PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Car breaking up really badly at boost...

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
My car whenever it starts to hit like 1 psi of boost is breaking up so badly its undriveable.

We corrected the timing on it and put in brand new plugs and regapped them all. The only other thing I'm thinking it may be is that the IC pipes are leaking and thats causing it to break up because of the MAF. I checked the maf and its plugged in correctly and good. But actually now that I Think of it I think after we adjusted the timing the motor hasn't been idling as well.

It is a brand new built SR btw.

Nismo_RPS13
07-05-2007, 11:12 PM
make sure your coilpacks are grounded. does it brake up when you just rev it not moving? general rule: if it only does it under load=ignition problem

my car used to break up under boost and the guys at CCR helped me figure out at least one of my coilpacks were bad. I just replaced them all for the heck of it. It's really important that they have a good ground. You can even get grounding kits for them some places. FRsport used to selll one, not sure if they do anymore, maybe phase2 does.

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:13 PM
It does it just revving also. Doesn't have to be under load. We added a couple of new grounds too.

Nismo_RPS13
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
i'm assuming you have everything tuned for your setup... what is your setup by the way? if you don't mind saying

have you tested chip continuity?
what rpm's is it doing this at?
injector o-rings in good shape?
what's your afr doing when it does this?

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:20 PM
It is a fwd sr20det from an avenir. Built rods and pistons bored 20 over. 660cc injectors nismo fpr, and walbro 255. The fuel is set fine. The tune I dunno, but it shouldn't be breaking up from the tune, the car used to run on a stock sr20de ecu and didn't break up.

I was wondering how I pressure test my IC pipes and core to check to see if thats it?

Nismo_RPS13
07-05-2007, 11:23 PM
voila: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

build depending on size of turbo inlet

Spyder
07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Besure to set timing and idle when the car has been warmed up, unless you like about 20 degrees of retardation in your timing :)

Also... hasn't this car been running for a while(week or 2)? when did this start happening? has anything changed since it last ran in terms of injectors ecu etc?

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Besure to set timing and idle when the car has been warmed up, unless you like about 20 degrees of retardation in your timing :)

Also... hasn't this car been running for a while(week or 2)? when did this start happening? has anything changed since it last ran in terms of injectors ecu etc?
The car has been breaking up since it got running, it isn't anything that just started.

Nothing in the set up has changed at all.

Tracy
07-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Did you mention it to Dan when you talked to him about it smoking? Did you get the smoking fixed?

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Did you mention it to Dan when you talked to him about it smoking? Did you get the smoking fixed?
Yea, that has stopped, that only happened the first few times it cranked up.

Tracy
07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Yea, that has stopped, that only happened the first few times it cranked up.

Glad that stopped.

So you didn't mention the breaking up then?

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Glad that stopped.

So you didn't mention the breaking up then?
I thought it was just because we hadn't adjusted the timing yet. So I was thinking it was going to go away.

Spyder
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I would check to make sure your ignitor is working properly, also make sure the grounds in the car are good... the ecu may need a better ground. make sure the motor is properly grounded... change out the coil packs with some known good ones. check the spark plugs to make sure the are the correct ones and gapped properly. check to make sure you have good gas in the car... i think yours is prolly bad after a few years lol... ehh thats all i can think off of hand, post back and let us know... im sure you have enough 240 parts layin around you can check everything heh..

Tracy
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought it was just because we hadn't adjusted the timing yet. So I was thinking it was going to go away.

Ok. I'll ask him and see what he says. I'll try to have him call you tomorrow.

HalfBaked
07-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks Tracy.

And yea, we put new plugs, new gas, new whatever we could.

So unless timing is still fucked up, I think it may be the IC piping.

The Yousef
07-06-2007, 12:10 AM
tracy call me tomorrow too!

i don't know why....

but do it!

WE HAVE THAT DATE!

Nismo_RPS13
07-14-2007, 07:16 PM
you figure it out?