PDA

View Full Version : question about chevy motor\truck

TheGrillMan
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
i have a few questions as far as induction, how to more power to my wheels, ect..

if you can help me any just pm, me or reply

hydroshutter
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Ask away...there are several chevy guys on here to help you out.

Turbodude06
07-05-2007, 09:47 PM
You need a little more info man, what motor big block or small block, what cubic inches, carburated or fuel injected what vehicle is it in....

TheGrillMan
07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
well ive got a 1980 c10 short bed with a 400 shortblock bord .30 over
stock 2 barrel right now and some type of knock off brand of headers

now my questions 1st it seems as if my motor is able tto put way more power to the grouynd then it is

causes?

btw i have a blown head gasket on the driver side that have anything to do with it?

redrumracer
07-07-2007, 12:37 PM
yea a blown head gasket could have something to do with it. ditch the stock 2 barrel and go with a 4 barrel carb and intake. while your at it put a good performance cam in it also to allow it to breath up to its full potential. take off your stock mechanical fan and replace it with an electrical one.

2.0civic
07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
yea a blown head gasket could have something to do with it. ditch the stock 2 barrel and go with a 4 barrel carb and intake. while your at it put a good performance cam in it also to allow it to breath up to its full potential. take off your stock mechanical fan and replace it with an electrical one.

x2 and a good set of heads...

that blown head gasket is draining power though

ninabl
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
wile your replacing the head gaskets (DONT JUST DO ONE DO BOTH) eather get a good set of heads or get the ones you have shaved
since you are going to pull the heads off you should also get a cam shaft for it
i put a .465 summit brand cam in a 305 in a s10 with a set of new valve springs and seals on stock heads on a stock motor and it made a diference
i dont know much about 400 but i do know they arnt much different you might be able to go with a bigger cam
the summit tech line will help you
do your heads have press in or thread in studs?
if they are press in i wouldnt go much bigger then the .465 lift
and comp cams has a spring that will fit in a stock head that is good up to .500 lift
but if you go any bigger you will risk pulling a stud out
i can get part numbers and prices if you want from summit for the parts i used

DKB311
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
dude its a chevy, stay away from it.

TheGrillMan
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM

go away

TheGrillMan
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM

word

any suggestions for carb\intake combo?

what cfl ect..

but i think im going to go with edelbrock as far as intake\carb go

sullen
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
tip of the day, dump that domestic POS and get a reliable IMPORT car. thats how you make power to the wheels! TURBO!!!!!!!

sullen
07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
i thought of another tip. if you take out the pistons on 1 side of the motor, you'll gain some cubic inch displacement. it'll be like having twice the power that you have now. also, dump that carb and go get a lawnmower carb, they'll have more flow. acts like a ramjet.

TheGrillMan
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i thought of another tip. if you take out the pistons on 1 side of the motor, you'll gain some cubic inch displacement. it'll be like having twice the power that you have now. also, dump that carb and go get a lawnmower carb, they'll have more flow. acts like a ramjet.

ya know i try to refrain from "e thuging"

but when fucking asshats liek yourself start whoring up my thread it pisses me off

soooooo

go fuck yourself

word

redrumracer
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
if i where you i would get a summit catalog and look through it. edelbrock has proven combos with the intakes and cams so i would prob look into that, or get the specs off of the cam and match it up with a summit cam and save some money. and as for the carb id prob go with around a 750 or so. it also depends on your budget as to which route you go also, here and in the long run cuz that thing is goin to use a lot of gas.

TheGrillMan
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
if i where you i would get a summit catalog and look through it. edelbrock has proven combos with the intakes and cams so i would prob look into that, or get the specs off of the cam and match it up with a summit cam and save some money. and as for the carb id prob go with around a 750 or so. it also depends on your budget as to which route you go also, here and in the long run cuz that thing is goin to use a lot of gas.

alot of gas is an understatement

im at 10mpg corrently

redrumracer
07-08-2007, 11:36 PM
yea i guess that was an understatement. well whats 3 mpg less anyways right

Dracc
07-09-2007, 03:50 AM

but you drive a chevy:thinking:

buddha@TeamFX
07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
first thing...the heads on a 400 are junk...dump them...get a set of vortec best thing for the money...a comp xe268 cam...edelbrock air gap intake and edelbrock 750cfm carb. get a b&m holeshot 2000 stall and ride will be enough to put a big grin on your face and shot these little imports and 4bangers why 8cyl. are better...pm me if I can answer anything for you.

Turbodude06
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
^^ a 750cfm is a little big for a 400 if your daily driving it and if you have no aftermarket cam.. I'm not a fan of stalls cause I've had them before and they really don't seem to do anything unless you have a pretty built motor although a 2000 isn't that big, but you will need it if you get a good size cam... I had a big cam in a 350 once and no stall and it would get a little anoying at lights cause your car would just start jumping forward.

-For a low buget I would first fix your headgasket problem.
-Then I would go with a better intake manifold, I like the edelbrock performer intake manifold that are a high rise intake manifold but you don't loose any bottom end from them, then get a 600-650cfm carb and last get a good size cam if you call comp cams they have a chart that tells the sizes and which one's you'll need with a stall, if your not putting a stallconverter in then I would go with the first one you'll need a stall with, it will idle a little ruff but will sound really good, and if you are going with a stall then go a little bigger, it just depends if your driving this daily or not....
-Get some headers and good dual exhaust don't straight pipe it you loose back preasure and thats VERY VERY VERY important on carberated motors, Hope this helps u out a little....

TheGrillMan
07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
^^ a 750cfm is a little big for a 400 if your daily driving it and if you have no aftermarket cam.. I'm not a fan of stalls cause I've had them before and they really don't seem to do anything unless you have a pretty built motor although a 2000 isn't that big, but you will need it if you get a good size cam... I had a big cam in a 350 once and no stall and it would get a little anoying at lights cause your car would just start jumping forward.

-Then I would go with a better intake manifold, I like the edelbrock performer intake manifold that are a high rise intake manifold but you don't loose any bottom end from them, then get a 600-650cfm carb and last get a good size cam if you call comp cams they have a chart that tells the sizes and which one's you'll need with a stall, if your not putting a stallconverter in then I would go with the first one you'll need a stall with, it will idle a little ruff but will sound really good, and if you are going with a stall then go a little bigger, it just depends if your driving this daily or not....
-Get some headers and good dual exhaust don't straight pipe it you loose back preasure and thats VERY VERY VERY important on carberated motors, Hope this helps u out a little....

wow someone finally broke it down for me +1

but as ironic as it is i just sold my truck with the 400sb and im picking up a 85 jimmy with a lt1 tpi 350 from a c4 vette

any more info as far as daily driving ect?

cause i will spend a good amount of time in it i just want something street worthy but at the same time will cut a rug lol

Turbodude06
07-10-2007, 09:17 PM
their isn't much u need to do with a good running LT1 in a little jimmy those are pretty quick just bolting them in. maybe a 3.73 rear gear if it doesn't have that already I'm not really good with those year jimmy's....

buddha@TeamFX
07-11-2007, 09:24 AM

This coming from someone in a import...trust me 750cfm is not to big for a daily 350 or 400 on the street with a little performance upgrades...now you wouldn't want to stick a holley 750cfm double pumper cause that would be too much but a vacuum secondary or edelbrock would be perfect...

StupidBikerBoy
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
What you need is a good set of heads, which I just happen to have lol.

How about a set of 1964 corvette 461 casting 350 horse heads? Very rare, but since Im getting into the LSx's I doubt I'll ever use them.:goodjob:

Anyways, ditch the 2 barrel, go with a 650-750 4 barrel. Slap on some decent heads and a good torque cam and you'll be set!

TheGrillMan
07-11-2007, 09:19 PM
ok another question

i have no idea what tranny is in my truck expect for it;s a 3speed auto

any way top find out easily?

and also where could i find a turbo 350 to rebuild or something along those lines

Turbodude06
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
This coming from someone in a import...trust me 750cfm is not to big for a daily 350 or 400 on the street with a little performance upgrades...now you wouldn't want to stick a holley 750cfm double pumper cause that would be too much but a vacuum secondary or edelbrock would be perfect...

How do u know I just own an import, Imports are for daily drivers I have a 79 Monza with a LT1 and a 6-71 blower and I've always owned something older so don't talk about me if u don't know me and yes a 750 is a little to big for daily driving my car only has two 450's on it and its blown and not daily driven...

Turbodude06
07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
ok another question

i have no idea what tranny is in my truck expect for it;s a 3speed auto

any way top find out easily?

and also where could i find a turbo 350 to rebuild or something along those lines

if its an auto 3 speed more then likely its a TH350, and any trans shop can rebuild those, their like one of the most popular transmissions..... But what do I know I only have 470hp running threw one......

TheGrillMan
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
if its an auto 3 speed more then likely its a TH350, and any trans shop can rebuild those, their like one of the most popular transmissions..... But what do I know I only have 470hp running threw one......

any ideas on pricing of a rebuild or some shops that do good work/?

also any shops you guys know of that could rebuild my motor and prices?

Turbodude06
07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I always use STR Transmission but their really close to me in main woodstock hear, but their really expensive I usually trade some tint out with the guy and get a good deal...

TheGrillMan
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
ok another question the guy i bought the motor\ truck from said he had rebuilt the motor not to long ago yet it smoked sonsiderably on start up but isn;t so bad when im driving around

now the head gaskets are still a nice black color so im wonding if he just didn;t have enough torq on the heads is this possible
?

also could it also be rings? and if so how difficult is it to put new rings in

buddha@TeamFX
07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
It could be a number of things causing it smoke could be as simple as valve seats...
To tell what kind of trans pull it down in first and get on the gas if when it tacks it shifts by its self then its a turbo 400 if not then turbo 350...

buddha@TeamFX
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Is that 470hp from your blower motor?

buddha@TeamFX
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
How do u know I just own an import, Imports are for daily drivers I have a 79 Monza with a LT1 and a 6-71 blower and I've always owned something older so don't talk about me if u don't know me and yes a 750 is a little to big for daily driving my car only has two 450's on it and its blown and not daily driven...

Let see some pics of this car!!!

TheGrillMan
07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
It could be a number of things causing it smoke could be as simple as valve seats...
To tell what kind of trans pull it down in first and get on the gas if when it tacks it shifts by its self then its a turbo 400 if not then turbo 350...

ok i just picked up 2 head gaskets to throw on this weekend ill examine everythign tho to see if anything else needs replaced

oh and i wana see this to cause 450whp is small for something blown unless it;s a 305\302 or smaller

buddha@TeamFX
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Well now don't say that...if its a chevy 302 from 67-69 dz camaro's...those things can be made awesome without a power adder...I ain't trying to start no flaming or nothing but I've built over a dozen cars all except for 1 all of them were GM...450hp with a blower would've had to been a basically stock small block...

TheGrillMan
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
hey well excuse me then im take the atempted flame back lol

ok soo if it;s not a head gasket or valve seals what could it possibly be?

rings?

and if so could i do the rings myself with out any speciality tools?

and also im having troble find a good set of heads to fit the 400 any vortecs i find dont fit them

plus im in the market for used and i cant seem to find anything
plus i dont want to go to a junkyard to look beacuse i dont rerally know what im lookiong for

buddha@TeamFX
07-21-2007, 08:08 AM
The vortecs will work...you just have to have the steam holes drilled...all you would need for the rings is a ring compressor other than that no specialty tools...

TheGrillMan
07-21-2007, 05:50 PM
The vortecs will work...you just have to have the steam holes drilled...all you would need for the rings is a ring compressor other than that no specialty tools...

ok word one more question

valve job?

how difficult?

speciality tools?

beacuse thats what im figuring does the smoking cause the head gaskets look fine to me

SL65AMG
07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
tip of the day, dump that domestic POS and get a reliable IMPORT car. thats how you make power to the wheels! TURBO!!!!!!!

tip of the day:
real cars don't need turbos to make power.... the size of the engine does it for you.

take out the motor, rebuild it with new gaskets/seals/bearings and put in a new cam, maybe some higher compression pistons.

Holley, Edelbrock, and Dart i believe make a kit that comes with cam, intake, heads lifters and all of the reqd. gaskets and its supposed to make 410-435hp.

for a SBC 1955-86 it costs $1565.99....

www.jegs.com

SL65AMG
07-22-2007, 09:08 PM
hey well excuse me then im take the atempted flame back lol

ok soo if it;s not a head gasket or valve seals what could it possibly be?

rings?

and if so could i do the rings myself with out any speciality tools?

and also im having troble find a good set of heads to fit the 400 any vortecs i find dont fit them

plus im in the market for used and i cant seem to find anything
plus i dont want to go to a junkyard to look beacuse i dont rerally know what im lookiong for

if you dont know whether you need special tools, chances are you havent ever torn down the engine. dont do it yourself, or at least get some experienced help

Z32redondo
07-24-2007, 12:38 AM

:no: Sad little man

TheGrillMan
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
:no: Sad little man

i duno if sad is the word

id say soemthing more like disturbed

Z32redondo
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
i duno if sad is the word