PDA

View Full Version : Misc Therapists?

Seymour222
07-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Is clinical treatment for mental health a waste of time?
I can see several convincing points for both sides.
Please, discuss.

Shawna
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
No it's not imo b/c talking with someone that knows your problem better than you can help you cope with the effects of it and how to deal with problems as they arrise...I am also a firm beleiver in taking medication to help with these problems b/c no one person can solve all of the problems in their head/body. medication can help it become manageable and help you lead a more productive life in the long run. I think it is also good to get a 3rd part opinion in order to figure out the best way in dealing with some things and it can also be helpful in how to communicate your problem to other people and how to effectivly deal with it in normal everyday situations

.gauge.
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I see a therapist about every two weeks. It's good for me to let things out because I usually hold them in. She also helps me make decisions and talks me through on how to do things. I believe thereapists are a plus.

Seymour222
07-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Some people say talking to a "therapist" can magnify the problems at hand, blowing the situations out of proportion.

Tinton
07-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I think its good to have someone to talk with about your problems. I know I don't talk to any of my family/friends about problems I have, so a therapist can be good because its someone on the outside. I don't see 1 though, unless you've got real problems its just a waste of time.

I don't believe in using drugs to cope either. Maybe for serious mental illnesses, but if you're feeling depressed I don't think you should get drugs. I've felt depressed before, but you eventually learn to cope and you eventually get out of it. I guess a few weeks or a month isn't enough time for people to learn to cope with their issues. With the drugs its a quick fix, but you just get hooked on them and if you ever get off you're much worse than you were when you started. I know a girl like that, she's been on anti-depressants since she was like 12, she'll probably never be able to come off of them because she just couldn't handle it. Not only that, but she has to switch them up and go to a harder drug every once in a while because the last drug stops working. The issue is still there, the drug just covers it up.

Shawna
07-16-2007, 12:12 PM
^^^ and you would know how these drugs work how??? these medicines help you cope with the problem they dont make it go away nothing will make it go away it will always be there but the medication can make things more tolerable so that you can learn to manage the problem