View Full Version : HELP: Car Sounds Like Garbage Disposal

my97lude
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
For the last couple of weeks my 98 prelude has been making strange noises. The noise isn't always there its just sometimes when i start the car up in the morning (when the engines cold) and also when i come out of class and its really hot outside i will hear the noise. the noise sounds very similar to a garbage disposal, but its not as loud as one. the noise will be there for a few minutes and then it will go away. you can only hear it when your idling and at really low rpm's and its coming from the engine bay. There is nothing caught in the fans or anything i ran a compression test and i got 205, 200, 210, and 205. Im not throwin a CEL or anythin and the car runs great, I just hear that weird noise from time to time. does anyone know what it could be?

iEvo
07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
a heat sheild or somthing isnt rubbing on anything is it?

Tech5
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
I love how everyone wants us to diagnois a car online or on the phone, but I would raise the car and put it on jack stands in the front, crank it up an drive it in first an see,hear , where it is coming from, but sounds maybe ABS or something rubbing , Goodluck hope this points you somewhere to try an fix it

GSRtegŪ
07-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice car BTW man ^^^^

Tech5
07-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Thank you

my97lude
07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
the thing is the sound only lasts for a minute if not less. So the last time i heard it i got out of my car really quick and popped the hood and tried to look for the sound and then it went away. the sound is only there when its really hot outside and at low rpms. so if i drive the car around and then park it outside for a long time. and then 3 hours later come out and crank her up the sound will come on for a minute and then go away.

2.0civic
07-11-2007, 08:50 AM
INTERESTING...

ITS ROD KNOCK

Killer
07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
For the last couple of weeks my 98 prelude has been making strange noises. The noise isn't always there its just sometimes when i start the car up in the morning (when the engines cold) and also when i come out of class and its really hot outside i will hear the noise. the noise sounds very similar to a garbage disposal, but its not as loud as one. the noise will be there for a few minutes and then it will go away. you can only hear it when your idling and at really low rpm's and its coming from the engine bay. There is nothing caught in the fans or anything i ran a compression test and i got 205, 200, 210, and 205. Im not throwin a CEL or anythin and the car runs great, I just hear that weird noise from time to time. does anyone know what it could be?

is your air on when you start the car?....

i've heard a few cars start funnier when the air is on and the engine is really hot or really cold.

my97lude
07-12-2007, 01:09 AM
no, my air isnt on. but hey whats it mean to have a rod nock. i've heard that before...just dont know what it means

Djlin
07-12-2007, 02:09 AM
no, my air isnt on. but hey whats it mean to have a rod nock. i've heard that before...just dont know what it means

it means ur engines :idb: soon.

Pickleteg
07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Mine kinda sounded like that when I had an exhaust leak on where the header bolts up to the head. The sound would go away after a few minute of running. Something to consider...

my97lude
07-12-2007, 03:37 PM
i was looking through my maint. records and i rmr the previous owner said he had to replace the t-belt at 56k because the auto tensioner was making a flapping sound and it turned out that it wasnt tensioned properly. i also, saw this tsb print out in my records and it said that it would be covered under warranty. When i looked at the cost for what the guy paid for the t-belt and tensioner it was only $180, which is definitely not how much the t-belt would cost at honda. is it possible that he got this done under warranty and only had to pay for the t-belt kit? i am thinking that since honda put the auto tensioner and not an h23 manual tensioner that after 60k miles the same problem occured. the sound is coming from the right side of my valve cover at low rpm's. Does anyone know if its the auto tensioner? now that i think about it it is a flapping sound kinda. if this is the case shouldnt honda cover the charges for the auto tensioner since they didn't do it properly or since its on the tsb.