PDA

View Full Version : i'm looking at supercharging my gsr and would like advice

efman
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
i have a 99 integra gsr that i'm thinking of buying a used jrsc for, i'd like to ask some questions about them,

1. if i pick one up used what am i looking for

2. if i pick one up used is there anywhere i can have it rebuilt ?

3. what tunning is needed to run a jrsc, right now my motor is stock besides i/h/e

4. how much should i be able to pick one up for ?

and ofcourse i'll rep anyone with good info, thanks for the help yall !

AnclyT
07-03-2007, 12:31 PM
my advice...

go turbo!

2.0civic
07-03-2007, 12:32 PM
turbo all the way

CSquared
07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
personally i think i stick of dynamite works equally as well.

efman
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
i dont want to go turbo, its gonna end up being more money, and its not as reliable, i'm also into mountain runs so i dont want the problem of lag, i just plain dont want to go turbo !

CSquared
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
i dont want to go turbo, its gonna end up being more money, and its not as reliable, i'm also into mountain runs so i dont want the problem of lag, i just plain dont want to go turbo !

Not if you get the right size turbo and know how to drive with one.

Jerra
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Go turbo. Its the way to treat a nice gsr. Its not that bad...maybe 3 grand for the kit plus install....granted you will need to tweak it, but you can get a pretty good kit...garret wastegate,,,etc...for like 2...I know a guy who has his own shop who will put it on well for cheap...

Sport1.3
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Positive Displacement Supercharger = boost off idle. there is no turbo that will give you that kind of response...period.

efman
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Positive Displacement Supercharger = boost off idle. there is no turbo that will give you that kind of response...period.

i'm positive i'm not going turbo, i'm hoping to find some info on s/c but it is'nt lookin like thats gonna happen

Sport1.3
07-03-2007, 02:44 PM
i'm positive i'm not going turbo, i'm hoping to find some info on s/c but it is'nt lookin like thats gonna happen

Well there is plenty of information out there. What are you looking to find out? I dont have personal experience with JRSC's or Much for honda's for that matter, but i do know my fair share or other applications (i.e toyota (TRD), Eaton, E.L Prototypes, Paxton, Whipple... etc). Maybe i could help you out...if not i'm sure there are others that can

efman
07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
ya i dont have any experance, but im looking for answers on like what tunning is needed, what parts other than the supercharger "kit" is needed, what to look for when buying a used one, those are the main questions i have, thanks for any info

efman
07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Not if you get the right size turbo and know how to drive with one.
turbo is just not what i'm going for :no:

Evil Goat
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
google is where the info's at...noone like STUPERcharging shit on here

OTG Signs
07-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Want advice?

Don't supercharge it.

efman
07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Want advice?

Don't supercharge it.
whats the logic behind that

Sport1.3
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
ya i dont have any experance, but im looking for answers on like what tunning is needed, what parts other than the supercharger "kit" is needed, what to look for when buying a used one, those are the main questions i have, thanks for any info

Well if you're in the market for a specific "kit" then everything you need should be included. Most often times the hardest part about installing a roots style unit (what i assume you are looking at) is the fabrication in the bracketry, alignment with the crank pully, Throttle linkage adjustment to modified Throttle body, and piping fabrication. The fuel tuning is similiar to what you would see in any B series turbo application. Most often times a simple/cheap RRFPR, larger injectors, and an O2 Sim are all that are required. If you're looking into JR kits then that should all have been done for you already. Most of their kits a "bolt on/plug and play" affairs. So as far as "tuning" there wouldnt be much required, if at all. Other then that there are endless ways to have the set up tuned on a Dyno for different performance characteristics: adjust cam timing( ie more Valve overlap for better scavenging), adjust fuel maps if Standalone is included, underdriving/overdriving the SC unit for greater effeciency/higher boost, Having the Rotors re-coated etc etc....

patrick4588
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
jackson racing makes a eaton supercharger for the gsr. i looked at getting one for a while. you can make about 220whp on it with minimal modifications.

Sport1.3
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
jackson racing makes a eaton supercharger for the gsr. i looked at getting one for a while. you can make about 220whp on it with minimal modifications.

Impressive :goodjob: ...I assume something similiar to their standerd M-90?

OTG Signs
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
whats the logic behind that

I've had three supercharged cars and two turbo cars, and I know the ins and outs of them both. I'd do a turbo setup or nasty compression and big cams.

cactusEG
07-03-2007, 05:27 PM
super charger is scheaper but cant get as much power as a turbo

green91
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
caleb find a blower and i'll install and tune for you

Dietcoke
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Impressive :goodjob: ...I assume something similiar to their standerd M-90?

M90 is way too big for a stock gsr... lol. Maybe an M62 or the one smaller then that.

scttydb411
07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
if you get the jrsc don't use any of jackson's engine management (fmu and iat hacks). get larger injectors and a socketed/chipped ecu and run hondata or crome. if you're obd1 your ecu can be socketed/chipped...if you're obd2 then you'll need to get an obd2-1 conversion harness and a socketed/chipped obd1 ecu. get it tuned.

feel free to give me call if you have any questions.

efman
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
if you get the jrsc don't use any of jackson's engine management (fmu and iat hacks). get larger injectors and a socketed/chipped ecu and run hondata or crome. if you're obd1 your ecu can be socketed/chipped...if you're obd2 then you'll need to get an obd2-1 conversion harness and a socketed/chipped obd1 ecu. get it tuned.

feel free to give me call if you have any questions.

as i get more serious i might give you a call, thanks ! :goodjob:

AnthonyF
07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
a super charger has some benifits. but one key thing that most people do not know is:

it TAKES hp to MAKE hp with a s/c. Meaning if ur running 10psi on ur S/C and some1 else has the same motor with a 10psi turbo...they will be making more hp b/c it is less stress on the motor. Now you won't have to deal oil lines..."TURBO LAG". but you MIGHT have belt slipage, belt wear, lower MPG due to the stress of the motor trying to turn it.

Dietcoke
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
a super charger has some benifits. but one key thing that most people do not know is:

it TAKES hp to MAKE hp with a s/c. disregard the rest of this post.

Disregard this post as shown above.

A turbo pushing 1000 cfm will make more hp then a supercharger pushing cfm due to the parasitic losses of the supercharger. Psi is just that, pressure. Pressure doesnt make horsepower, volume does. Generally, the more volume, the more pressure, but that isn't always the case. A supercharger pushing 5 psi can easily make more then a turbocharger pushing 5psi if it puts out significantly more air volume.

That is all :yes:

allmotoronly
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
The JRSC is a pretty decent model, but the GSR kit only adds about 60hp. you might be able to squeeze 75 out of it if you get a hondata or chrome system. even if you can find a used JRSC for about $1000, you will still need to get bigger injectors and a good ecu and tune.

Jackson racing offers a stage 2 upgrade kit that consists of a tuned hondata s300 ecu, rc440 injectors, and two high boost pulleys for around $1500. If I were you, I would go that route. the stage 2 kit adds about 100-110whp over stock.

http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=41636
http://www.hondata.com/jrsc_big_boost.html

Sport1.3
07-05-2007, 07:14 PM

it TAKES hp to MAKE hp with a s/c. Meaning if ur running 10psi on ur S/C and some1 else has the same motor with a 10psi turbo...they will be making more hp b/c it is less stress on the motor. Now you won't have to deal oil lines..."TURBO LAG". but you MIGHT have belt slipage, belt wear, lower MPG due to the stress of the motor trying to turn it.

a supercharger has plenty more benefits then you give it credit for, you of all ppl should know better then that. If nothing more, they make a much more usable power...period. Midrange is where you want the power for a track car. With an engine like the B series a stout low end and an even better midrange will only suit the car even more. A honda with Tq off idle...who would have guessed. Parasitic loss is always going to be somewhat of a down fall of an SC set up, but you arent actually losing in the end. you lose ~10% effeciency over stock to create 60% more power...i dont see this as much of a down fall. Plus the fact ppl never realize a turbo has similiar fallbacks, in that it creates a HUGE amount of back pressure to create its power, which causes a great amount of heat, which if not harnessed correctly can cause effeciency loss as well. Also Turbo's are hardly "less" stress on a motor, rather they are not used as often. A turbo when reaching threashold acts like a giant Shock to drivetrain components, which over time can cause all kinds of fun stuff to go wrong with a motor. A clutch type supercharger can be used (ex toyota sc12) in which can be mechanically or manually turned off, thus decreasing wear to drivetrain components and increasing fuel economy, much more practical then just "staying out of boost" with a turbo set up. Now if you want the best of both worlds, then start reading up on Twincharging ;) ...all the benefits, none of the fallbacks

Black R
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

TRUTH

for mountain runs, rr or ax this is a very good solution since you will be in low rpm's coming out of a corner and the blower helps soooooo much with low end torque. turbo or crazy top end isn't helpful in those types of situations.

if you want info on jrsc, i suggest you read this thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1214810

highspeed
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
where do you live in dahlonega. Hit me up man if you get a supercharger or turbo let me know I will be more that happy to put my wideband on it and if you want I can chip your ecu for you so that you can run bigger injectors and run safer. I work at advance auto and have the black gsr hatch there......if the cars there so am i. TTYL