PDA

View Full Version : to all the guys that want to be cheap

foety_foe
07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
so you want to be a cheap ass and buy that vega 100 dollar helmet instead of that almost 400 dollar shoei helmet. if that was a POS vega helmet, yea i don't think i need to explain. shoei saves lifes :goodjob:

2.0civic
07-19-2007, 12:34 PM
uh how fast? what bike?

foety_foe
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
not my bike and not me. but it was a suzuki TLR 1000. going about 80 hit gravel, wore some gear, but not a full jacket (spine protector) so major road rash to arms and shoulders.

foety_foe
07-19-2007, 04:46 PM
but hey his head is ok and hes still ok

Brett
07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
My ICON helmet was close to $300, Thats one thing I didnt go cheap on.

WickedIXMR
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you captain obvious!

foety_foe
07-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you captain obvious!
you would be surprised of how many guys want to rather save money and buy the vega or any other only DOT approved helmet so they can buy a slip on exhaust for their bike. than they wreck and wonder why their helmet didn't hold up and they have brain damage.

WickedIXMR
07-20-2007, 02:47 AM
you would be surprised of how many guys want to rather save money and buy the vega or any other only DOT approved helmet so they can buy a slip on exhaust for their bike. than they wreck and wonder why their helmet didn't hold up and they have brain damage.
Ok but what does this thread prove? It just shows a fucked up shoei helmet and fucked up fairings. That doesnt really prove shit. If people are stupid enough to go cheap on a helmet and not buy a snell approved helmet to save money, let them learn the hard way. To me this thread is pointless, doesnt show or prove anything.

1000cckiller
07-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok but what does this thread prove? It just shows a fucked up shoei helmet and fucked up fairings. That doesnt really prove shit. If people are stupid enough to go cheap on a helmet and not buy a snell approved helmet to save money, let them learn the hard way. To me this thread is pointless, doesnt show or prove anything.The thread is not stupid, he is giving information to show why not to buy a cheap helmet. His thread could probably help some fool that goes out here and buys a cheap helmet. So let him speak.

99hatch
07-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I too have a shoei helmet, but all helmets are DOT approved.....In a wreck they would all save your life.

DieselNuts
07-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I posted this in another thread a couple days ago...

I used to work at a kawasaki dealership and when someone wanted a nice helmet, this is how it usuall went:

Me: This is a nice full face helmet. It is DOT and SNELL approved.
Squid: How much?
Me: $400
Squid: DAMN! You got anything in the $100-$150 range?
Me: Can I ask you a question?
Squid: Shoot
Me: How much is your face and head worth to you? About $100-$150?
Squid: so....about that $400 helmet....

Its amazing where some people choose to cut corners...

I too have a shoei helmet, but all helmets are DOT approved.....In a wreck they would all save your life.
That is'nt necessarly true. When I worked at the bike shop, there was a guy that came in that was wearing a cheapo $100 helmet when he dropped his ZX9. I dont know how fast he was going, but he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Basicly, he looked like a walking talking scab. His helmet shattered and he had road rash all over his head and face. I put money on it that if he was wearing a suomy or shoei or arai helmet, his face/head would be in mint condition. (granted, the $100 helmet did save his life, he would be in a lot less pain if he didnt skimp out on a nice helmet)

misfiend138
07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
My dad has an HJC CL-14 the previous owner of his Ninja included in the sale of the bike. I think that helmet was worth something like $130 - $150 new. That helmet is DOT and Snell approved. I wear a CS-10 (also HJC) that we got from Machines in Motion for something like $96. It's only DOT approved, but not Snell. I only ride bitch on his bike so we don't do a lot of daring riding so I think my helmet doest he job. I really wouldn't mind something like a Ninja 250 or an old Honda 400 for myself.

Remember kids! No skid lids! Rigid full face ONLY!

DieselNuts
07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
...I think my helmet does the job...

Wrecks aren't always your fault. I hope the helmet does its job if (god forbid) someone pulls out in front of you and you go head first into the windshield.

GIXXERDK
07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
A $100 dollar HJC helmet or a $400 Shoei helmet, it DOESNT matter. It was the big thing last year when an research was done with cheap helmets compared to Arai helmets.

civic95
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
In a wreck they would all save your life.

That's not always true. I've seen someone die wearing a Shoei helmet going only 45MPH when a car turned left in front of him. I have a Shoei myself, and I'm an advocate of buying good gear, but sometimes it doesn't matter what you have on. A helmet will not keep your brain from slamming into the inside of your skull in a major impact. They'll absorb a little energy, but they don't do miracles.

ridgeline_06
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I had a heavy modded yzf750 pushing close to 180 hp and I wrecked it wearing a Fulmer helmet, the fulmer helmet cracked.

Wurm
07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
A $100 dollar HJC helmet or a $400 Shoei helmet, it DOESNT matter. It was the big thing last year when an research was done with cheap helmets compared to Arai helmets.
link?

con
07-20-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

ditto, cost isn't everything.......I've owned HJC, Scorpion and now Joe Rocket (made by HJC) all mid cost range helmets ($200 - $300) with great reviews......

WickedIXMR
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
The thread is not stupid, he is giving information to show why not to buy a cheap helmet. His thread could probably help some fool that goes out here and buys a cheap helmet. So let him speak.
What information? How does this thread show why not to buy a cheap helmet? A "cheap helmet" most likely would have done the same thing, refer to posts 14 and 18.

GIXXERDK
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

ditto, cost isn't everything.......I've owned HJC, Scorpion and now Joe Rocket (made by HJC) all mid cost range helmets ($200 - $300) with great reviews......

Thanks for the link con. :goodjob:

It really comes down to how your melon is shaped/comfort. HJC will hurt my head in some areas, where with Shoei it was comfortable all the way around.

Princess12
07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I would not rely on the Snell label to automatically deem a helmet "safer." Snell labels are purchased at a dime a dozen by manufactures, and if that is not enough, Snell basically lowers the testing standards for helmets that fail the initial criterion. I learned this information at a recent helmet seminar where we were given all sorts of insight into the way helmets were tested and the JD Power and Associates ratings for this past year.

www.smf.org

On the website, check out the implications of Snell M2000 Testing Policy. It's a fairly long document, but I would definitely check it out. It's an extremely common misconception that the Snell sticker on the back automatically makes the helmet more reliable in case of an accident.

rickgiblin
07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
^^^ she speaks the truth, i had to sit through that dam seminar... it sucked, but i did learn alot of things that people should learn about helmets before they buy them. snell gives each manufacture 3 chances to pass i believe and each time they fail, they lower the standards. theres alot of things that go into it but just because it says snell doesnt mean that its good. honestly, wtf are you going to buy a cheep helmet??? did you spend too much on your bike that you cant protect yourself peoperly. you only have one life... dont kill yourself cuse you wanted to save $100 on a helmet and become another stat on a piece of paper cuse your dead. just my .02 . motorcycles are an expensive sport, if you cant afford it, dont do it

David88vert
07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
There is more too helmets than just safety also. More expensive helmets have features like better ventalation, removeable/washable liners, and lighter weight. You might not think that these are important, but they really do help. You get what you pay for.