PDA

View Full Version : 300zx problem

PawnShopCEO
06-30-2007, 09:14 PM
ok guys. This is my first z car (other than my g35 if that counts). I bought it two weeks ago and the temp gauge was not working AT ALL. so the first thing i did was buy a new sending unit.. that didnt fix it.. i noticed that the plug was all fubar so i cut it and put on one of those speaker wire connector things so i knew it got a good connection... STILL no luck.. So i figured it was the GAUGE cluster.. I go and buy another one from a local Z guy.. put it in.. NO LUCK. I cant figure out whats goin on. I took some speaker wire and ran it DIRECTLY from the sensor TO the gauge cluster.. STILL NOTHING. I am assuming this is a GROUNDED signal that it sends to the cluster.. so just for shits and giggles i ran the wire from the NEGATIVE battery terminal straight to where the wire goes into the gauge. NOTHING what am i doing wrong here... I wouldnt think there is a fuse that could be blown and that be the reason since its a grounded signal. although i COULDNT check my fuses in-cab cause a previous owner pulled the cover and didnt put it back

Z U L8R
07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
z32 harnesses get very brittle overtime, that is probably why you ran the wire straight to the guage cluster...but are you positive you ran it to the right wire? just double check, i've seen 3 colors of nissan temp wires, blue/black stripe, yellow, or yellow/white stripe. for your Z should be blue/black. but anywho you could just do that with an autometer.

it's too frickin hott outside for it to read cold for a long ass time, or i'd inquire if the car had a thermostat in it. anywho, didn't see any replies, figured i'd add my .02
good luck
Dave

sullen
07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
where in kennessaw are you at? i might could come out and take a look for you. im pretty good with the wiring part. besides, all you need for the wiring is a voltometer. that makes everything simple.