PDA

View Full Version : not getting spark [UPDATE: I'm getting spark now/ Not getting fuel]

RandomGuy
07-03-2007, 03:38 AM
Ok so my car isn't getting spark,

at first i thought i lost the prime in my fuel line but that wasn't it.
I was riding on E on the highway, drove to the next exit, pulled up to the pump, let the car cool down for a minute (and the car died like 15 seconds later) after good idling, etc... wouldnt start back up....figured whatever so i put in some more gas... put it on IG for a min... tried starting it... starion fuel pumps give fuel based on ignition input so it only primes for like a second on the ON position... so i put 12V to the pump... let it prime for a good 30 seconds.... still no startey... took off the fuel return line, put 12V on, squirted into a coke can.... yup i'm getting fuel... my ecu doesnt control ig timing, so ... yeah

so I checked for spark, no spark.....
(heres my ignition setup)
MSD 6AL (with 6000 pill)
MSD BTM
msd blaster 2 coil
starion dizzy with dodge caravan ignition module (for the MSD)

so I changed out the coil with a brand new one, still no spark

Put a tester on the + and - of the MSD coil, put the key on ON position, no voltage, (is it supposed to read voltage on ON position, or only while cranking/running?)

did i mention that my starter is fucked up.... makes shit harder to test.

Anyways I dunno what it can be, i got my MSD box brand new, i'd say theres less than 1k miles on it, the BTM has like 200 miles on it?, the coil was brand new with the MSD box,

gonna check the dizzy cap and button, but i put in new ones maybe 1k miles ago... but its worth a shot... but its wierd, the car went from idling perfect to shutting off to me having to tow it a mile to my house and never starting back up.

Anyone have any ideas, or have an extra MSD box we can swap out for a minute to diagnose, I dont want to buy another one bc once its open you can't return it.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8291/msdcaravandist6yg.jpg
^thats EXACTLY how i wired it

Stormhammer
07-03-2007, 04:14 AM
gert a new dizzy cap, new plug wires and new plugs - possible your coil to dizzy plug wire came loose?

Stormhammer
07-03-2007, 04:16 AM
you should also give that LED check light a shot

RandomGuy
07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
nah wires are good, the plugs have less than 100 miles on 'em

the wires are ngk 8mm's (1k miles on em) they're good man

its something funny going on.... I been usin the checker I'm thinking its the ignition module not giving hte signal to the MSD (but i wanted to ask, if the msd would still give voltage to the coil, without that trigger)... anyone know this?

redrumracer
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
did you check your fuses and or relays?

Dracc
07-04-2007, 02:04 AM
did you check your fuses and or relays?

wow.... peace

SLow_POke
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
i beleive they are tested by resistance, coil that is .

as far as checking your MSD ign check to see if its getting power(battery voltage)
if it is check the trigger to ground. if you are getting good ground (arching from trigger to ground) then might be your coil

RandomGuy
07-05-2007, 04:44 AM
i beleive they are tested by resistance, coil that is .

as far as checking your MSD ign check to see if its getting power(battery voltage)
if it is check the trigger to ground. if you are getting good ground (arching from trigger to ground) then might be your coil
good post... but what if the unit itself is bad?

i'm thinking its the ignition module i'm gonna be workin on it all day tomorrow hopefully get it up before varsity

Hopefully i dont got to use anything from my other starion cuz then it'd be til forever til its running heh....

i'd rather just get something from the store

1civic
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I been usin the checker I'm thinking its the ignition module not giving hte signal to the MSD (but i wanted to ask, if the msd would still give voltage to the coil, without that trigger)... anyone know this?

Try By passing the MSD Box and that will tell If the module is bad... If You have spark without the MSD box hooked up then you know its the MSD Box itself.. But if you still have no Spark then the Module is bad or you have a Break somewhere (Fuse, Igniton Switch, Wiring)...My :2cents:
Hope This Helps... :goodjob:

EDIT: I was Looking at you Wiring Diagram... The Tach Adapter, They are known for going bad and I have seen just that cause a car not to Spark... Try Taking it out and then Go with what I said Above... ;)

RandomGuy
07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
oh yeah i forgot to mention this whole time my starter has been mest up making it hard to diagnose a problem ....

worked on it a little more, i put my ignition module in the dizzy from my other car and put the dizzy in this car.

popped it in... seemed like no difference (as far starting with the starter goes- since it does work once in a blue moon)

.... so i'm like whatever i rolled the car down a steep hill, seemed like it was "running" yet not with the hill when i popped the clutch, engine semi-started, went to 1000rpm i'd say (i idle at 1400) and then just slowly died as the car stopped moving,... but it gave some sort of output so i know combustion was going on.. no throttle response though, ... instead of halting right there when i popped the clutch, it just kinda coasted down hill as it died exhaust sounded so something was going on inside .... so now i dunno if its spark now? Maybe it was the fuel pump , maybe the injectors? Whatever it is, its wierd... it can even be the ECU now. Anyone know of any diagnostic tools or software for the FIP ecu(www.fuelinjectionpro.com - based off of megasquirt 2.24)? Thanks

RandomGuy
07-06-2007, 02:12 AM
[/crickets].........

1civic
07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
You need to fix that Starter....lol... That makes it a Pain in the ass... Its almost like your Ignition is messed up... No Spark/No Fuel... I had a Civic lose Both and it was the Ignition switch... Make sure you got 12v at the Pump, Or Power the Pump to see if it works, Then try to jump start it... If it don't run then you got no Spark.... :goodjob: .. If you got a Fuel Pressure gauge then you can check the pump.. But if you are without anything, Just pull the damn fuel rail to see.. Be sure you got some help so fuel isn't spraying everywhere...lol..:yes:..

RandomGuy
07-06-2007, 05:46 PM
You need to fix that Starter....lol... That makes it a Pain in the ass... Its almost like your Ignition is messed up... No Spark/No Fuel... I had a Civic lose Both and it was the Ignition switch... Make sure you got 12v at the Pump, Or Power the Pump to see if it works, Then try to jump start it... If it don't run then you got no Spark.... :goodjob: .. If you got a Fuel Pressure gauge then you can check the pump.. But if you are without anything, Just pull the damn fuel rail to see.. Be sure you got some help so fuel isn't spraying everywhere...lol..:yes:..
not necessarily

I hardwired 12v to the pump, unhooked the return line got a LOT of pressure, squirted into a coke bottle lol...

even if the pump is good, and I'm getting spark, if the ecu isn't sending pulses to the injectors or the injectors are bad, i'm still not getting fuel... I think its the ECU

IDriveToast
07-06-2007, 09:55 PM
1) Remove spark plug wires from Distributor
2) Remove Distributor from motor while still plugged in
3) Turn ignition to on (if fuel pump turns on, continue..if not, fix fuel pump)
4) Manually turn distributor and listen for the inkectors to click.

The Distributor controls the firing of the injectors. You should be able to physically hear them click one by one if they are good. If they dont click, double check your distributor wiring with the MSD or It could be bad/clogged injectors.

You can remove an injector and run power straight to it to see if its bad also.

Echonova
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Could be the injectors. The fuel running through the injectors acts as the coolant, when they run dry they will overheat and be FUBAR'ed very quickly. It could be the MSD box, but I wouldn't consider that your only problem are just yet.......