PDA

View Full Version : I WANNA DROP!!

madking411
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
a pontiac sunfire low enough so that it actually looks okay. The stock stance is GROSS, it makes me wanna throw up on the car because it looks like somebody just rammed their foot up the back end and just kicked it up into the atmosphere! Now, I've seen some that were lowered, but they're either too low or not low enough. What kind of lowering setup should i get that'll give me just enough of a drop?? I mean, what company would be pretty cheap, and comfortable and reliable? I dont think TEIN would work out too well either because they're pretty expensive...

(Dont wanna go coilovers...too expensive and not really worth doing)

SLo_MKIII
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
get something that will remove the gap between tire and fender and it should look ok considering its a sunfire

Z32redondo
07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Dont pay much attention to sunfires...but i suggest getting rims and tires before you drop it. This way you can atleast drop it where you need it. If you run stock wheels and tires though when you drop it. If you do get some new shoes it will either have too much gap or not enough. Just my 2 cents.

iEvo
07-13-2007, 12:54 AM
get coliovers, that way u can make it however low u want to

Z32redondo
07-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Thats what I was thinking but they said no coilovers.

GSRteg®
07-13-2007, 01:05 AM
True that. :goodjob:

COGCaviZ24
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
eibach sportline kit is a 1.7"in the front and 2.3" in the rear drop and the prokit is like 1.4" all around. i got the pro kit on mine 'cause i got a body kit. i recomend replace the shocks as well, if you dont, you run the risk of the stock shocks busting.

their is some cheaper springs out, i have yet to find some that have a better ride quality than eibach for our cars(j-bodies) .

if/when you get some, hit me up. i've done several cavaliers and sunfires. i got a shop with a lift, and dont charge an arm and a leg.

AnTi-PooN
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
cut springs FTW

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
cut springs FTW

Lolol! I prefer heating, though. Although all the cars in my PICTURE thread had no springs at all. Later, QD.

S II K
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
be jdm and lift that son bitch. LETS GO OFFRODEIN!

speedminded
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
a pontiac sunfire low enough so that it actually looks okay. The stock stance is GROSS, it makes me wanna throw up on the car because it looks like somebody just rammed their foot up the back end and just kicked it up into the atmosphere! Now, I've seen some that were lowered, but they're either too low or not low enough. What kind of lowering setup should i get that'll give me just enough of a drop?? I mean, what company would be pretty cheap, and comfortable and reliable? I dont think TEIN would work out too well either because they're pretty expensive...

(Dont wanna go coilovers...too expensive and not really worth doing)oh so you're saying it looks like a stock SRT4?

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
cut springs FTW

bad fucking idea

AnTi-PooN
07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
bad fucking idea

:blah: :blah:

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
:blah: :blah:

I agree. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
bad fucking idea

Wrong answer. Later, QD.

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Wrong answer. Later, QD.

NO..

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
NO..

Ok. The fact that I've been doing this for 20 years probably lends me no credibility. Just like my racing past, huh? I think I know what I'm talking about on this compared to someone who's been doing this for what...3-4 years tops? I'll stick to: You Don't What You're Talking About for $1,000, Alex. Later, QD.

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Ok. The fact that I've been doing this for 20 years probably lends me no credibility. Just like my racing past, huh? I think I know what I'm talking about on this compared to someone who's been doing this for what...3-4 years tops? I'll stick to: You Don't What You're Talking About for $1,000, Alex. Later, QD.

well thats as long as i've been driving and im not neer as old as u and u dont really have anything to do with cars any more besides just drive them, . You get what u pay for and pls tell me y its better

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
well thats as long as i've been driving and im not neer as old as u

Exactly. My remark to the time difference was a put down towards ages and all. It was just to show you what I actually think you understand. I am older than you and more experienced at this than you.

and u dont really have anything to do with cars any more besides just drive them,

Well. I wouldn't say that.

. You get what u pay for and pls tell me y its better

I never once said it was better. Later, QD.

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Exactly. My remark to the time difference was a put down towards ages and all. It was just to show you what I actually think you understand. I am older than you and more experienced at this than you.

Well. I wouldn't say that.

I never once said it was better. Later, QD.

then y would u do it ?

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
???

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 07:54 PM
then y would u do it ?

Why not? From a racing standpoint, you wouldn't want to do it(although my neon springs were heated when I raced). For cruising and lowriding, there's nothing wrong with it. My proof is in the 20 years I've done this. I have not once bought a set of lowering springs. Until the car I have now. Even my CVCC in my sig is heated springs. I wouldn't cut springs because it leaves a much rougher ride than heated. In my 78, you can't even tell it's lowered. It's lowered 3". Back in the day, in lowriding, the object was low as you can. They didn't really have lowering springs for every car like they do now. Heating/cutting has been going on since before your parents were even born. My daily driver is the only car I bought springs for. In closing, heating springs isn't the best way, it isn't the right way, but I will vouch for it. I've never, ever had one suspension(or any other problem) related problem due to this method of lowering. Plus you can go as low as you want for only $10. Seriously. That's all it cost. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 07:55 PM
???

No since in rushing me, man. I'll answer when I'm ready. Later, QD.

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Why not? From a racing standpoint, you wouldn't want to do it(although my neon springs were heated when I raced). For cruising and lowriding, there's nothing wrong with it. My proof is in the 20 years I've done this. I have not once bought a set of lowering springs. Until the car I have now. Even my CVCC in my sig is heated springs. I wouldn't cut springs because it leaves a much rougher ride than heated. In my 78, you can't even tell it's lowered. It's lowered 3". Back in the day, in lowriding, the object was low as you can. They didn't really have lowering springs for every car like they do now. Heating/cutting has been going on since before your parents were even born. My daily driver is the only car I bought springs for. In closing, heating springs isn't the best way, it isn't the right way, but I will vouch for it. I've never, ever had one suspension(or any other problem) related problem due to this method of lowering. Plus you can go as low as you want for only $10. Seriously. That's all it cost. Later, QD.

well thats back then and we are in the present, stock spring arnt mad for any of that and sooner or later somthing will go wrong. thats why thet make parts made for those mods

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 08:06 PM
and sooner or later somthing will go wrong.

Maybe so/maybe not. I think after 8 years of drving, 2 years of racing and 150,000 miles on my neon with not one problem will tell a different story. I'm not telling anyone what to do. You do you. I know what I'm talking about. After all this time, you should know that. I know you know(PMs). Later, QD.

cactusEG
07-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Maybe so/maybe not. I think after 8 years of drving, 2 years of racing and 150,000 miles on my neon with not one problem will tell a different story. I'm not telling anyone what to do. You do you. I know what I'm talking about. After all this time, you should know that. I know you know(PMs). Later, QD.

did u have those spring done that way through all those miles?

quickdodge®
07-18-2007, 08:18 PM
did u have those spring done that way through all those miles?

I bought that car in 1998 with 14,000 miles on it. I lowered the car(literally) the same day I bought it. This is 2007. I got rid of the car this year. It had 160,000 miles on it. So basically yes. Later, QD.

Bballjamal
07-18-2007, 08:24 PM
i recommend you get Tein H-techs or S-techs on some KYB AGX's........

Gives your car a raked look (slightly higher rear) which flows well with a J-body's body line

My car on S-techs and AGX's
http://a384.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01052/38/37/1052697383_l.jpg

AnthonyF
07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
i recommend selling the sunfire. it will ALWAYS be an ugly car. Do not piss away your money on this car. 2 cents.

COGCaviZ24
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah, jamal's sits rather nicely.

AnTi-PooN
07-19-2007, 08:32 AM
lol at wanting to put Tein on an american car.... oh and qd nice work on catcus lol.. that kid is obviously inexperienced in anything related to cars..... PWND

speedminded
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
well thats back then and we are in the present, stock spring arnt mad for any of that and sooner or later somthing will go wrong. thats why thet make parts made for those modsThey make parts TO MAKE MONEY and because not everyone is intelligent enough to fabricate they're own things...

There's not a person in the world that can't learn how to change oil so why do you think there is a quick lube/oil change place at every corner? People would rather spend the money than the time...then for some their time is much more valuable than the money saved.

CRACKaLACKIN
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
take ur rims off. that'll drop it to the ground

blackshine007
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
To answer the debate of Cactus and QD, Cut springs are bad. Heated springs are worse.
To cut coils off is one of the methods the misinformed consumer becomes attracted to. Why? Because it's cheap (so they think). Cutting a spring causes an unknown increase in spring rate. This may cause unknown (usually poor) results in handling and safety of the vehicle. The cutting of a spring also increase the stress level put on the spring as well as adversely effecting other related chassis components.
Heating the spring so that coils collapse to lower it actually anneals the spring temper of the steel, which causes the heated part of the spring to fatigue. Generally some of the coils are heated so they collapse against each other. As the spring was not originally designed in this manner, it puts additional stress on the balance of the spring resulting in unknown spring rates and premature failure. Cutting or heating of a suspension spring will result in pre-mature failure (sagging or actual snapping) of the spring. Depending on the time of occurrence, this can cause expensive (and even hazardous) results. This failure not only affects the handling, ride quality and safety of the vehicle, it also can result in bottoming of the shocks/struts (which causes pre-mature failure and unsafe handling) and excessive tire wear due to non-alignable suspension = Bad News.

Cutting and heating of springs began when there was basically no other options to consider. At that time, sport springs were not available for many applications. With the popularity of suspension modifications for both the performance and appearance markets, sport springs are now available for most enthusiasts' makes & models.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/suspension/eibach/eibach_vs_cutting.htm

sleepys4
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
To answer the debate of Cactus and QD, Cut springs are bad. Heated springs are worse.
To cut coils off is one of the methods the misinformed consumer becomes attracted to. Why? Because it's cheap (so they think). Cutting a spring causes an unknown increase in spring rate. This may cause unknown (usually poor) results in handling and safety of the vehicle. The cutting of a spring also increase the stress level put on the spring as well as adversely effecting other related chassis components.
Heating the spring so that coils collapse to lower it actually anneals the spring temper of the steel, which causes the heated part of the spring to fatigue. Generally some of the coils are heated so they collapse against each other. As the spring was not originally designed in this manner, it puts additional stress on the balance of the spring resulting in unknown spring rates and premature failure. Cutting or heating of a suspension spring will result in pre-mature failure (sagging or actual snapping) of the spring. Depending on the time of occurrence, this can cause expensive (and even hazardous) results. This failure not only affects the handling, ride quality and safety of the vehicle, it also can result in bottoming of the shocks/struts (which causes pre-mature failure and unsafe handling) and excessive tire wear due to non-alignable suspension = Bad News.

Cutting and heating of springs began when there was basically no other options to consider. At that time, sport springs were not available for many applications. With the popularity of suspension modifications for both the performance and appearance markets, sport springs are now available for most enthusiasts' makes & models.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/suspension/eibach/eibach_vs_cutting.htm

Basically!

quickdodge®
07-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Cutting and heating of springs began when there was basically no other options to consider. At that time, sport springs were not available for many applications.

Exactly. I never said it was the right way. I just said cheap way. And I did state, also, that it is not for racing. Just for cruising. I've seen that article before many times when I've been in this discussion and I will stand by my word to the end. As I've stated before, my Neon was proof that that article is not always true. In fact, I've never seen or came across a car that did have any problems due to this type of lowering. The article is correct in what happens to the spring. But for ride quality, I will always heat up springs, lolol. Later, QD.

2turbo4u
07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
So why didn't you heat the springs on your Grand Am?

quickdodge®
07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
So why didn't you heat the springs on your Grand Am?

It was all about how low you could go back then. All those cars in my pic thread had zero springs at all in them. I was riding on struts. The ride was rough, but I didn't have a family with me, either, so I was ok with it. I have a big family now and I am also making good money so I can more afford to buy the springs that give me a good drop. I can't justify spending $300+ on springs for only 1" or 1.5" of drop. I'll heat them up in a minute before I do that. But the GA has a set that drops you 2.0" for $200. I don't mind that. Plus I know for certain that I have the right set up. And I don't want to go very low any more. Just a nice top-of-the-tire drop is fine with me. Trust me, though, I think about heating them on a daily basis(just about). Later, QD.

Bballjamal
07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
lol at wanting to put Tein on an american car.... oh and qd nice work on catcus lol.. that kid is obviously inexperienced in anything related to cars..... PWND

Call Tein and talk shit to them for expanding their market.....

O, and lol at wanting to make a jdm tYte car in america :thinking:

I take that back, because I don't care how someone else mods their car

BaHumBugg
07-21-2007, 11:57 AM
wow I didnt think it was a serious convo....seriouly cut springs????? wow

quickdodge®
07-21-2007, 12:01 PM
wow I didnt think it was a serious convo....seriouly cut springs????? wow

Yessir, youngin. Lolol. Later, QD.