PDA

View Full Version : BMW Z4 shifting question!

xbn83
07-21-2007, 07:36 PM
My friend just bought a used 2006 BMW Z4 with 32k. It is a 3.0l semi auto. When I test drove his car, I notice in auto mode, 1st to 2nd to 3rd was kinda slow. It was llike this, from a stop I floored it lil bit, all the sudden the car felt like it stopped response, even tho my foot was still on the gas. It stalled for couple seconds then shift to 2nd. It did something to 3rd and 4th. No jerk or anything, just seemed to me it shifted way too slow. I don't have any experience with BMW, so I don't know is the normal for BMW car or not. I used to have a Prelude semi auto and it shifts normal, not like that. Thanks for any input!

Frög
07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
semi auto? lmao..

xbn83
07-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Yea, whatever it is called! Paddle shift, tiptronic, basically it is automatic but it also let you shift manually. Don't laugh at me man!

IDCoconut
07-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Tell him to check his shifter coolant level.

xbn83
07-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks! I think I found the answer. Car and driver says: “This is a dumb-ass transmission, with more slack in its response than the U.S. Postal Service.” So this is not only my friend's, it is all Z4. http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/9150/long-term-test-bmw-z4-30i.html

At the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2. BMW is overrated!

BimmerMan
07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
thats why you just buy a freaking MANUAL not some semi bs.

xbn83
07-21-2007, 09:50 PM
All cars I have are manual. It wasn't me who bought the car. It was my friend. If it was me, I would have bought a manual one.

SixSquared
07-21-2007, 10:17 PM
tell him to granny shift instead of double clutching... it helps the nawwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzzz hit harder and then you can beat Toretto

AnTi-PooN
07-22-2007, 08:14 AM
tell him to granny shift instead of double clutching... it helps the nawwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzzz hit harder and then you can beat Toretto

lol... no clutch on that car noob:idb:

BobbyFresco
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Your friend must have an SMG.......which in theory should perform better than a manual, given the fact that there is no clutch to mess with...and please dont insult BMW's....I actually own a 05 Bmw Z4 manual and I love the way the car performs and handles.

Tinton
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Its just basically a slush-box with some fancy paddle-shifters. You can shift the same way in most other autos...just move the shifter lever, heh. They both give about the same level of control over the car, it still shifts slow as hell, won't let you overrev at all, etc. I don't think that's a SMG transmission... if it is those are decent, I think they still have clutches.

StraightSix
07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
TMK, the only BMW that came with the SMG was the E46 M3, and maybe the M-coupe/roadster (but I don't think so).

Most of the manu-matics that BMW puts in thier cars are called, I think, Steptronic or something catchy like that. Now, I don't really know about the new cars with the manu-matics, but the ones that came in the E46, and other concurrent models, bascially have a "secondary" shift gate that shifts the transmission into manual mode, from there one may up shift/down shift with the gear selector on the center console.

Frög
07-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks! I think I found the answer. Car and driver says: “This is a dumb-ass transmission, with more slack in its response than the U.S. Postal Service.” So this is not only my friend's, it is all Z4. http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/9150/long-term-test-bmw-z4-30i.html

At the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2. BMW is overrated!

BMW is not overrated.. they should even have sport shift on autos.. get a manual..

Frög
07-23-2007, 12:39 AM
TMK, the only BMW that came with the SMG was the E46 M3, and maybe the M-coupe/roadster (but I don't think so).

Most of the manu-matics that BMW puts in thier cars are called, I think, Steptronic or something catchy like that. Now, I don't really know about the new cars with the manu-matics, but the ones that came in the E46, and other concurrent models, bascially have a "secondary" shift gate that shifts the transmission into manual mode, from there one may up shift/down shift with the gear selector on the center console.

nope.. the 545 came with it and other models too i think..

sirkus
07-23-2007, 01:48 AM
well he's got enough nawwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzzz in there to blow his self up.

:lmfao:

IndianStig
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
he got an SMG, OWNED

xbn83
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Your friend must have an SMG.......which in theory should perform better than a manual, given the fact that there is no clutch to mess with...and please dont insult BMW's....I actually own a 05 Bmw Z4 manual and I love the way the car performs and handles.

It should perform better than a manual but it is not. In fact it performs worse than a regular automatic. He should have bought the manual one. I know the manual one is much better.

SixSquared
07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
So did he get a tuna fish sandwich?

osnap
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
So did he get a tuna fish sandwich?

no one comes here for the tuna, asshole.

xbn83
07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't find your jokes are any funny. Don't you think F&F jokes are so out of date??? WTF find those funny anymore?

SixSquared
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I find them quite funny actually. You have your info about your friend's car.. we're just having fun, because, newsflash, we like having fun. If I had a dollar for every lame F&F joke I heard, I'd be rich. If I spent a dollar for every one I told, I'd be poor(er). It happens.. we joke around, we have a good time, we get car stuff done. The main reason we clown on F&F is because so many of us hate that fucking movie. It's just fun.

Now remove the tampon from your ass and go to FedEx... I just got some parts overnighted from Japan.