for the residue

nautiboi73
07-22-2007, 01:44 PM
steam is best. will get glue and film off when done right.

windex with ammonia is good
diluted ammonia is also good

ammonia is going to make glue soft and easier to scrap off.
this is why ammonia is not good for tinted glass. it weakens the bond of tint to glass.

thecoolcutter
07-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Razor Blade + Paint Thinner worked for me. :goodjob:

Papa_Smurf
07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
i used heat, and then i used a wet towel and it cut came right off

8bangin302
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
when i took mine off,all i did was peel off a little section of tint with a razor blade,then i peeled off real big pieces of tint,but uve got to pull it slowly.. 1, cause most of the glue will come off with the tint if u pull it slowly & if u pull it off fast the glue will most likely stay on the window,and 2 cause u will peel a lot more tint off by pulling it slowly,because there is 2 layers...and then once uve got it all off i got some windex and sprayedall over the window let it sit for a couple minutes then sprayed it again as i scraped off the access glue with a razor blade.that was my home made way of doing it,it worked for me...GL tho.

Footefan52
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
rubbing alcohol takes the glue off in a breeze

noridetoolow
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
You can also buy kits wit stuff to spray on...it provides instructions to the effect of spay the stuff on the tint, cover with aluminum foil for 10 min or so and then everything including the glue comes off.....I have never tried it the right way.,....pull off the tint and scrape the glue with a razor...the tint remover works good but Windex works just as well and costs MUCH less....you will have to keep the glue soaked with Windex as you scrape it.....the windex will dry pretty fast as you go...you'll be surprised....if all your doin are the door glass...it wont take you 30 min and that is if you have problems....with tint not that old.....5-10 min per door. GL

Sammich
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
this is what i followed..

http://g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/22.html

worked for me, but in removing the tint from the rear window i was very tedious and it took a while to get it off, but it was worth it in the end..but i will never take off my own tint again.

southside
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I used a kit shit they got at oreillys where its tint adhesive or some shit but it came wit the razor for about 5 bucks the bottle was small tho but it works i peeled the film away from the top of the window then pulled it slowly down so the whole thing would come off wit out having to peel every piece and piece

silversol
07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
my buddy does tint he said the best thing for tint removal is orange cleaner. but if your tint is newer its east to take off in big sections

burke420
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
i used the windex and razor blade!

iEvo
07-24-2007, 09:54 PM
steam

mocha latte cupcake
07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
tape a razor blade to your window, play some AFI, leave your car alone in a dark garage.... it will eventually just cut the tint itself.... VIOLA EMO CAR and a little more light inside :D