PDA

View Full Version : s12

TheGrillMan
07-17-2007, 10:14 PM
well im currently looking at an s12 and i was just curious on what your opnions are?

also i want to keep it as old school as possible but then again 107rwhp is kind of a turn off so what are some swaps thats are possible in this auto?

im trying to stay away from a sr simply beacuse everyone and there mother has one and it has a ca20e currently really worth putting some boost to it?

SE-Rious1
07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
any swap for nissan really cause like i said its a S chassie car so it can hold Sr's or CA's
hell maybe RB lol

misfiend138
07-18-2007, 07:22 AM
The S12 was available from factory with the FJ20ET or the CA18[D]ET later on. These are the only turbo motors it came with. You could grab that from another S12 and put it in yours. The CA18 will be easier to find since they were available in more models. The FJ20 is a little larger but not as many people are familiar with the FJs and they make a little less power. I'm pretty sure there was also a V6 Turbo but I really don't know anything about it.
There have been all kinds of swaps, but it seems a lot of S12 drivers like to keep S12 motors, but I have seen RB20s swapped also, and though that would be the least direct swap, it should still fit and bolt fine.

I'm reading more into it and I knew there was a V6 available but I thought it was turbo. The V6 I found available for the '87 - '88 200SX came in the SE, and I thhhiiinnk that's the VG30E.

Some websites to check out are www.v6-s12.com and www.club-s12.org
You'll really want to look at club-s12 and find Indecisive on there. He's a buddy of mine and knows me from another forum.

.gauge.
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
The CA20 isn't worth your time. Parts are hard to find.

You can also swap in a KA24DE for cheap.

SpecV_Scott
07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
There was one in a junkyard here in Augusta with a CA18ET. I'd either go with a CA18DET or a SR20DET. They'd both swap in pretty easily and have plenty of potential. Or if you like making things difficult, stick an RB in there. Personally, I'd stick with an SR. There's a damn good reason "everyone has one."

TheGrillMan
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
The S12 was available from factory with the FJ20ET or the CA18[D]ET later on. These are the only turbo motors it came with. You could grab that from another S12 and put it in yours. The CA18 will be easier to find since they were available in more models. The FJ20 is a little larger but not as many people are familiar with the FJs and they make a little less power. I'm pretty sure there was also a V6 Turbo but I really don't know anything about it.
There have been all kinds of swaps, but it seems a lot of S12 drivers like to keep S12 motors, but I have seen RB20s swapped also, and though that would be the least direct swap, it should still fit and bolt fine.

I'm reading more into it and I knew there was a V6 available but I thought it was turbo. The V6 I found available for the '87 - '88 200SX came in the SE, and I thhhiiinnk that's the VG30E.

Some websites to check out are www.v6-s12.com (http://www.v6-s12.com/) and www.club-s12.org (http://www.club-s12.org/)
You'll really want to look at club-s12 and find Indecisive on there. He's a buddy of mine and knows me from another forum.

wow best advice ever ive only been on for 20min and anwserd most of my questions

+'s

misfiend138
07-20-2007, 08:34 AM
The downside on the RB20 is you won't find one in the states that wasn't already imported by someone else or you'll have to import your own. The bonus is that it was being built by Nissan during the same time they were building the S12 so it fits their style of mounts from that time.

Glad my advice helped. Personally I'm very into specifically Miatas but I know Nissans alright for someone that's never actually had experience on them. I just pick it up from people like Indecisive who tell me all about it. Really, that guy might as well have helped develop that car. He's the easiest to get to and the best resource you could possibly find for these cars.

AFSil80
07-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I just sold my 84 S12 turbo. US spec models did NOT have a CA18DET. They had a CA18ET, CA20E, or VG30E. Only the 84-86 SE's (hatches) were turbocharged, after that they had the VG under the hood. I'd stay away if it's a coupe unless it's got a swapped motor or something.

I don't believe we, in the US, had the FJ option. Pretty sure that was a Euro/JDM thing. As usual.

But yeah, club-s12.org for all your info.

EDIT: Just noticed you said it has a CA20E. I wouldn't boost it. I'd just swap in something else, IMO.