PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Air Fuel Ratio Questions

wanger25
07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey I'm in need of help and i'm new and inexperienced with cars.
But I want to tune my car's air fuel ratio. I need to buy the tools to adjust everything. I would like to know what is the easiest system to use to tune my car. Where can i find some of these systems?
I would also like to know after finding out the readings of the AFR, how do you exactly change the fuel mixture? I know a couple of ways but i would like to know some easier ways or less confusing ways. Like: would you program your ECU? or buy different spark plugs?
So please help me out here. I would greatly appreciate your help

If you have any videos or other websites where i can find these information please list them

b17a1db2
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
first off, what car is it.?

Fr33way
07-23-2007, 12:46 PM
A simple AFC (converter not controller...) can get your feet wet into tuning. The AFC will "trick" your ECU into thinking more air is coming in (or less) and to compensate the ECU will pulse the injectors to release more fuel. If it "tricks" the ECU to think less air is coming in, the injector pulse is shorter and less fuel will be delivered. Changing these variables anywhere outside of 14.7 a/f is making the car "rich" or "lean".

A rich mixture is more stable but more energy is wasted because all the fuel is not combusted. On the contrary, a lean mixture makes the most use of the given fuel but can be very unstable. The compression ratio is a realative figure that illustrates the amount of pressure on the mixture of a/f before it is ignited by the spark plug.

Changing spark plugs is usually to meet one goal: their operating temperature. To run "colder" plugs means that the plug will not stay as hot and thus reduce against detonation (combustion before the spark actually ignites due to temperature in the combustion chamber and/or an overly lean/unstable mixture).

ECU tuning will usually have to do with getting more timing out of the engine. By this I am referring to the relative time between the intake valves opening, letting air into the combustion chamber to be compressed by the piston, spark plug igniting, and exhaust valves opening. As you alter the mixture and how fast/how intense the mixture exploads, the mechanical components need to be able to keep up (or slow down.)

Cliff's: A basic AFC should get you started.

Mr2raceworks
07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
If you get a AFC, I would suggest you to not do it yourself, and take it a shop that is knowledgeable about them and get the car tuned with it.

scttydb411
07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
still no idea on what car(s) you're talking about. efi101 is a good start and/or any books on tuning that can be found at the bookstore. a lot of reading and experiementing will help a lot.

quite a few websites dedicated to forced induction will usually have sections of the forum dedicated to tuning.

Fr33way
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Don't really see how the basics of tuning wouldn't apply no matter what car he is driving. Really just determines what products he can use and how.

scttydb411
07-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't really see how the basics of tuning wouldn't apply no matter what car he is driving. Really just determines what products he can use and how.

you're correct, however he did also ask about systems and ways to tune (ie: chipping, etc). it also can lead you down the path that is used more or less on the type of car he is using.

it's not important, but it is important if you know what i mean.

Fr33way
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
I hear you.

turbosx©
07-25-2007, 03:32 AM
why do you want to change it?

TTaz02
07-27-2007, 11:58 PM

highspeed
07-30-2007, 06:32 AM
you asked for help, these guys are trying to help you! ANSWER THEIR F*CKIN QUESTIONS AND QUIT WASTING THEIR TIME! RESPOND TO YOUR OWN POST!!!

He will never post again:goodjob: good job