PDA

View Full Version : b-series crank pulley holder...

speedminded
07-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Any place to get them local? Talking about the hex holder, i'm not so sure about those universal ones with the dowel pins...

http://www.jtc.com.tw/jtcdata/photo/b1902.jpg

xbn83
07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Are you trying to take out the crank pulley? You don't need the crank pulley holder. Here how you do it:

-Jack up your driver side, take off the front driver wheel.
-Lower the jack so the car is level as if the wheel was on.
-Use a long 1/2" extension, long enough so it will come out side the fender.
-Put a jack stand near the end of the extension so it keeps the extension straight and level.
-Hook your 1/2" breaker bar to the extension.
-Put the end of your breaker bar into a long 6' or whatever length steel pipe. The longer the easier for you. (get it from Home Depot or Lowe)
-Put your car in 5th gear and have someone step on the brake hard while you outside pull on the steel pipe.

I guarantee the bolt will come off in the first try. I've done this so many times already. No need for the holder tool and air compressor. Even with my 400 lbs impact, I could not open it.

speedminded
07-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Are you trying to take out the crank pulley? You don't need the crank pulley holder. Here how you do it:

-Jack up your driver side, take off the front driver wheel.
-Lower the jack so the car is level as if the wheel was on.
-Use a long 1/2" extension, long enough so it will come out side the fender.
-Put a jack stand near the end of the extension so it keeps the extension straight and level.
-Hook your 1/2" breaker bar to the extension.
-Put the end of your breaker bar into a long 6' or whatever length steel pipe. The longer the easier for you. (get it from Home Depot or Lowe)
-Put your car in 5th gear and have someone step on the brake hard while you outside pull on the steel pipe.

I guarantee the bolt will come off in the first try. I've done this so many times already. No need for the holder tool and air compressor. Even with my 400 lbs impact, I could not open it.How's the brakes gonna stop the crank from turning? I just need to hold the crank pulley still so i can back the bolt out, i've alway had the pulley holder so it was never a problem but i'm not at the shop...

xbn83
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Put in 5th and brake will help to keep the crank still so you can break loose the bolt. You don't believe me? I've done this many times already. I have Unorthodox Pulley so that holder won't do me any good. That method is the only one for me. Try it, it doesn't hurt anything. Most important, you need a long steel pipe to use it as a long breaker bar.

speedminded
07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Put in 5th and brake will help to keep the crank still so you can break loose the bolt. You don't believe me? I've done this many times already.I think I gotcha now, I was working by myself but was pretty sure it was in gear (sitting level on 4 jackstands) With the clutch engaged the disc is against the flywheel so it would have to turn the driveline...therefore holding the brake should hold it as long as the clutch doesn't slip.

If I had found a nut big enough i could have welded a handle on it and made a holder...as i said before, never not used the holder so i feel stupid without it :tongue: It's like a cashier without a cash register/calculator :thinking: but there's always more than one way to do something!

xbn83
07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
And make sure you put in 5th gear, not any other gear. Other gears won't hold the crank still. Hope it will work out for you.

Vuongy_Dong
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I have one if you need to borrow. I know where you stay. been over there once.

Vuongy_Dong
07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
also, if you use an impact, impact it in, then out. do it a couple of times and it will break loose.

speedminded
07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I have one if you need to borrow. I know where you stay. been over there once.Thanks man but sold it last summer and have the car up in the mountains at a friends shop. I'll try the above technique above or find a nut to fab up a holder if I don't find one soon...i got the OEM part number for it out of my factory service manual but i'm sure it's like $100-200 :tongue: