PDA

View Full Version : Timing Help!!!

myyellowspec
07-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I just got done replacing a ton of shit on my car including the dizzy. I bought a simple timing gun and I have no idea how to use it. I have read the instructions, and thought I did it correctly, but the timing still seems a litttle off. Any and all help would be most usefull.

blackshine007
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Do you have the spark plug wire clamped on number 1? Do you have the shorting pin under the passenger side dash jumped? If so, maybe it's possible that you have the disty a tooth off. I would check all those things first to be on the safe side

iNsTuN nOoDoH
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Just make it set in the middle. You'll be good =0)

myyellowspec
07-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Just make it set in the middle. You'll be good =0)

It is set in the middle but something isn't right. I think its running rich as shit (definate gas smell after running). I don't know if the timing has anything to do with this.

StraightSix
07-07-2007, 11:34 PM
For starters, what kind of car are you trying to set the timing on?

Many, many late model cars have non-sdjustable timing. Ignition timing will be controlled by the ECU and there is no adjustment.

Some cars, like my '90 Hatch have a very small amount of timing adjustment.

Depending on what kind of car it is, you might only be able to check the timing with a light. The way to use the timing light is to connect the alligator clips to the positive and negative terminals, and then clamp the inductive coil around the number 1 spark plug wire. Then start the car, aim the light at the crank pulley, or in some cases flywheel, and look for the timing marks.

myyellowspec
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Its a 91 teg. Is the timing light supposed yo just fix the timing (that seems way too easy). Do I just watch the light flashes and turn the dizzy until the flashes match up with the timing marks on the front of the head.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
07-08-2007, 11:20 PM
What else did you mess with other than the dizzy?

StraightSix
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Just a timing light isn't going to fix anything. A timing light is only going to convey information that you won't otherwise know with out the light.

Anyway, there's a very small amount of timing adjustment available on that car. If everything else is doing what it should be, then your car should run regardless where the mechanical timing adjustment is set. Most of the ignition timing is being handles by the computer.

I would check other things before trying to time the engine. And, if you're running rich, changing your ignition timing isn't going to change that.

myyellowspec
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
What else did you mess with other than the dizzy?
Haha I have changed a lot : Clutch, spark plugs, dizzy, exhaust, pcv valve, power steering pump, interior, radiator, oil pan gasket, cap, rotor... i'm sure there is more. I am going to change my fuel filter and plug wires.