PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate

az17xscrub
07-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi, let me introduce myself to you:

My name is Chuck and I'll be starting at GA Tech in the Fall. Orignally from California, in the San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland).

My parents want to buy a house in the ATL metro area, but we're not sure how the market is because we're relocating all the way from California. We're wondering what's some good neighborhoods to look out for. Our budget is less than 200k. We've looked at Gwinnett County and thought that was a good place to start. Any ideas? BTW, we're asian and my parents want somewhere that's not too far from the asian malls and stuff.

So far, I've used realtor.com and realestate.yahoo.com to look for housing. The prices are a big change compared to Cali! Cali's prices are 500k-600k for a small condo in a converted industrial zone! That's why we're moving to the ATL!

Thank you in advance!

Oh and another question, Do I need a Georgia driver's license to drive or can I use my California one? Are there local websites that lists classifieds for sale?

flysi00
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
hit up my dad he works for keller williams realty his name is elkin mosquera 678-557-8486 he can help ya out

Jaimecbr900
07-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Call me at 770-931-8600 tomorrow and I'll hook you up with the entire process. I have everyone from Realtors to Appraisers to Attorneys to me (Lender).

You can drive for a short period of time on your Cali license.

chmura
07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Call me at 770-931-8600 tomorrow and I'll hook you up with the entire process. I have everyone from Realtors to Appraisers to Attorneys to me (Lender).

60 days before u need to change I believe.....

as per homes..... north gwinnet, hall or Jackson.....

but if you want to be close to asian stores etc... u need to be close to atl.. like in the doraville, chamblee areas.....

Mr2InSaNe
07-10-2005, 11:09 PM
live somewhere by singleton or pleasantdale area and you will be close. 10 mins or less.

az17xscrub
07-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. We won't be buying until another 6months or so, so we don't want to contact an agent yet. Just looking for options that are avaliable.

Does anyone have input on Duluth, Norcross,Tucker, Lawrenceville, Suwanee, or Lilburn? What is considered N. Gwinnett? Chamblee and Doraville is a little too close. I was thinking maybe a good driving distance away, but not too far. I think Suwanee seems a little far, but how's the community?

I notice Duluth is in both Fulton and Gwinnett counties, Fulton being much more money than Gwinnett. What's the difference?

Again, thanks for all your input!

carrascopa
07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
the only place i would live in gwinnett is lawrenceville or duluth...

they are both close to everything you can dream of and an all around good residential community, i myself lived in cali my whole life so i know what the transition is like..I currently live in lawrenceville and i like it... Id rather be back home.. but thats life

Good luck with everything, if you want anymore advice just holla!

AWD OWNZ U
07-13-2005, 11:27 PM

What? Why would you change your drivers license? Just keep your California residency.

Yo Chuck I'm moving out from Tahoe to GA Tech, you should hit me up we can bullshit about how much better the West is. :) I'm in the process of buying a condo out in ATL too, I can let you know what I've found.

Jaimecbr900
07-14-2005, 07:28 AM
What? Why would you change your drivers license? Just keep your California residency.

You can only do that, legally, for so long. If memory serves me correct, once you relocate you have I think up to like 30 days to get a different license. I've seen people keep their out of state license for far longer, and I've also seen people that got ticketed by overzealous policemen too.

BTW, the only thing that truly establishes "residency" is where you live not your driver's license. This is why your address on your license is supposed to match the address of where you live.

AWD OWNZ U
07-14-2005, 02:38 PM
You can only do that, legally, for so long. If memory serves me correct, once you relocate you have I think up to like 30 days to get a different license. I've seen people keep their out of state license for far longer, and I've also seen people that got ticketed by overzealous policemen too.

BTW, the only thing that truly establishes "residency" is where you live not your driver's license. This is why your address on your license is supposed to match the address of where you live.

Ya but if he is just here for college he can still "live" in California. I never changed my license when I went away to college, and trust me I got pulled over plenty of times and the cops never said anything. Make sure you keep your plates too though.

JC

Jaimecbr900
07-14-2005, 08:47 PM
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1744173714&ty=dl

The "law" is one thing and what people are gonna do is another.... ;)

AWD OWNZ U
07-15-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1744173714&ty=dl

The "law" is one thing and what people are gonna do is another.... ;)

Ya but a college student is not a resident. Just ask his parents if they are paying resident tuition. ;)

tatodotcom
07-16-2005, 05:59 PM
i live in suwannee, its ok. duluth is ur best bet

Shawna
07-22-2005, 09:32 PM
his family is moving to ATL not just him.

az17xscrub
07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks for all of you guy's help. to calarify a few things, my whole family wants to relocate over here because it seems like there are lots of opportunity over here compared to cali where there all the housing markets are way too congested.

it seems like everyone is pointing me towards the gwinnett area, especially in the duluth area. i'm wondering is there any cons about that area?

again, thanks for all of your help! i appreciate it a lot.

Jaimecbr900
07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
There's always gonna be "cons" to every area anywhere. Sometimes it's just little things like far from the city or not a lot of shopping around to serious things like bad resale values and bad schools.

It's all in what you are looking for and what matters more. A family with young school age children may forgive a little further drive to work to get a Class A school district. A young couple may be willing to pay more to be in the thick of things. An older couple would rather shop at the only grocery store around in order to have a house with more land and cheaper. Again, I'm stereotyping a little but you get the idea.

"Cons" to some are "Pros" to others sometimes. Gwinnett has been a major hub for Atlanta for a long time. For many years it was the fastest growing county in the NATION. A lot of Commerce goes on here. A lot of housing options too. Homes from less than $100k to over $1mil in the same county. Schools here are considered some of the top public school systems in the Country. Economically and Ergonomically it is a very very good place to live because you are never too far from something yet there are still places available with real raw land to breathe.

Lawrenceville is the epicenter of Gwinnett county and actually serves as the "county seat", where the courthouse and gov't building are. It is actually almost in the center of the county geographically. It was actually where Larry Flynn (as in Penthouse owner and controversial spokesperson for 1st ammendment rights) was shot to become paralyzed. It has some very very good areas and it has it's not so desirable areas too.

Duluth has some very nice areas and also has a high concentration of commerce too. Gwinnett Place Mall is there. It has more traffic during certain times of the day because it has so many tributaries to the Interstate Hwy.

Suwannee is also a good area. It is further North in the County. It used to be the home of the Falcons training camp, which has now moved even further north. It has good schools and nice neighborhoods too.

Norcross you really have to know which areas to get into because not all are good.

Lilburn has excellent schools, but some areas are as Norcross....you have to know where to look. It also has ease to get on major roads to get to and fro easy.

Any more questions? :D

chmura
07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
There's always gonna be "cons" to every area anywhere. Sometimes it's just little things like far from the city or not a lot of shopping around to serious things like bad resale values and bad schools.

It's all in what you are looking for and what matters more. A family with young school age children may forgive a little further drive to work to get a Class A school district. A young couple may be willing to pay more to be in the thick of things. An older couple would rather shop at the only grocery store around in order to have a house with more land and cheaper. Again, I'm stereotyping a little but you get the idea.

"Cons" to some are "Pros" to others sometimes. Gwinnett has been a major hub for Atlanta for a long time. For many years it was the fastest growing county in the NATION. A lot of Commerce goes on here. A lot of housing options too. Homes from less than $100k to over $1mil in the same county. Schools here are considered some of the top public school systems in the Country. Economically and Ergonomically it is a very very good place to live because you are never too far from something yet there are still places available with real raw land to breathe.

Lawrenceville is the epicenter of Gwinnett county and actually serves as the "county seat", where the courthouse and gov't building are. It is actually almost in the center of the county geographically. It was actually where Larry Flynn (as in Penthouse owner and controversial spokesperson for 1st ammendment rights) was shot to become paralyzed. It has some very very good areas and it has it's not so desirable areas too.

Duluth has some very nice areas and also has a high concentration of commerce too. Gwinnett Place Mall is there. It has more traffic during certain times of the day because it has so many tributaries to the Interstate Hwy.

Suwannee is also a good area. It is further North in the County. It used to be the home of the Falcons training camp, which has now moved even further north. It has good schools and nice neighborhoods too.

Norcross you really have to know which areas to get into because not all are good.

Lilburn has excellent schools, but some areas are as Norcross....you have to know where to look. It also has ease to get on major roads to get to and fro easy.

Any more questions? :D

What Jamie was trying to say was the cool peeps live in Gainesville.... lol

Jaimecbr900
07-26-2005, 07:30 PM
What Jamie was trying to say was the cool peeps live in Gainesville.... lol

Well, if you want the cliff notes then yeah that's it....... ;)