PDA

View Full Version : Car moves in neutral??

TallGuy
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok my brother has a 1996 civic with a H22 swap.. The car acts likes in gear even though the car is in neutral when you let off the clutch, and trys to stall. anyone know what would cause this????

HeLLo iM iZzY
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Every car moves in neutral? LOL.
Seriously tho, maybe you keep putting it in gear but for some reason you think your in neutral. LOL
OK SERIOUSLY ! I dont know your problem. All I know that it sucks.

TallGuy
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
lol thanks.. I hope someone knows.. i dont want to take the tranny out if i dont have too.

patrick4588
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
i dunno

mocha latte cupcake
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
you have installed something wrong plain and simple, the clutch disc is rubbing apparently, i would assume your throwout bearing isn't exactly throwing out.... just my guess at that

TallGuy
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Hmm....well i guess the tranny is going to come like i thought.. thanks for the info guys.

mocha latte cupcake
07-08-2007, 08:18 PM
sorry for the bad news, but as a rule of thumb if you want a engine working correctly (rip it apart and rebuild the basics, and check your trans for issues) has always worked for me

TallGuy
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Me too, but my brother hates doing thing like that..lol

mocha latte cupcake
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
well your brother will now learn his lesson lol lol. it costs more money and takes more time but it saves you both in the end

TallGuy
07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
thanks man.

AnTi-PooN
07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
pressure plate?????? lol never heard of that good luck on not spending alot of money.

blackshine007
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Ok my brother has a 1996 civic with a H22 swap.. The car acts likes in gear even though the car is in neutral when you let off the clutch, and trys to stall. anyone know what would cause this????
That sounds like a couple of things.....

1. Pressure plate bolts unevenly/ over tightened.
2. Bad / frozen pilot bearing.

Did your brother replace the clutch or anything related to what I said before or during the swap? Did he use the alignment tool to reinstall the clutch assembly? And this sounds a little dumb, but is the dowel pins still in the trans or engine where they mount up at? Some things that need to be checked out sometime..... I wanna know more about that.

EDIT: one last question, does it make noise when in gear?

iEvo
07-10-2007, 12:52 AM
yea sounds like somthing with the clutch is staying engaged

allmotoronly
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
clutch is rubbing. fairly common with H22's

edit: misread the problem. I thought he meant it pulled when the clutch was disengaged...

IndianStig
07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
clutch is rubbing. fairly common with H22's

My clutch makes a a chirpping, whirring noise when im not pressing it. Is that my clutch rubbing? I think i need a throw out bearing, but whatelse should i replace if im down there?

(i might get a new tranny too, aha.)

3kgtdrvr
07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
someone please explain to me how this is the clutch??? every time the clutch pedal is released the engine and the input shaft in the tranny are directly connected and spin at the same speed. the only thing that affects the gears is the shift linkage and the shift forks and syncros. The throw out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, alignment tools, dowels have nothing to do with it staying in gear, and if the shifter is in neutral then the clutch has absolutely nothing to do with it stalling. it doesnt even make any sense to say its the clutch. did it start doing it when he did the swap? does he have any problems with it going into gear? i dont know lots about swapping hondas but i would check to make sure it has the right shift linkage first because it may be the wrong length and keeping it in gear. AirBrcak gave the most correct answer out of all of u

allmotoronly
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
My clutch makes a a chirpping, whirring noise when im not pressing it. Is that my clutch rubbing? I think i need a throw out bearing, but whatelse should i replace if im down there?

(i might get a new tranny too, aha.)

if you are going to take the time to replace the throw out bearing you might as well save you some time later and go ahead and replace the clutch.

allmotoronly
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
someone please explain to me how this is the clutch??? every time the clutch pedal is released the engine and the input shaft in the tranny are directly connected and spin at the same speed. the only thing that affects the gears is the shift linkage and the shift forks and syncros. The throw out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, alignment tools, dowels have nothing to do with it staying in gear, and if the shifter is in neutral then the clutch has absolutely nothing to do with it stalling. it doesnt even make any sense to say its the clutch. did it start doing it when he did the swap? does he have any problems with it going into gear? i dont know lots about swapping hondas but i would check to make sure it has the right shift linkage first because it may be the wrong length and keeping it in gear. AirBrcak gave the most correct answer out of all of u

who fucking knows...

TallGuy
07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
That sounds like a couple of things.....

1. Pressure plate bolts unevenly/ over tightened.
2. Bad / frozen pilot bearing.

Did your brother replace the clutch or anything related to what I said before or during the swap? Did he use the alignment tool to reinstall the clutch assembly? And this sounds a little dumb, but is the dowel pins still in the trans or engine where they mount up at? Some things that need to be checked out sometime..... I wanna know more about that.

EDIT: one last question, does it make noise when in gear?
He didnt install the clutch so we dont know if they did it right,and the tranny alignment is fine,and the car doesnt make any noise wile in gear. Im going to pull the tranny this weekend

TallGuy
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM

We already checked the shift linkage and it is fine..