PDA

View Full Version : How to make a JDM EF the easy or hard way.

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm making this thread to inform my fellow squad members (and others) how to make their USDM 88-91 Civic hatchback or CRX (and later sedans) into a true LHD copy of an EF. There are two ways, one way is expensive (getting parts imported), and there's another cheaper way (using oem parts off of certain years). I will break each way down so you can be informed if you want to go the JDM route.

ED CRX -> EF CR-X write-up

-The Hard Way aka the SiR look
This is the route I took. The best starting point is the 88 CRX. Why? Because it's the closest CRX to the JDM CR-X. It has pillar mounted seat belts (like the JDM EFs), the seat brackets are the same as the JDM EFs, and last it has the same rear lcas as the JDM EFs.

Exterior
-You will need the facelift frontend (which is the 89-92 EF8 or 90-92 EF6/7 frontend). This consist of a hood, headlights (with corners), EF sidemarkers, and bumper (w/ bumper support and bumper lights). That's it! You do not need fenders (unless you dont want to cut out the sidemarker hole), or the t-bar (radiator support),

- (this not for the 90/91 crx owners)
If you are an 88/89 you will need a 90/91 rear bumper (or 89-92 JDM bumper if you want the light weight support) and 90-91 body molding. The molding on your 88/89 rear bumper and body is thick while the molding on your JDM frontend is thin. It doesnt match up and looks horrible (not really but I'm picky)

- You will need 90-92 JDM taillights (this gets you wrap around amber corners).

-Optional is the EF8 wing (my current wing). If you have a rear wiper, then you will need a SiR or DA (integra) rear wiper.

-Optional is doing a rear disc conversion and if you want to be true JDM you will need to swap your lcas to 88 CRX's or Type R's (This also means you got to get new struts in the rear. Got to be a balla to be true JDM)

-Optional is also a glassroof. One of the squad members is in the process of doing this :bump: , so there will be a write up soon on this (hopefully)

Do all of this and your car looks like mine :goodjob: Also, all the parts bolt on :bannana: . The only problem is the latch for the hood and all you need is a dremal, time and your done!

Interior
Coming soon......

Motor
You can't have the SiR look without atleast a dohc vtec motor............

The Easy Way aka 88-89 EF6/7 look

Exterior
Once again the best car to start with is the 88 (or 89 in this case). Why because this car looks just like the 88-89 JDM Si and 1.5x. The only differences are the motors (ZC and carb), interior, hood, and bumper support.

-this is for 90/91 owners
You will need 88/89 bumper (with bumper lights and Si lip), 88/89 headlights (with "clear" corners) or JDM ZC headlights, a JDM ZC hood (with the hump), and last 88/89 molding. 88/89 people you will only need the ZC hood, clear corners, and a Si lip, tehn bam your JDM baby.

-Taillights -- There are two options, get a clean set of 88/89 taillights or JDM 88/89 taillights. It really depends how JDM you're trying to be.

-Optional is a EF7 wing. This wing is bad ass!!! It look similar to mines, but has a long led light on it. This wing is also rare so good luck finding one! Rather than buying this wing, you can get a UKDM 16v wing (aka the lip wing). This wing is pretty rare, but they are on ebay every once in while. I have one of these wings (and nope it's not for sell :tongue1: ).

Interior
Coming soon.......

Motor
If your staying true to your look you have two option, keeping your sohc (making sure it's mpfi) or swaping in a ZC. With a sohc your be more like the EF6 aka 1.5x while the with a ZC swap your be more like a EF7 aka JDM Si.

ED Civic Hatch -> EF Civic Hatch write-up

To be cont'd.....

mocha latte cupcake
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
points for you to on helping people in their jdm quest

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Damn just doing the CRX exterior part took alot out of me!

uproot
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
good info :goodjob:, we should do a lot of EF write ups... i think im gonna help alan/take photos of his EK side skirt install, that should be a useful write up! :goodjob:

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
good info :goodjob:, we should do a lot of EF write ups... i think im gonna help alan/take photos of his EK side skirt install, that should be a useful write up! :goodjob:

:goodjob: I'm going to add pics later cuz I cant host at work :gay:

Papa_Smurf
06-28-2007, 01:22 PM
oh yea, and dare, ik how to make your rear seats look JDM tyte from from the outside...

You just find yourself another set of head rests, and either cut holes in the rear seats and stick the head rests in, or just wedge the head rests in between the back of the rear seat, and the cargo cover.

lol i thought thats was a neat little trick. I'm going try try that when i get a new set of seats here soon.

Papa_Smurf
06-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Yea, i'm lookign forward to doing that, we just gotta find sum time. I work in the evenings, and when you start that new job you're gong to be working in the mornings most of the time, right?

grrr, oh well. When the girl friend leaves for college here in a month then i'll have all the time to work on my hatch during the week :yes:

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 01:25 PM
oh yea, and dare, ik how to make your rear seats look JDM tyte from from the outside...

You just find yourself another set of head rests, and either cut holes in the rear seats and stick the head rests in, or just wedge the head rests in between the back of the rear seat, and the cargo cover.

lol i thought thats was a neat little trick. I'm going try try that when i get a new set of seats here soon.

Cool, I'll put that in the easy section :goodjob:

Papa_Smurf
06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Cool, I'll put that in the easy section :goodjob:

lol it can be difficult, or it can be easy. I think if i'm going to do it, then i'm going to try to make it functional, aka move up and down just like the head rests on the fronts. :D

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 01:28 PM
lol it can be difficult, or it can be easy. I think if i'm going to do it, then i'm going to try to make it functional, aka move up and down just like the head rests on the fronts. :D

Didnt mean it like that.

Hard way= Buying mostly jdm parts
Easy way= Using OEM parts from other models

Papa_Smurf
06-28-2007, 01:31 PM
oh, yea i see now. lol

I defiantly like the whole write up idea.

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM
IF anyone has something they want to add LMK!!!

thepolecat
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
cant wait to see the pics. I am a an EF fan (though I drive an EG and it is so near and dear to my heart)

Black R
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
what about us hatchbacks? i have a 91, and now i'm confuz0rd.....

bigdare23
06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
what about us hatchbacks? i have a 91, and now i'm confuz0rd.....

Its coming soon!!! The first part (which isnt done yet) is for the CRX guys. It's on the way for you hatch guys..... :goodjob:

StraightSix
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Good info, Dare!

Halfwit
06-28-2007, 07:06 PM
jdm LIFE