PDA

View Full Version : Misc Martial Arts (All Types Welcome)

Mr.MuayThai
07-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah so I just decided to start this thread to see what type of Martial Arts people are into on IA. I'll start.
I have experience with Karate, Muay Thai, Judo and Boxing. I fought Karate for 6 years, and Muay Thai for 4 years, I boxed while i was learning Muay thai, I have just started Judo and loving it! I've traveled a good bit to fight places, and I have won multiple championships! I won the 2004 Olympic Karate Championship along with many other titles, mostly full contact!
Im off to thailand in September for the WMTC(world muay thai championships) and there i will get owned but it's all good! it's the experience that matters!
I have a lot of local and national championship fights under my belt, so far Im undefeated, I will lose one day, we all do! There is always someone out there that can beat you! I just want to meet him, so i can learn from the experience! :cheers:

Double_0_Rusty
07-21-2007, 04:24 PM
i made it to red belt in Tae Kwon Doe. I was diggin it, but i quit going. I was 13 go figure.

Mr.MuayThai
07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Well there in lies your problem.. .. .. You did TKD, Im only kidding with ya! have you considered getting back into the whole fighting thing?

Double_0_Rusty
07-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Well there in lies your problem.. .. .. You did TKD, Im only kidding with ya! have you considered getting back into the whole fighting thing?

lol yeah I thought about it. back in high school I wrestled and freestyle wrestled, and played football. Now i am just lazy as heck. I mean I have had my share of fights and I still know TKD or what parts i did learn. I have had to use it before. Street Fights FTW

Maniaç
07-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Not gonna lie. only aweek's training on TKD, Wrestling, Just barly starting Muay Thai.

I really wanna get deep into Muat thai... thats my kind of style.

93H22ACX
07-21-2007, 06:14 PM
i did 2 years of kick boxing, 3 years of wing tsun, and a months of Latosa Escrima ... that was ummmm 8 years ago lol...

i would like to get back into kick boxing, its an awesome workout every time.

Maniaç
07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Reps all around.

wantboost
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
i did tkd tournaments when i was 7-13 (sparring not the forms bs), normally finished in the finals (not saying much lol). i started bjj about a 1 1/2 years ago but the past couple months i have been to busy to train with the frequency i would like.

Mr.MuayThai
07-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah i hear ya! I haven't been able to train in two weeks! I just about cut my freaking finger off the other week! The timing belt pulley on my d16z6 cut the piss out of me! don't ask how, but it did! straight to the bone!

ridgeline_06
07-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I satred doing Knuckleup and also have hired my own personal trainer who IS a fighter in the UFC.Im gonna try it out and see if I like it. I hope I do.

Brut
07-22-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm a black belt in judo. It's been a year since I've done anything with it, use to go to Leeward Judo back home in hawaii I've done it since I was 11. But when I came here there was no place offering Judo except the boys and girls club but then they stopped offering it. Mr.MuayThai where do you take Judo at? I would really love to get back into it!

osiriskidd
07-22-2007, 01:44 AM
tkd, muay thai, kung fu, bits and pieces of judo, aikedo bjj karate tai chi.

SniperJoe
07-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I did TKD when I was younger for about 8 months, but had to move. I started participating in Kendo a few years ago, now I am just trying to find a gym up here to train at.

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm a black belt in judo. It's been a year since I've done anything with it, use to go to Leeward Judo back home in hawaii I've done it since I was 11. But when I came here there was no place offering Judo except the boys and girls club but then they stopped offering it. Mr.MuayThai where do you take Judo at? I would really love to get back into it!

There isn't many places around here that offer that. But there is one place that offers it! I forgot the name, its off of hwy78 somewhere? Im learning it right now. I'm Ikkyu (First class kyu) which is the brown belt. I have another 6 months to train and i can test for my Shodan (first degree dan) thats the first black belt rank. Which rank are you?

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
tkd, muay thai, kung fu, bits and pieces of judo, aikedo bjj karate tai chi.

Wow, thats a lot of stuff to know at 17 years old. . . have you been training since the whom? jeez. . . where did you learn Kung fu, aikedo, and Tai chi around here? I haven't known of a place offering any of that? Oh and where did you learn Muay thai? wandering if we could have met before? I knew a younger kid that knew a lot weird shit. . .Could be you?

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I satred doing Knuckleup and also have hired my own personal trainer who IS a fighter in the UFC.Im gonna try it out and see if I like it. I hope I do.

Damn good luck on that! What are you learning? Knuckle up offers BJJ, Muay Thai, and boxing i think? I was sponsored by one in Kennesaw through Lasco fighting. That's where i aquired my records and shit! but let me know how things are going bro!

Brut
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
There isn't many places around here that offer that. But there is one place that offers it! I forgot the name, its off of hwy78 somewhere? Im learning it right now. I'm Ikkyu (First class kyu) which is the brown belt. I have another 6 months to train and i can test for my Shodan (first degree dan) thats the first black belt rank. Which rank are you?

I am a third degree black belt (sandan). I need to find out the name of that place off of hwy78 my dad was right over in that area to about an hour ago. I'm gonna drive around over there and check it out.

cactusEG
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
i use to Box all through high school

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I am a third degree black belt (sandan). I need to find out the name of that place off of hwy78 my dad was right over in that area to about an hour ago. I'm gonna drive around over there and check it out.

Im not sure of the name, but im sure you can google it? good luck. And let me know how much classes are! thanks!

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
i use to Box all through high school

I used to box as well. . . i didn't even think of putting that on there! Thanks! :goodjob:
+1 for you!

cactusEG
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I used to box as well. . . i didn't even think of putting that on there! Thanks! :goodjob:
+1 for you!

i still have 2sets of gloves and bag and speed bag. but i really dont have time any more with school and work. but in hoping to get back in to it like i use to :yes:

IntegraXTR
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM

is knuckle up any good? I was thinkin about signing up, but wanna see what they teach and if its worth it. $25 a month right?

SL33P3R
07-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I train BJJ at Knuckleup, I plan on working on my stand up more and hopefully have my first fight in 6-8 months(thats what my BJJ coach wants me to do)

is knuckle up any good? I was thinkin about signing up, but wanna see what they teach and if its worth it. $25 a month right?

Um no. Depending on what package you get, its anywhere from like $50-$70. No one said it was cheap, but your getting some kickass teaching from some kickass teachers

Mr.MuayThai
07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=SL33P3R]I train BJJ at Knuckleup, I plan on working on my stand up more and hopefully have my first fight in 6-8 months(thats what my BJJ coach wants me to do)

Yeah i thinking about heading up there later on and seeing what the BJJ is all about. I have been working on some Judo lately, I've seen a few BJJ things that where cool, and i will consider heading over there. But what packages do they offer? I was just think BJJ. what will that run me?

TwoPointOhh
07-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah so I just decided to start this thread to see what type of Martial Arts people are into on IA. I'll start.
I have experience with Karate, Muay Thai, Judo and Boxing. I fought Karate for 6 years, and Muay Thai for 4 years, I boxed while i was learning Muay thai, I have just started Judo and loving it! I've traveled a good bit to fight places, and I have won multiple championships! I won the 2004 Olympic Karate Championship along with many other titles, mostly full contact!
Im off to thailand in September for the WMTC(world muay thai championships) and there i will get owned but it's all good! it's the experience that matters!
I have a lot of local and national championship fights under my belt, so far Im undefeated, I will lose one day, we all do! There is always someone out there that can beat you! I just want to meet him, so i can learn from the experience! :cheers:

Good luck in September...

As for me, wrestled in highschool for 3 years. Loved every year of it.

Z32redondo
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmm never really got into TKD or anything but wrestle varsity now at my HS. Wish to go UFC maybe one day or atleast some sort of competitive fighting. Had my share of street fights as well as wrestling matches and I didnt doo to bad.

auxiliary
07-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I have done taekwondo since I was 4. I am 23 now....

I've been running a taekwondo school for the past 5 years. I'm not into the *fighting*. I am much more of a teacher/business-owner now, lol.

I enjoy watching people fight but I am to much of a critic....I guess that's the instructor side of me coming out.

Good to see a lot of people in here....kind of sucks a lot of people are "bad ass MMA/UFC fighters" now...I really enjoy the art that martial 'arts' teaches.

BlkCD5
07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Anybody hear of or done Krav Maga?

auxiliary
07-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Anybody hear of or done Krav Maga?

I have experienced it before.

I might be headed out to the west coast in a couple of months to become certified in it. We're still figuring out if it's something we want to do.

have you done it?

WalkS
07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
i've done Okinawan Seidokan Karate for a little while. has anyone done the same?

BlkCD5
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
originally posted by auxiliary
I have experienced it before.

I might be headed out to the west coast in a couple of months to become certified in it. We're still figuring out if it's something we want to do.

have you done it?

yea, its an intense workout imo. I've tried TKD and karate as well.

osiriskidd
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow, thats a lot of stuff to know at 17 years old. . . have you been training since the whom? jeez. . . where did you learn Kung fu, aikedo, and Tai chi around here? I haven't known of a place offering any of that? Oh and where did you learn Muay thai? wandering if we could have met before? I knew a younger kid that knew a lot weird shit. . .Could be you?

i learned mainly TKD from 8-11, then from 13-17 i was in tay son kungfu/kickboxing which had muay thai integrated into it, along with taichi. the teacher knew enough judo and enough aikedo to teach some of the students basics, just so we wont' get caught with our pants down.

same thing with bjj, older brother took enough classes to not get caught in it, reversals and whatnots, retaught.

the school where i learned at wasn't open for very long because of business, so we learned on weekends from the teacher in his house/backyard, then he opened a school in sc, which failed, but hey...roadtrips every week.

Mr.MuayThai
07-24-2007, 06:42 PM
i learned mainly TKD from 8-11, then from 13-17 i was in tay son kungfu/kickboxing which had muay thai integrated into it, along with taichi. the teacher knew enough judo and enough aikedo to teach some of the students basics, just so we wont' get caught with our pants down.

same thing with bjj, older brother took enough classes to not get caught in it, reversals and whatnots, retaught.

the school where i learned at wasn't open for very long because of business, so we learned on weekends from the teacher in his house/backyard, then he opened a school in sc, which failed, but hey...roadtrips every week.

Oh well that cool! Well if you wanna include just knowledge I know shit ton of things!

Brut
07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey Mr.MuayThai is there a name I can call you for short instead of typin all that out?

I found a place that teaches Judo. But its all the way in fuckin Athens which is way to far for me to drive to every other day.
Itto Martial Arts & Fitness
175 A Old Epps Bridge Rd
Athens GA 30606
706-353-7743

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them if they know any places that teach in the Gwinnett area which is where I am at. Theres other places but I talked to some of the instructors and they are either 1st or 2nd degree black belts. I really don't want to take classes from someone thats lower ranked than me.

osiriskidd
07-25-2007, 12:03 AM
its not just knowledge its knowing how the techs work and how to reverse/get out.

i mean if i get into a street fight im not gonna roll around on the ground looking for an arm bar...or jump around looking to get a fancy kick in. just an elbow to the face.

if someone takes you down, you can keep a guard and swing around blah blah ect so forth.

we practiced the techs and whatnot, we just dont' go deeply into the art. we stayed true kungfu/kickboxing.

but like you i prefer muay thai. and yea tony jaa gives me stiffys.

Mr.MuayThai
07-25-2007, 12:18 PM
its not just knowledge its knowing how the techs work and how to reverse/get out.

i mean if i get into a street fight im not gonna roll around on the ground looking for an arm bar...or jump around looking to get a fancy kick in. just an elbow to the face.

if someone takes you down, you can keep a guard and swing around blah blah ect so forth.

we practiced the techs and whatnot, we just dont' go deeply into the art. we stayed true kungfu/kickboxing.

Yeah dude, tony jaa is the shit! I love his movies! Well of course it's not just knowledge, I know the techniques and how to make things practical! I guess you can call everything you know Mixed Martial Arts. . . I hate to say that, but it is truly mixed. :D

Mr.MuayThai
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Mr.MuayThai is there a name I can call you for short instead of typin all that out?

I found a place that teaches Judo. But its all the way in fuckin Athens which is way to far for me to drive to every other day.
Itto Martial Arts & Fitness
175 A Old Epps Bridge Rd
Athens GA 30606
706-353-7743

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them if they know any places that teach in the Gwinnett area which is where I am at. Theres other places but I talked to some of the instructors and they are either 1st or 2nd degree black belts. I really don't want to take classes from someone thats lower ranked than me.

Just call me MT, or MMT? You know like QD, or would you like to know my name?

Hundo®
07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Muay Thai for 8 years and BJJ i've just recently started.. i've done Tae Kwon do as a child but that was total trash. I've won multiple IKF championships including the South Eastern Regionals in 2002.. that was my last big tournament i attended before i stopped competing.. i dont have the time to compete anymore with work and all.. but i do love to fight!

Hundo®
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=SL33P3R]I train BJJ at Knuckleup, I plan on working on my stand up more and hopefully have my first fight in 6-8 months(thats what my BJJ coach wants me to do)

Yeah i thinking about heading up there later on and seeing what the BJJ is all about. I have been working on some Judo lately, I've seen a few BJJ things that where cool, and i will consider heading over there. But what packages do they offer? I was just think BJJ. what will that run me?

for BJJ there is no better gym than Alliance.. they've put out multiple abu dhabi competitors for the US.. which is the most prestigious tournament.. Alliance gyms are amazing.

Hundo®
07-25-2007, 02:50 PM

if you like jony jaa you will want to learn Muay Boran.. not Muay Thai.

Mr.MuayThai
07-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Just because i like tony jaa doesn't mean I want to learn Muay Boran, it just means he is a bad ass! I have some experience with Muay Boran, Muay thai is just a glorified version but legal in the ring. not all muay boran moves are! :goodjob:

Hundo®
07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Just because i like tony jaa doesn't mean I want to learn Muay Boran, it just means he is a bad ass! I have some experience with Muay Boran, Muay thai is just a glorified version but legal in the ring. not all muay boran moves are! :goodjob:

i know, i meant the other guy that knows every other martial art on the planet at age 17.

osiriskidd
07-25-2007, 11:12 PM

i like tony jaa cause of his moves. if i can find a school for muay boran i'd go, but my old teacher taught a bunch of moves that had muay boran tied in.

Mr.MuayThai
07-26-2007, 12:42 AM
i know, i meant the other guy that knows every other martial art on the planet at age 17.

Yeah i noticed. . . :ninja: But who knows? Im not doubting the kid, He hasn't mastered a specific style, he just knows bits and pieces of the styles. . . It works, I guess? But best of luck to him and his adventures. :goodjob:

osiriskidd
07-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah i noticed. . . :ninja: But who knows? Im not doubting the kid, He hasn't mastered a specific style, he just knows bits and pieces of the styles. . . It works, I guess? But best of luck to him and his adventures. :goodjob:

kungfu/muaythai is all i need. knowing how to get outta stuff and keep off the ground and not getting thrown is good enough for me. there's nothing to master, when you fight outside the ring there's no real style anyways.

Mr.MuayThai
07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
kungfu/muaythai is all i need. knowing how to get outta stuff and keep off the ground and not getting thrown is good enough for me. there's nothing to master, when you fight outside the ring there's no real style anyways.

Oh no, your right! There isn't a style at all! People just fucking flail like fish, and hope to knock each other out.. .. .. It sickening really! But when i say technique i mean it, Without it the moves you learn will not be near as effective as far as accuracy, power, and speed goes! You would just look stupid doing it!
that why i think you should focus on learning the proper technique for each move, A lot of practice should suffice! But keep up all the hard work and maybe, just maybe we will meet in the ring? :goodjob:

osiriskidd
07-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Oh no, your right! There isn't a style at all! People just fucking flail like fish, and hope to knock each other out.. .. .. It sickening really! But when i say technique i mean it, Without it the moves you learn will not be near as effective as far as accuracy, power, and speed goes! You would just look stupid doing it!
that why i think you should focus on learning the proper technique for each move, A lot of practice should suffice! But keep up all the hard work and maybe, just maybe we will meet in the ring? :goodjob:

i could tell you you'd beat me. i dont have much experience in the ring. was too young and too small to do anything besides the occasional sparring with the bro's. plus i can't take a hit xD.

Mr.MuayThai
07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
i could tell you you'd beat me. i dont have much experience in the ring. was too young and too small to do anything besides the occasional sparring with the bro's. plus i can't take a hit xD.

Well in the ring you can look as graceful as you want and preform all the right techniques, but if you can't take a hit then i would step in the ring. . . It would make you look pathetic. . . Im not bashing you or anything, but I've been in the ring with people that can't take hits! Im talking like round 1 knockouts! two in less than a minute! They look stupid being knocked out so damn fast! I've fought against some TKD guys that were really good with there "pretty kicks" but they couldn't take a hit for shit! so it was a easy match once you get inside of them!
This is what i always did to get used to blocking and taking hits, spar with someone and let them beat the shit out of you! don't hit them back, just block! You wont be able to stop all of them! Thats how you learn to take a hit, and as far as body shots go, thats just training! Lots of training! Give it a shot! trust me on this, it works! If you don't trust me on anything else, please trust me when it comes to fighting! :goodjob:

osiriskidd
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Well in the ring you can look as graceful as you want and preform all the right techniques, but if you can't take a hit then i would step in the ring. . . It would make you look pathetic. . . Im not bashing you or anything, but I've been in the ring with people that can't take hits! Im talking like round 1 knockouts! two in less than a minute! They look stupid being knocked out so damn fast! I've fought against some TKD guys that were really good with there "pretty kicks" but they couldn't take a hit for shit! so it was a easy match once you get inside of them!
This is what i always did to get used to blocking and taking hits, spar with someone and let them beat the shit out of you! don't hit them back, just block! You wont be able to stop all of them! Thats how you learn to take a hit, and as far as body shots go, thats just training! Lots of training! Give it a shot! trust me on this, it works! If you don't trust me on anything else, please trust me when it comes to fighting! :goodjob:

tkd was my least favorite because of their "point sparring" system. it was retarded cause you never had a chance to counter anything. maybe im just saying i can't take a hit cause i usually spar with my older bigger bro's and they hit hard. body shots im fine, but like i said. you have more experience. in the ring then i do.

Mr.MuayThai
07-31-2007, 01:19 AM
tkd was my least favorite because of their "point sparring" system. it was retarded cause you never had a chance to counter anything. maybe im just saying i can't take a hit cause i usually spar with my older bigger bro's and they hit hard. body shots im fine, but like i said. you have more experience. in the ring then i do.

Im not calling you out or anything. . . Im was just stating that it takes time to train to take hits bro! thats all! Im giving you my :2cents: and if you chose to take them than fine. . . but if not, then thats ok too! Im just giving you some advice. :yes:

osiriskidd
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
i wish i had time to train. i've been out a year now. getting ready for college this fall and then trying to get some steady money. being a waiter sucks cause i don't have a steady schedule. if i could, i'd go to ALLIANCE gym with my buddy and take BJJ with their muay thai.

Mr.MuayThai
07-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Yeah i have been considering Alliance. . . But IDK, It's a little too far for me to drive. And time isn't easy to come by now-a-days! :no:

osiriskidd
07-31-2007, 02:01 AM
its about 10 minutes from me.

Mr.MuayThai
07-31-2007, 02:16 AM
Lucky ass. . . It's about 45 for me! :cry:

MTA_Rep
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
^^^ Hey bro, How have you been? So i finally got on IA. What, You gave me this SN like... 3 months ago? I really don't remember? Oh and are you coming in tonight? I haven't seen you in a couple of weeks. Are you training on a regular basis? Because we are leaving in about a month now buddy! Are you ready?

Mr.MuayThai
08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I've been good, I have just been taking a break trying to get my hatch running. It's not even cool. So what are you changing the SN to? Oh and i noticed you took my Avatar and my old Sig pic. . . douche. . . :2up:

99WS6
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Man I'm really surprised that no one has named any of the top gyms besides Alliance and Knuckle Up. Some other good gyms are Unit 2, Hardknoxs, Hardcore Gym and Paul Creighton MMA.

Most of the real fighters aound come from these camps.

osiriskidd
08-15-2007, 04:30 PM
does anyone know of a guy named "eddie" (sp) my brother told me he was probably the best bjj teacher in atlanta.

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Man I'm really surprised that no one has named any of the top gyms besides Alliance and Knuckle Up. Some other good gyms are Unit 2, Hardknoxs, Hardcore Gym and Paul Creighton MMA.

Most of the real fighters aound come from these camps.

Good man :goodjob: I haven't heard of Hardnox. . . Where is it?

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 01:57 AM

not offense but come to alliance gym and id like to see you try to stay off the ground when you go up against one of our more experienced fighters.

You'll be on your ass with your legs spread faster than a blonde on a roofie.

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 02:00 AM

HAHA i remember fighting TDK guys... just work their legs when they try to do a spinning back kick.. or even a side kick.. they whip their leg and don't follow through, their kicks sting more than hurt.. i usually ended those matches within the first round.

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 02:04 AM
does anyone know of a guy named "eddie" (sp) my brother told me he was probably the best bjj teacher in atlanta.

Best BJJ school in this country is Alliance and the best teacher is jacare. Period.

Alliance has put out more champions for NAGA and national events than any other gym in the country.

and just represented Abu Dahbi with a guy named Chris Moriarty that trains at the Alliance Sandy Springs Location.

you cannot learn better BJJ anywhere else in this country.

Jacare received his black belt directly from Rolls Gracie the founder of the whole gracie BJJ tradition and in many respects was his only equal or challenge on the mat.

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 02:06 AM
HAHA i remember fighting TDK guys... just work their legs when they try to do a spinning back kick.. or even a side kick.. they whip their leg and don't follow through, their kicks sting more than hurt.. i usually ended those matches within the first round.

Yeah how true! I've been know to throw a few pretty kicks in my time. :D I love the spinning hook kick! One of the most painful strikes you will ever feel if it makes contact! That heel hurts. I don't do it all the time, I do it pretty damn fast too, It's hard to see coming. A lot of times i will throw a few on purpose and not hit the other guy, and once they get used to ducking it, I throw one low to the sternum! LOL! It works most of the time. Of course i have been tackled while in the middle of it. I only use that strat in full contact standing rules. But i love the side kick one of the most effective kicks if landed correctly! :D true fact. :goodjob:

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 02:09 AM
Best BJJ school in this country is Alliance and the best teacher is jacare. Period.

Alliance has put out more champions for NAGA and national events than any other gym in the country.

and just represented Abu Dahbi with a guy named Chris Moriarty that trains at the Alliance Sandy Springs Location.

you cannot learn better BJJ anywhere else in this country.

Jacare received his black belt directly from Rolls Gracie the founder of the whole gracie BJJ tradition and in many respects was his only equal or challenge on the mat.

How much are classes for Alliance? I've been really eager to go there but knuckle up is a lot close. I really don't want to go back to knuckle up. . . :cry:

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Yeah how true! I've been know to throw a few pretty kicks in my time. :D I love the spinning hook kick! One of the most painful strikes you will ever feel if it makes contact! That heel hurts. I don't do it all the time, I do it pretty damn fast too, It's hard to see coming. A lot of times i will throw a few on purpose and not hit the other guy, and once they get used to ducking it, I throw one low to the sternum! LOL! It works most of the time. Of course i have been tackled while in the middle of it. I only use that strat in full contact standing rules. But i love the side kick one of the most effective kicks if landed correctly! :D true fact. :goodjob:

hahahaha, i've had soo many TDK guys trying to spinning hook kick me, i just take their foot out from under than or kick them in the back of the knee or my personal favorite, move forward and take the shot with their calf going into your rib which is pleasent if anything, and then grab their leg with your arm and start working their leg until it gives out on them and they hop around like a hurt puppy.

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 02:17 AM
How much are classes for Alliance? I've been really eager to go there but knuckle up is a lot close. I really don't want to go back to knuckle up. . . :cry:

$120 a month for just BJJ.. 150 i believe for the dual package bjj and muay thai.

you can go 6 days a week twice a day if you're that dedicated and your body can handle it.. which it probably can't, LOL.

If you take BJJ we also offer a MMA class for anyone interested in it for FREE as long as you're part of the BJJ.

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 02:21 AM
hahahaha, i've had soo many TDK guys trying to spinning hook kick me, i just take their foot out from under than or kick them in the back of the knee or my personal favorite, move forward and take the shot with their calf going into your rib which is pleasent if anything, and then grab their leg with your arm and start working their leg until it gives out on them and they hop around like a hurt puppy.

Yeah but Im not TKD. :goodjob:

Let me rephrase that. My favorite kick would be the pulling spinning hook kick. That thing works some magic if landed! But like i said, If landed. Of course that isn't going to be the first thing i open with. But a lot of these guys now a days aren't trained to stop high kicks. They just sit there and stare at it like its some pretty light!
If you are really good and accurate with your kicks then you can dominate a match if you are really aggressive with them! I've knocked out countless people by being on the attacking side with kicks! They are magical weapons when used correctly. :goodjob:

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 02:27 AM
$120 a month for just BJJ.. 150 i believe for the dual package bjj and muay thai.

you can go 6 days a week twice a day if you're that dedicated and your body can handle it.. which it probably can't, LOL.

If you take BJJ we also offer a MMA class for anyone interested in it for FREE as long as you're part of the BJJ.

Thanks, but you can be pretty damn cocky. . . I wander why? And what makes you think I wouldn't be able to handle it? I've been training for a long time now and I always set aside time to do hard body training! And extreme cardio workouts as well. Im probably in better shape than you anyways. But 120 is a bit steep for BJJ. Even if he is one of the best in the world. You learn most of the same shit from any other instructor, Its the person learning the techniques is what really matters. Not saying he is useless. But a little too much for me. :yes:

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Yeah but Im not TKD. :goodjob:

Let me rephrase that. My favorite kick would be the pulling spinning hook kick. That thing works some magic if landed! But like i said, If landed. Of course that isn't going to be the first thing i open with. But a lot of these guys now a days aren't trained to stop high kicks. They just sit there and stare at it like its some pretty light!
If you are really good and accurate with your kicks then you can dominate a match if you are really aggressive with them! I've knocked out countless people by being on the attacking side with kicks! They are magical weapons when used correctly. :goodjob:

but of course :]

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 02:36 AM
but of course :]

So what do you train in? Muay Thai or BJJ? Both?

99WS6
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Good man :goodjob: I haven't heard of Hardnox. . . Where is it?

It's on the Southside of town in Mcdonough off of Highway 42. I currentlly train BJJ and MMA there. We have 2 guys fighting this Saturday down by the Florida line.

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
So what do you train in? Muay Thai or BJJ? Both?

Muay thai for 7 years and BJJ just recently started..

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
^^^ kool.

99WS6
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I hope I don't come off to cocky but to all the people who discredit the gound game you really need to rethink your game plan. I mean do you know that over 70% of fights end up on the ground. How many one kick, pressure point, punches do you really see. If you watch any kind of real fighting Pride, UFC, WEC etc... you will see just how important the ground game is. If you have a bad ground game you better have one hell of a sprawl (like Chuck Lidell) if not YOU WILL eventually go down and then you're screwed. There is no better example of this then in the early 90's when Royce Gracie dominated everyone for years because they were so confident in their striking ability or whatever style that they used they refused to learn any BJJ and got whooped. I think to be a great fighter you need to know BJJ and a mix of kickboxing/Muay Thai, boxing and wrestiling. All that other stuff is just a bunch of junk to me and it's provin to be ineffective in the cage.

Hundo®
08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I hope I don't come off to cocky but to all the people who discredit the gound game you really need to rethink your game plan. I mean do you know that over 70% of fights end up on the ground. How many one kick, pressure point, punches do you really see. If you watch any kind of real fighting Pride, UFC, WEC etc... you will see just how important the ground game is. If you have a bad ground game you better have one hell of a sprawl (like Chuck Lidell) if not YOU WILL eventually go down and then you're screwed. There is no better example of this then in the early 90's when Royce Gracie dominated everyone for years because they were so confident in their striking ability or whatever style that they used they refused to learn any BJJ and got whooped. I think to be a great fighter you need to know BJJ and a mix of kickboxing/Muay Thai, boxing and wrestiling. All that other stuff is just a bunch of junk to me and it's provin to be ineffective in the cage.

i didnt read your entire post but i think i got the jist of it...

in a real fight and or UFC/PRIDE if you dont know ground game you're going to get ruined.

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Who said i was against it? If you are talking to me? Im currently learning Judo. My old Karate Instructor knows it well. Im not bashing the whole ground game, I love ground fighting, I just Prefer stand up. Thats all. But like i said, Im learning some ground, with Judo and soon BJJ. :D

99WS6
08-17-2007, 09:03 AM
I like Judo for the throws but other than that I really don't care that much for it. The Judo guys that normally come into our gym get beat. I mean they will have pretty kicks which I will gladly let them throw so that I can get the take down and tap them. I do like the throws though and have been thrown by them but after that we hit the ground and that's my world.

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
The ground is your world? Thats kinda sad. . . I think everyone should do a little stand up. And Judo just isn't throwing, Obviously you don't know much about judo. There is a ton of ground submissions: ex. arm bars, leg locks, head locks, wrist locks, and ankle locks. Those are just a few of some really basic locks.
But i do have to say that if you are 100% ground you aren't going to do so good. . . what if you come across a guy that is really good with his stand up? You will lose, Stand up game is more effective than wrestling on the ground. If he is a smart stand up fighter he will throw lots of quick jabs and low kicks, until you go for the shot and take an elbow to the back of the head or a simple knee to the face or sternum? I mean there are tons of ways to prevent being taken to the ground. I know a good bit of them. :D

Repost Squintz
08-17-2007, 01:11 PM
i so really want to get back into it. im having a hard time deciding on what style that i want to get back into though. I've done TKD; and that is what i know most of. But, it has been a minute (like an extra long minute) that i have done any sort of fighting. heh, when i used to spar; i would use my hands alot instead of my feet. lolz it was funny. only used the feet after a 2 or 3 combo.

i think im gonna try and do muy thai. that looks more fun than just throwing kicks around.

SL33P3R
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
The ground is your world? Thats kinda sad. . . I think everyone should do a little stand up. And Judo just isn't throwing, Obviously you don't know much about judo. There is a ton of ground submissions: ex. arm bars, leg locks, head locks, wrist locks, and ankle locks. Those are just a few of some really basic locks.
But i do have to say that if you are 100% ground you aren't going to do so good. . . what if you come across a guy that is really good with his stand up? You will lose, Stand up game is more effective than wrestling on the ground. If he is a smart stand up fighter he will throw lots of quick jabs and low kicks, until you go for the shot and take an elbow to the back of the head or a simple knee to the face or sternum? I mean there are tons of ways to prevent being taken to the ground. I know a good bit of them. :D

Thats when the guy who knows jiu jitsu sits on his ass and says "Come on":D

99WS6
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but everyone is going to prefer their style. However it is real easy for boxers, kickboxers etc... to talk about not getting taken down when they don't have to worry about it. On the other hand in all forms of real NHB fighting (Pride,UFC,WEC) how often do you really see a fight not go to the ground? I mean sometimes people luck up and hit someone on the botton but how often.

As for me my main thing is BJJ however I train stand up as well. We have Golden Glove boxers at my gym as well as I train my stand up with Kevin Brooks who has held belts in boxing, muay thai, shedokan etc... One of the best fighters in the southeast. Not trying to say that I'm the badest ass around as I'm not but I'm trying. Come and visit my gym sometime. I think that you will find it's alot harder not to be taken down then you think. (I'm not being a jerk here. We love to cross train with people from other back grounds):cheers:

Hundo®
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but everyone is going to prefer their style. However it is real easy for boxers, kickboxers etc... to talk about not getting taken down when they don't have to worry about it. On the other hand in all forms of real NHB fighting (Pride,UFC,WEC) how often do you really see a fight not go to the ground? I mean sometimes people luck up and hit someone on the botton but how often.

As for me my main thing is BJJ however I train stand up as well. We have Golden Glove boxers at my gym as well as I train my stand up with Kevin Brooks who has held belts in boxing, muay thai, shedokan etc... One of the best fighters in the southeast. Not trying to say that I'm the badest ass around as I'm not but I'm trying. Come and visit my gym sometime. I think that you will find it's alot harder not to be taken down then you think. (I'm not being a jerk here. We love to cross train with people from other back grounds):cheers:

what gym where?

and yes, preventing a takedown is HARD.

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Keep in mind. Im learning Judo. It's as much about preventing a takedown as it is performing one! Im not saying you aren't going to get me down, Im saying Im going to do damage to you before i go down. Then the karate back ground comes in as well as the judo. There are tons of submissions judo teaches. Im not saying BJJ is useless, not once have i said that.
I plan on training BJJ once i get some Judo under my belt! Im just taking planned steps towards my fighting career. I haven't been training on the ground lately because I have a really important Muay Thai tournament coming up and i have to leave the country. But when i get back I will jump back into Judo, and soon BJJ. Im thinking of the knuckle up in D-ville it's really close to my house and not expensive at all!

MTA_Rep
08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Keep in mind. Im learning Judo. It's as much about preventing a takedown as it is performing one! Im not saying you aren't going to get me down, Im saying Im going to do damage to you before i go down. Then the karate back ground comes in as well as the judo. There are tons of submissions judo teaches. Im not saying BJJ is useless, not once have i said that.
I plan on training BJJ once i get some Judo under my belt! Im just taking planned steps towards my fighting career. I haven't been training on the ground lately because I have a really important Muay Thai tournament coming up and i have to leave the country. But when i get back I will jump back into Judo, and soon BJJ. Im thinking of the knuckle up in D-ville it's really close to my house and not expensive at all!

Yes sir, you do have to be training a lot! I hope you aren't slacking! That would be bad. Are you good to make it on the 9th the flight leaves at 6am and remember they are 23 hours a head of us. Are you still bringing Ashley? We have a guy coming in soon that is a Aki Ju-Jitsu master. Not this BJJ stuff. Don't get my wrong, BJJ is ok but Aki Ju-Jitsu is much better! It's one of the most brutal forms out there.

Hundo®
08-17-2007, 03:55 PM

We have tons of guys who trained JUDO come into the Alliance gym and they usually get roasted, real fast. For example a guy who had trained for 4 years in judo came into the gym and i had only been there training for a month, i took him ou t NO problem with strictly bjj moves.. he was worthless trying to take me down, and he had preschool submission moves. Maybe thats all judo or maybe it's just the way we train at Alliance, but i see Judo as a big joke.

Hundo®
08-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes sir, you do have to be training a lot! I hope you aren't slacking! That would be bad. Are you good to make it on the 9th the flight leaves at 6am and remember they are 23 hours a head of us. Are you still bringing Ashley? We have a guy coming in soon that is a Aki Ju-Jitsu master. Not this BJJ stuff. Don't get my wrong, BJJ is ok but Aki Ju-Jitsu is much better! It's one of the most brutal forms out there.

wrong, bjj is the most effective ground martial art period. it's been proven over and over.

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
We have tons of guys who trained JUDO come into the Alliance gym and they usually get roasted, real fast. For example a guy who had trained for 4 years in judo came into the gym and i had only been there training for a month, i took him ou t NO problem with strictly bjj moves.. he was worthless trying to take me down, and he had preschool submission moves. Maybe thats all judo or maybe it's just the way we train at Alliance, but i see Judo as a big joke.

Well you can't judge an entire style on one or two people. As a fighter you should know that. It's the person more than the fighting style! They both play a factor but i also know that it's not a useless martial arts by any stretch! I will soon be learning Aki Ju-jitsu according to my Sponsor! Check it out. It's bad ass. I might drop Judo for it! What do you think?

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 04:04 PM
wrong, bjj is the most effective ground martial art period. it's been proven over and over.

BJJ is a effective style for a sanctioned fight. But Aki Ju-Jitsu is one of the ones you can't use in a sanctioned fight. It more for real time self defense! Not sanctioned fighting!

99WS6
08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Honestly with you having a good striking back ground in Muay Thai I wouldn't wasit my time with Judo and go strait to BJJ which is a better moddified form of Aki -jitsu. Every school is different but we work on our takedowns alot.

To the guy asking about my gym it's
Hardknox
225 Technology Pkwy
McDonough GA 30253

Hundo®
08-17-2007, 04:16 PM
BJJ is a effective style for a sanctioned fight. But Aki Ju-Jitsu is one of the ones you can't use in a sanctioned fight. It more for real time self defense! Not sanctioned fighting!

im aware, which is why you shouldn't learn it as a sanctioned fighter, then you have to break bad habbits.

to reply to your previous post i didnt judge this off 1 or 2 people, i judged it off about 20 or more, i've happened to roll with only a few, but even the judo masters have no shot against a mid level BJJ fighter.

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 08:29 PM
im aware, which is why you shouldn't learn it as a sanctioned fighter, then you have to break bad habbits.

to reply to your previous post i didnt judge this off 1 or 2 people, i judged it off about 20 or more, i've happened to roll with only a few, but even the judo masters have no shot against a mid level BJJ fighter.

Your right that BJJ Is better on the ground because Judo just isn't a ground type style. True Judo is meditating, Some ground game, controlling pain, and some stand up. Most of the time when they train they train on preparing to take pain with out a flinch.
Right now my Karate instructor is teaching me to not feel pain at all. He has this theory that is so far correct. I will let you guys know what it is.

Friggintitsman
08-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Been taking Muay Thai and kickboxing for a while. I was into BJJ, but there are too many TUF'ers at my gym pissing me off. So I train that when I can. I am also part of the Atlanta Kali Group which is my favorite of the arts. The people I hang out with know several various arts. I learn specific techniques from each and incorporate them into my own. I don't have any belts nor do I have the desire to get them. Nor do I have the desire to fight pro. I train for fun and exercise.

Mr.MuayThai
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
^^^ Cool bro! I haven't seen that sig in a longtime!

Repost Squintz
08-18-2007, 09:08 AM
anybody know of a site with all the local listings? maybe of jiu jitsu, or muay thai

SL33P3R
08-18-2007, 09:09 AM
go to www.knuckleupmma.com and see if you can find a Knuckleup near you

Repost Squintz
08-18-2007, 09:17 AM
^thanks. lolz, sound like a movie preview....

Friggintitsman
08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
^^^ Cool bro! I haven't seen that sig in a longtime!

I don't know if someone else had it, but if you are referring to me. I haven't been on here much. Most of the people on IA piss me off. I usually hang out on sherdog.net.

go to www.knuckleupmma.com (http://www.knuckleupmma.com/) and see if you can find a Knuckleup near you

I train at sandy springs

osiriskidd
08-18-2007, 12:47 PM
the ongoing fight about bjj and muay thai still lives x]

anyways kayfunk i don't think you understand that im not into sport fighting. i'm talking about if i get around on the streets against a big guy. you gotta remember, im 5'6 125lb...people like to try to pick on me and usually they try to throw me. and those wannabe thugs usually dont know anything. i know where i stand as a ring fighter. i already said i can't take a punch . you're misinterpreting.

as for alliance i really wanna start training their. i think it was like 180 for muay thai n bjj a month, plus i'll have a friend doing bjj already. but college is starting, so poo to money and spare time. you guys talk about fighting, i just wanna get back in shape x]

spooned-out
09-08-2007, 11:45 PM
i train in ninjutsu.

Mr.MuayThai
09-09-2007, 12:43 AM
i train in ninjutsu.

Really... Is that so...

You "ninjas" aren't what we perceive now-a-days. A "ninja" was nothing more than a average thief... Im not kidding. Do your research. the "ninja" we know today was put together by hollywood and thrown out of proportion. But of course between the battle of "ninjas" and pirates i would still pick the ninja. the "ninja" is a lot cooler. :D

Where do you train? And if you don't then where did you train?

There is this place in stockbridge i believe that teaches "ninjutsu" and they clam they trained some of the worlds most deadly fighters... they didn't name any. And they wouldn't let me come and try a class... GAY! So my Muay Thai sponsor called them and asked to set up a fight with one of there 155 pounders. So we did! I killed him! NO JOKE! He was a little bitch that couldn't take a hit or throw one for his life! He was one of there "better" fighters... I can't stand posers!

JDM onlyy
09-09-2007, 12:52 AM
lol yeah I thought about it. back in high school I wrestled and freestyle wrestled, and played football. Now i am just lazy as heck. I mean I have had my share of fights and I still know TKD or what parts i did learn. I have had to use it before. Street Fights FTW

Lol X2!!! haha

babygurl
09-09-2007, 03:55 AM
LOL it has been forever since I have taken any classes, or spared with anyone.

I took a bit of Thai Kwon Do, when I was like 13. I have been wanting to get back into it, but cant seem to find a place I like :(

GuessWho
09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Well if any of you take Jiu Jitsu there are some tournaments coming up real soon...

Mr.MuayThai
09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Not really... Im thinking of learning Ju-Jitsu. :D

SL33P3R
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Not really... Im thinking of learning Ju-Jitsu. :D

Before you go and try to learn, learn how to spell it first ;)

Mr.MuayThai
09-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Before you go and try to learn, learn how to spell it first ;)

yeah your right... Jew-Shit-su right? Or is that just the definition?

Friggintitsman
09-12-2007, 08:02 PM
yeah your right... Jew-Shit-su right? Or is that just the definition?

Remember

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/wesmanavus/Motivational%20Posters/gayjiujitsu1fv.jpg

Mr.MuayThai
09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
They can just keep telling them selves that...

anothaRRR
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Im hoping to start training at Alpha Fighting Systems...There I will do BJJ and Muay Thai

GIXXERDK
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I made it to black belt, even went to the junior Olympics. Quit shortly after. Wish I hadnt.

Mr.MuayThai
09-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Im hoping to start training at Alpha Fighting Systems...There I will do BJJ and Muay Thai

Yeah man Alpha is a bad ass place! I have a few buddies that workout there. Let me know when you start.

anothaRRR
09-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah man Alpha is a bad ass place! I have a few buddies that workout there. Let me know when you start.
Yeah thats what I hear, I think they just got a full size cage in there...I seen Scott(the owner) fight last week....

BLK JDM
09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Where's Alpha at??

anothaRRR
09-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Where's Alpha at??
Its in Hiram, GA...Pass six flags....

Mr.MuayThai
09-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah its like... 20 minutes from me.. Im in D-ville. :D

Friggintitsman
09-19-2007, 06:36 PM
So how many kok blokin ninjaz do we have in out midst?

Ruststang
09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
i made it to black belt in tae kwang do and hopkido but i loved ju jitzu :please forgive spelling:

GuessWho
09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Ha its alright it just means ur not doing it lol... Being doin BJJ no gi for a yr now.... roll at knuckle up in Sandy Springs and love every class... JIU JITSU!!!!

Incomplete057
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
just started kick boxing at knuckle up....havent "worked out" in a couple years...
that shit whoops my ass....definitely a good work out though....

The Ninja
09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, I just started back up training. Got the OK from my DR and Physical therapist. Ankle should hold up well they said, but still to take it slow so right now I'm working mostly on cardio, and a little weight gaining. lol weird mix, but it's coming out well. Its sorta hard, because i don't have a workout buddy out here at ga state, :(

bowdown201
09-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I did alot of BJJ, Boxing, Kickboxing, and a little of Muay Thai for a little while. It was fun as hell and addicting if your into that kinda stuff. Im gonna start back when i get the money to keep training