PDA

View Full Version : why do Car show competitors....

Julio
07-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Always say, " I mostly go to car shows to hangout with friends and check out other cars"

But if they do not place... They get upset,bitch and complain ? I remember when I use to show, I wanted to win.. Are people just saying this so they wont look like idiots or greedy (sc)?

I mean, why spend tons of $$$ to not place.. Well , You can spend alot $$$ and your car still looks like shit due to poor execution or lack of decent parts.

Everytime I hear someone say this, then read somewhere, SO SO beat me.. Or SO SO didn't place, makes me laugh.

I was never a sore looser, Unless someone really did beat me.... I remember I went to the LAMS car show back in 03' and got beat by a piece of crap eclipse... I was pissed, That was the only show I lost to someone whos car was crap.

But anyways... To the peeps who say this.. shut the fuck up and keep it competetive....

drupason
07-10-2005, 03:18 PM
werd!

A.P. Photography
07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
It is human nature to always want to win. You try and talk yourself into believing that you only show to hang out with friends and see other cars. In reality you are hoping to win and if you don't then it pisses you off.

Brett
07-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Me personally, I didnt build my car to impress the judges.... I built it for the way I wanted it, I mean hell, If I did it for judges it would be alot more wild thenw hat it is, thats for sure. I do go to shows to hang with friends, look at cars and talk to people about cars and interact with people who come to look at my car, I like getting feedback from people at shows.

But yeah its nice to place, after all, Its a competition, But if I dont I am not going to cry about it, there is always next week and we dont win at every show.

Jaimecbr900
07-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I see people like that all the time. Whining and complaining all the while overlooking their taped on body kit or wavy paint. :rolleyes:

I've only had one show where I truly didn't understand why I lost. I've lost a ton of times, but only one time did I really not agree with it. I got over it and have won at much bigger shows so..... :2up: to that one show then, eh?.

I understand what you're saying though. I hate sore loosers.

One thing thought: What's the deal with show's that use judges that seem to know about cars as much as my wife does??????

Nittanys1
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
thats cuz ur wife is a smart one...lol

Julio
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
One thing thought: What's the deal with show's that use judges that seem to know about cars as much as my wife does??????

Don't know how to answer that without offending you.. Does your wife knows about cars? Or are you saying that she knows nothing?

IE: tunerfest.. those judges should work for the NCCA... why because they sucked.

Brett
07-10-2005, 04:31 PM
^^ Jamie shows with dumb ass judges ( Like yesterday at the LAMS show ) are shows that are to fuckin cheap and dont have enough care to provide good quality judges. They are just worried about ho wmuch they can pocket and dont want to pay any extra expences, but what they dont know is they loose people at the next event they do for the lack of quality judges. Like the LAMS show, I wont be back at, After a judge didnt even know a 350 next to me was a widebody ( How the fuck can you not know that if yoy are a judge ) And didnt even know what a 350z was, He thought it was some sort of "New Car" as he said to the guy with the car... I mean WTF?

BufordŽ
07-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Good question. I wondered the same thing.
No offence. I took that as your wife not being very knowledgeable about cars. :D

In the full two years I showed Sporty Accordy, I never got a single trophy. But I didn't bitch much about it. I was disapointed, but I never said much about it. Oh well.

Jaimecbr900
07-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Julio- Joan knows that the car needs gas to run and that's about the extent of it. She cares nothing about cars and mods other than it's expensive. So to answer your question: When you get this blank stare from a judge when you are telling them something about your car, you know you've just talked over their head and they are trying to figure out how to get the hell out of dodge. You know what I mean?

Brett- I go to a lot of shows. You know that. Because of what I posted earlier, I refuse to compete in just a couple of them. Once you spend your money and time only to have some high school reject that thinks the ONLY cool thing are cars that LOOK like F&F...... :2up: ..... Peace out, I aint coming back. NOT because I lost, but because I don't want to waste my time anymore.

Brett
07-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Julio- Joan knows that the car needs gas to run and that's about the extent of it. She cares nothing about cars and mods other than it's expensive. So to answer your question: When you get this blank stare from a judge when you are telling them something about your car, you know you've just talked over their head and they are trying to figure out how to get the hell out of dodge. You know what I mean?

Brett- I go to a lot of shows. You know that. Because of what I posted earlier, I refuse to compete in just a couple of them. Once you spend your money and time only to have some high school reject that thinks the ONLY cool thing are cars that LOOK like F&F...... :2up: ..... Peace out, I aint coming back. NOT because I lost, but because I don't want to waste my time anymore.

Yeah I dont decide not to go to a show because I lost, Just like the LAMS show yesterday, Hell I took 2nd in the civic class, But I still wont be back next year, The judges were jokes and if they didnt take it serious enough to get decent judges, then I dont take it serious to fork over $25-$30 to them next year. If I am paying that much, I expect a judge who knows something

s four t5
07-10-2005, 04:49 PM
i go to shows to get lucky with the ladies...haha just kidding.

quickdodgeŽ
07-10-2005, 04:51 PM
^^^ Obviously. Later, QD.

threehundred
07-10-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't understand how someone could apply or sign up to be a judge and know that they don't know shit. I've been to shows where there's no way in hell this guy actually thinks he knows more about cars than the people competing. Put it this way, who do you think knows the rules better in, say, basketball? The referees or the players? So why would there be judges that no 1/10 of as much about cars in general as the average competitor at the show?

Brett
07-10-2005, 04:56 PM
^^ Simple... Comes down to shows not wanting to spend money to pay a good set of judges, they rather have people they know do it for free or for little

threehundred
07-10-2005, 05:00 PM
I think in the future, when i'm older and not into showing, i'm going to judge for some shows. Cause I can be honest and let the other judges know what I know. Like I would rather judge the hondas/acuras, minitrucks, cause i know that shit. I shouldn't be judging a nice bmw, or say, a hot rod. I'll see if one of the other judges is better at that, and they can judge it.

s four t5
07-10-2005, 05:08 PM
maybe we should start a car show judge union....and make all car shows pick from the union. And fine those that don't....I think that's an awesome idea if i may so myself ;)

threehundred
07-10-2005, 05:15 PM
That is a pretty good idea. Shouldn't be real difficult, especially for local shows. IA has some really good potential judges. If shows were willing to spend a couple bucks on judges from this union, i'm sure people would have less arguments at the end of shows.

Brett
07-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Just have Pablo, Julio, Paul do all the shows, and no one cant whone, No one complained after the WTN show

quickdodgeŽ
07-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Lolol @ unionizing carshow judges. That shit'll never work. It would be stupid to even try. It will put a damper into this hobby, because it would cause smaller clubs that want to do something to not be able to. Later, QD.

s four t5
07-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Thats why it was joke...sheesh mikey.

Pablo
07-10-2005, 06:02 PM
I have seen a lot of sore loosers in my 7 years of judging car shows. they will always be those people at the shows. when I used to show, it was all about fun for me. I never thought I was goint to win. but, I always had fun.
as foar as baud judges or car show promoters not having good judges, I don't think that is entirely true. there are people that have a great knowledge about cars but don't know anything about "car shows" and that is most of the people you see judging car show. so, have some patinece with the judges and remember, they are not me :)

Brett
07-10-2005, 06:05 PM
remember, they are not me :)

Thats the problem, They need to have you train these fuckers..lol

KMDX
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
IMO You will never be able to make everyone happy when it comes to judging, because judging is based on somewhat of an opinion. I do understand that they should know in general about cars and modifications, but in the end what looks good to someone, might not look good to someone else!

quickdodgeŽ
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
. when I used to show, it was all about fun for me. I never thought I was goint to win. but, I always had fun.

I agree completely. Me, you, Scott, Brett and all of us use to have a great time. I was forced to just have a good time. My car was definitely NOT a show car. No where near it. I had no room to complain. I only won all my trophies and SLAP champ because I was the only one in my class. But I still went. And I had fun. Later, QD.

Brett
07-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah the times will never be like it was when Pablo was doing SLAP, we had alot of fun back then

AtifSajid
07-10-2005, 06:40 PM

RECENT SHOW???LOL

dfire9
07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Well I posted this in another forum, but yesterday at Lams show judge said to me there is stereo category and could he listen to my stereo so he can get a feel for it. WTF????? After that I knew what the deal was with the judging.

As for the original post from Julio, a while back I said same thing and people were all like i go for everything (friends, look at cars, hang out etc.) but not to win. BS everyone wants to win when you go to shows.If someone really did not want to win they would come to shows and park in spectator parking and go hang out with friends all day and save $25.00. just my 2 cents.

JC
07-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I have no problem losing a show as long as the cars that beat me are actually better then me. Judging plays a huge part in it, for example, the Lams Judge didn't even know I did a tail light conversion. Idiots!! I would never go back to that show for that reason.

However, if I am beat fair and square, then there are no problems. I think the problems with judges now, is they dont give more points for certain things. Meaning a car that has a clean body kit and paintjob will get the same amount of points a wide body with conversions gets.

However, I have to say, the "Elite" Judges based out of California are THE BEST JUDGES I have ever met. They are judging the entire DUB Magazine Show Tour. I won first place in Charlotte, and wanted to talk to the judge to see what made me win over everybody else. They talked to me for about 30 min talking about how they wanted to make sure all the lines in the body work lined up, quality of paint to see if there were swirls or fish eyes, and nit picky shit. They were so detailed I was amazed. They are the best in my opinion.

Pablo, Julio, Paul, I have heard you guys are amazing judges too, I just havent been to a show you have judges at.

Allstar3.8T
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I build to see what I can do to impress ME. I also go to shows to win. If you know me at all you know I like winning, and work hard to make my car win if/when it does. The shame is after this long doin shows, and w/ showing and winning w/ 8 different cars, I am usually more knowledgable than any judge that sees my cars. (not bragging, but its just the truth) Thats whats ruining it for me now, judges who dont really know thier shiet. I see the ALOT giving flamboiant poorly modded crap 1st place over a well executed subtley modded car.
I lost twice this year to a nice 300z w/ 100 yards chrome tubing under the hood that does NOTHING, and fairlady emblems that you can buy at Nopi. The owner says the car is imported from jap as a JDM OEM car, regardless of LHD, and other OBVIOUS USDM features that show otherwise. Regardless, on a score sheet I OWN that car, but the bling and the supposed importing of an import car (go figure) keep me losing to it. The judges dont smell it, so they reward it.
Hmmmph

Julio
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
However, if I am beat fair and square, then there are no problems. I think the problems with judges now, is they dont give more points for certain things. Meaning a car that has a clean body kit and paintjob will get the same amount of points a wide body with conversions gets.

hnmm... not in most cases. But just because someone has a widebody or convertions does not mean that person should score higher. It all falls down on how well is done.
But if both cars are done corectly, No way the regular kitted car should score higher then the widebody and convertion vehicle.

Sometimes, score sheets are also setup funny.. so judges have to know how to use it corectly.

I agree with Greg.... Honestly judging a car is not hard if you are knowlegable about cars.... But, sometimes you don't know about certain vehicles...
For example at the WTN show, I judged TREY's STI and VALS EVO.. Guess what I know nothing about these cars.. I told them exactly that I dont know jack about this cars... Please explain what this does with that... from the information i gather from that, I now have to see how well it has been executed and how clean the work has been done.
If some of you guys want to learn more about judging just ask the pro's Like Greg Chupp, Pablo, John Marsh all the all stars peeps are VERY knowledgeable and been doing for a long time. Also read up on the ICSA rules, very helpful.

This thread went down left field, but interesting none the less =]

Brett
07-10-2005, 09:25 PM
This thread went down left field, but interesting none the less =]

And this is a suprise? lol

Nittanys1
07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
But, sometimes you don't know about certain vehicles...
For example at the WTN show, I judged TREY's STI and VALS EVO.. Guess what I know nothing about these cars.. I told them exactly that I dont know jack about this cars... Please explain what this does with that...

It takes a good judge to know that they dont know what needs to be known and ask for explanation so they can grow....