PDA

View Full Version : boosted D series question (Crome, P28, etc)

RandomGuy
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
ok

So we're putting together a friends boosted d series,
cast iron manifold
tiny saab turbo .42 ar compressor .48 a/r turbine
front mount, probably 450cc injectors (with resistor box) walbro, FPR etc etc

chipped p28 ecu and obd conversion harness (already got it) prolly gonna put a crome map- anyone have a map(or know where to get one) that's good for a similar setup as posted above?-i'll put up specifics as i get the shit (mostly ebay haha) (just so we can drive TO the dyno semi-safely...) ,
Yeah and a wideband is not in his budget and i have no idea how to use crome so yeah that option is not good... He's just going to get it tuned once and thats that never mess with it again.

but any how

Its going to get tuned at mainstream when everythings up and ready to go

But I dont want it driven around at all untuned (except TO the dyno LOL),

I know jack shit about d-series, so can someone school me
I know its a sohc vtec motor (97 civic)
Its going to be a low boosted daily driven project for a friend
~5-8 psi (should be safe with a good tune/ right?)
On a stock block/ stock head, how much power can one safely push out theoretically.

I know B's are better so flame elsewhere, its a budget build

heh preciate it

mocha latte cupcake
07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
i'd change the bearings out and make sure all the regular maintenance is up to par. and yeah i'm pretty sure wek sos honda engines should handle 7 pounds.

RandomGuy
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
anyone know what the compression is like bone stock (oem gasket)

mocha latte cupcake
07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
i believe Ex's D16Y8's are like 9.:1

Tech5
07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
yes they are 9:8:1

Mr.MuayThai
07-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah dude, i would put it at 8psi tune it and call it a day. Oh and as far as driving it to the shop. just don't let it spool too much! try and keep under the spool line! like 3grand on that little turbo. but just be careful! Don't try and reline the bitch right away. good luck!

Vteckidd
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
220whp on a d series is max IMHO

anything past that, its a ticking time bomb

RandomGuy
07-12-2007, 12:14 AM
220whp on a d series is max IMHO

anything past that, its a ticking time bomb
werd

cool cool thats not bad

i believe when I went to mainstream a month ago Scotty had one (i think at 10psi) i think he made 200whp... he said it was a daily driver and i hear he drives fuckin hours and hours away heh...

do you mean 220whp is max safely on a d-series? or do you mean thats the upper limit period that you'd run on a stock D.

lol i dont know why i like shitty turbo sohc motors so much
the damn 8valve sohc starion/caravan heads have been seen to break 400whp stockblock...

Vteckidd
07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
well i mean, they can do 220+ on stock block, but they dont last very long at all.

scotty has had his for like 4 years at 200whp. he maintains it very well and takes care of it .

220whp is very possible, but on a stock block, thats really the max limit i would take it to.

scttydb411
07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
yeah, 220 is the max i'd recommend on a non-vtec sohc...200 or less if you really want it to last. mine just past 4.5 years in faithful service and passed the 130k mile mark.

give me a call...i'll get you a basemap to drive it up to us. you can either come to the shop to get it or i can meet you between the shop and/or in gwinnett area.

sounds like you're on the right track regarding the setup.

RandomGuy
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah, 220 is the max i'd recommend on a non-vtec sohc...200 or less if you really want it to last. mine just past 4.5 years in faithful service and passed the 130k mile mark.

give me a call...i'll get you a basemap to drive it up to us. you can either come to the shop to get it or i can meet you between the shop and/or in gwinnett area.

sounds like you're on the right track regarding the setup.that'd be awesome, man scotty you really are the man.

is there any way you can email me the .bin file (the person i bought the ECU from said he'll burn it on before shipping it out)
hasan300zx (at) bellsouth dot net ( i typed it like this to avoid spam bots)

but yeah or I can meet you in the gwinnett area, whatever's easy for you

his setup:
tiny turbo @ w/ 5.63 psi wastegate
front mount, 2inch piping,
450cc? injectors w/ resistor box (or whatever your opinion is for the setup, for cheap, readily available injectors)- What do you think?
its a 97 civic, i got that obd conversion harness you guys told me to, and a p28 ecu with a chip

I say we're going to drive at 70mph-ish in 5th the whole way from g'nett to mainstream ~1hour? Just need it to get there without messing anything up on the way.

Again you the man scotty, I'll keep bringin you guys biz

scttydb411
07-13-2007, 12:24 AM
just have him send the ecu w/ a blank chip in the socket (29c256 or 27sf512). i'll burn it for you when you get the ecu.

RandomGuy
07-14-2007, 03:49 AM
just have him send the ecu w/ a blank chip in the socket (29c256 or 27sf512). i'll burn it for you when you get the ecu.
lol does that mean i have to drive alll the way to freakin smyrna (1 hour?) heh?

scttydb411
07-14-2007, 11:20 AM
i live in s/e gwinnett so i can meet you somewhere...aren't you in gwinnett too? you bring the ecu, i bring my laptop=you have a basemap burned.