PDA

View Full Version : types of motorcycles

DieselNuts
07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I've toyed with the idea of getting a motorcycle for quite some time now. There are so many dif. bikes out there that I like but as far as street bikes go, Ive only ridden a GSXR750. I like that bike a lot and I think any of the 600s would be too small (not too slow, but too small. Im 6ft 260ish). Ive thought about some of the liter bikes, but thats a whole lotta bike. I like the v-twin bikes too (duc, rc51...). I'm not looking to race the bike. I would be using it mostly around town and going to the mountains. Recently, I have started looking at Buells. I like them because they make lots of tq and have such a unique look to them.

What is everyones opinion on the different types of streetbikes out there

BTW, cruisers are out of the question. Im only interested in sportbikes.

also, I dont want to hear the "dont get a sportbike as your first bike" speach. Ive been riding motorcycles since I was 12 and I know how to ride and I respect the power of all bikes.

OneSlow5pt0
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
lol,get a ZX-14R:goodjob:

but for a lighter bike id get a ZX-6R

Princess12
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
If you have any questions about Kawasaki... let me know. I work for a Kawi dealership.

slow_hatch
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The bigger cc bikes(i.e. 600cc vs 1000cc) don't haveany more space. Just the motor is bigger, the riding positions don't really change. They change from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've riden all different types of bike, and for street riding i prefer a twin. But with the power levels the new 600s are making the really isnt any need for a I4 1000cc.

sullen
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
from my experience, buells are not good. do not buy a buell. they are not reliable. only prob i have with the duc is no rear brakes. love the dry clutch sound though. so bad ass. duc makes alot of low end torque, lots more than the japanese stuff. im not sure if the rc51 is a 4 cyl still or v twin tho. the duc sounds so much different because of the layout of the engine. its a 90 degree L twin. the valve system for ducs is called desmodromico. basically, its ducati's own unique way of eliminating valve float. 1 more downside t ducs, they are expensive for maintanence. the only way we get cheap stuff for the ducs is because we know the owners of the Duc Shop. we do machining work for them and they trade us off with parts for our ducs. good business i suppose. now onto the japanese bikes. they are a mid-high range bike. no low end torque, but lots of high end. going thru a turn with those crotch rockets it a little different than the ducs. while the ducs do not require alot of throttle to maintain power to the wheel, japanese bikes do. not so bad once you get used to them. japanese bikes do however have 1 of the strongest points for sale, they are much cheaper both in initial price and in maintanence. for the money you'll fork over, jap bikes all the way man. i prefer the gsxr 750-1000. as well as the CBR 1000RR. 600 cc bikes are still adjustable height wise, and still plenty lethal. as a matter of fact, the new 600 cc bikes STOCK are running the same times as the WORKS BIKES IN MOTOGP 1000 cc from 2 years ago. that means out of the box, these new 600cc bikes are just as fast as the real racing bikes from 2 years ago. dont think they're underpowered. when it comes dow to it, 600's are much better for city riding, 750 is the best of both worlds, and 1000 is more or less straightline. a gsxr 750 is almost perfect for all applications. it is not underpowered, and not overpowered. a 600 will always beat a 1000 in the turns, as well as a 750. but the 750 will beat the 600 in the straight, 1000 will beat a 750. i do not recomend kaw bike because of the engine setup. the zx bikes are no top end, no bottom end. they fall off the powerband at 14k rpm. they will pull however to somewhere around 18k rpms. the find power at about 8.5k rpms. just not a good engine design. sorry for you zx lovers, but you know its true. also, the kaw bikes have reliability issues. im not sure exactly what goes wrong, but i know alot of people who own them and decde to get rid of them because of too much maintanence. most of those guys opted for the hondas though. there is a myth about honda gearboxes being garbage, slap whoever tells you that. its completely wrong. these bikes are all WONDERFUL gearbox setups. do not mess with them at all. go for a gsxr 750 man. i promise you'll fall in love with it the first day. just watch out for the speed. these bikes will all do somewhere around 75-80 mph in 1st gear. plenty enough to get ALOT of tickets...

sullen
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
100 % right slow.

sullen
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
now, how long till QD calls me out on that?

slow_hatch
07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Also, are you looking to buy a NEW bike or older used bike??

DieselNuts
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks sullen. Ive actually been a life long fan of Kawi's but ive never ridden their crotchrocket, so I cant say much there. I do know that their dirtbikes kick ass, but thats a different topic for a different thread.

As far as new or used, my buddy that has the gixxer 750 treated it like dog shit. The day he rode it off the showroom floor, he was redlining it left and right. Another friend of mine just got a zx10 on May 22 and is already on his 3rd rear tire. That being said, I dont want to buy someone else's POS. BUT, I know with it being my first street bike, its not a question of "if I drop it" but, "when I drop it". I would be much less pissed off if I dropped a used bike that I paid half of what a new one would cost. So, Im kind of on the fence of new or used. I guess as long as its a nice, well taken care of used bike, then I would do it, but if the right deal came up on a new one, I wouldn't rule that route out.

As far as the Buell's go, I really havent read anything bad about them, but I havent done much research yet. I was checking out a Buell forum earlier and everyone was saying that they wouldnt own anything else....but then again, I would get the same response from honda owners on a honda forum and from and that slitting your wrist feels great from an emo forum. The kicker for the Buell to me is, they just look so fucking bad ass. Check this one out...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/diggler24/cars/buell.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/diggler24/cars/buell2.jpg

Its got that streetfighter style to it and it just looks tough as fuck.

P.S. the rc51 is a 1000cc v-twin.

slow_hatch
07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I ride an RC51, so i'm partial to Vtwins. But, the Buell does have very unique styling and a great sound, but it is still basically a Harley. Expect to have your entire body vibrated, along with the maintence of a Harley.

Spectic Tank
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Triumph Daytona 675:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/675_083wc.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/675_007w.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/KT9F0560w.jpg

675cc's should have enough tourque to keep you happy, and I've read that they're pretty decent on the track as well.
and they look badass...

Extrememustang
07-06-2007, 09:19 PM
When the 04 r1s came out they lowered the pegs and widen the stance for taller riders.

Driftk1d350z
07-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Triumph Daytona 675:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/675_083wc.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/675_007w.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Specvee/KT9F0560w.jpg

675cc's should have enough tourque to keep you happy, and I've read that they're pretty decent on the track as well.
and they look badass...

those bikes are pretty bad ass, they beat out the honda, suzuki, yamaha, and kawasaki 600s in a superbike shootout. and they sound absolutly amazing

Dracc
07-07-2007, 02:43 AM
GSXR 750 or a R1 or a busa if you got the balls lol

wes_297
07-07-2007, 03:07 AM
i think buells are graet, but i do own one. i love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything. very fun. the gsxr750 is also a good bike. just didnt have enough torque for me.

Dracc
07-07-2007, 03:10 AM
my dad owns a busa but its just to much for me.. and frankly i'm scared of da damn thing lol

Maniac=Bitch
07-07-2007, 05:50 AM
if you got the money get a busa and jump the grand canyon in that bitch

DieselNuts
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Im not a fan of the busa at all. i think the front looks like a giant penis... They are incredible in a straight line, but thats not all im looking for.

That Triumph is teh secks. Ive been told that they sound incredible, but I have yet to hear or even see one in person. I cant imagine how that 3cyl sounds :goodjob:

i think buells are graet, but i do own one. i love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything. very fun.
how is the maintenence on the buell? I figure its pretty shitty seeing as how its a harley. Any input?

WickedIXMR
07-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Im not a fan of the busa at all. i think the front looks like a giant penis... They are incredible in a straight line, but thats not all im looking for.

That Triumph is teh secks. Ive been told that they sound incredible, but I have yet to hear or even see one in person. I cant imagine how that 3cyl sounds :goodjob:

how is the maintenence on the buell? I figure its pretty shitty seeing as how its a harley. Any input?
LOL@ the busa. I hate busa's too. From my experience i would just go get a used liter bike. I ridin dirts bike since i was 13 and hopped on a r6 feel like its slow ass balls. Im 6'00 230 pounds and if your fuckin 260 i would deff get a liter bike (since you dont sound stupid enough to just get on it and just go WOT) and just learn from there

BKgen®
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/diggler24/cars/buell.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/diggler24/cars/buell2.jpg

that shit is soooo sexy.

Spectic Tank
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Used R1...I know of one that has some front end damage. It's in the impound right now...we could go get it out:ninja:

DieselNuts
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
LOL@ the busa. I hate busa's too. From my experience i would just go get a used liter bike. I ridin dirts bike since i was 13 and hopped on a r6 feel like its slow ass balls. Im 6'00 230 pounds and if your fuckin 260 i would deff get a liter bike (since you dont sound stupid enough to just get on it and just go WOT) and just learn from there

Thanks, Im def. not like that douche bag on pinks. Im not gonna ask someone if a gixxer 1k is fast....only a fucking retard wouldnt know that answer....then jump on it, rev the shit out of it and dump the clutch on a street with loose dirt on it....god I loved that episode. But yeah, I was kinda thinking about doing the liter bike thing and just taking it slow.

that shit is soooo sexy.

no doubt. It just looks wicked. Did you notice the gas mask he fit around the headlights?

Used R1...I know of one that has some front end damage. It's in the impound right now...we could go get it out:ninja:

Pinky, are you thinking what Im thinking?

Spectic Tank
07-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Pinky, are you thinking what Im thinking?

I think so, Brain *NARF*, but don't camels spit a lot?