PDA

View Full Version : Wonder how the Pontiac Solstice holds to rollover???

Doppelgänger
06-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Not well. And thats not a high speed rollover. Happened on The Dragon, and any of you who have been there know speeds are NOT that high on that road.

The A-pillar of ANY convertable shouldn't be able to drop like that. Hell, when i rolled my Miata 3 times it wasn't even that bad!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/s.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/ss.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/ssss.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/sss.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/s1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/LEVNUBHIN/Misc/s2.jpg

2.0civic
06-28-2007, 09:22 AM
damn..looks deadly...thats funny how the back thing held up better than that. How fast do you think they were going?

EM1toEVO
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Sucks to he him.

Kamikaze
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Damn. I'll be scratching that option off my list unless they fix that problem for the next model year.

MachNU
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
yep thats going to cause a lawsuit against pontiac!

OneSlow5pt0
06-28-2007, 11:38 AM
owned

IndianStig
06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
ponti-owned. how was the driver and passenger?

thepolecat
06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
^ my question too

Doppelgänger
06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Driver had her arm trapped between the headrest and the ground. After getting a few people to lift the car up she crawled out with only bumps and bruises.....surprisingly.

thepolecat
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM
hahahahah--SHE-- hahahahahahaha

keeganxt
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
From what i know about miata's and other convertibles, that's why you put in a roll bar...because the windshield and a-pillar will NEVER be able to hold up the weight of the vehicle. Looks like the rest of the vehicle held up the way it was supposed to and protected the passengers...

And a miata's weight is a good bit less than than a solstice...I've always run a roll bar in my miata though, you never know.

OneSlow5pt0
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
From what i know about miata's and other convertibles, that's why you put in a roll bar...because the windshield and a-pillar will NEVER be able to hold up the weight of the vehicle. Looks like the rest of the vehicle held up the way it was supposed to and protected the passengers...

iv never seen a one of these or sky with a roll bar..iv seen Z3,Z4,Miatas and S2000s...y dont they put them on here

keeganxt
06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
i meant after market...I had one put in. I believe bmw and z's have some kind of headrest support incase of rollover. but the miata never has and they have all sorts of roll bar options aftermarket because of that.

OneSlow5pt0
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
i meant after market...I had one put in. I believe bmw and z's have some kind of headrest support incase of rollover. but the miata never has and they have all sorts of roll bar options aftermarket because of that.

yea,im talking bout aftermaket...yea,Zs come with those double hump bars..i mean iv never seem a GM roadster with anykind of roll bar

keeganxt
06-28-2007, 01:08 PM
well it seems the car held up well, the occupants survived with little injury. I would say they're lucky, but also the rear deck of the car is very high and the headrests of the seats do exceed to height of an occupants head.

I don't think they make a roll bar for the solstic, not sure though. most race with hard tops installed. and it's always safer to have the top up during that sort of thing, so arms don't get cut off etc.

My main point is, don't criticize the a-pillar for collapsing, it's not meant to hold up the vehicle in a wreck.

Crash tests of convertibles are similar to regular cars, front impact, side impact, etc. And the rollover test is simply the resistance to rolling over and/or tipping, not actually dropping a car on its roof to see what happens. I think all convertible cars a-pillars would either collapse or lose their integrity in some way in the same situation as the above solstice.

Dietcoke
06-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Nobody makes a roll-bar yet. The solstice and sky have 5 star rollover ratings... I dont think any car that rolled and slid in the manner that solstice did would have fared any beter. It didnt roll sideways, it rolled over and slid on its top. The windshield frame cant support that kind of weight, and is designed to crumple in such a way that it would never contact the passengers of the car. It folded flat behind the steering wheel while the airbag pinned the driver safely into the seat, as intended.

Elbow
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Ouch, glad she was ok

sullen
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
stupid women. in a car on the dragon, its maybe tops of like 45-50 mph coming out of turns. on bikes, i've kept 65mph min. i like getting the picture taken at the diner though. but in all honesty, the dragon is just TOO damn many turns. you get tired of braking. and on a bike, you get soar from shimmying from cheek to cheek. theres one thats not too far from there, i don't think its got a name, but its getting big too. i think its just NW of the Dragon. i got the magnet that i like too btw. "At the gap, There Be Dragons". in conclusion, that chick is ok, her hubby or daddy will buy her a new BMW of something.

Bballjamal
06-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Lol! The rear deck is higher than the drivers head in most cases! Not the same in other verts...

So, no, no suit over that....

I'd still get a basic cage made for it anyhow!

koukis14
06-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Even VW Beetles have pop up roll bars the spring out it the event of a roll over.

keeganxt
06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
but also the rear deck of the car is very high and the headrests of the seats do exceed to height of an occupants head.

Yes this isn't the case with all convertibles, expecially the miata. DANGEROUS CAR.

speedminded
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
somebody got a mouth full of dirt :tongue:

green91
06-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I dont see how you could expect it to hold up any better, no convertible's windshield is designed to bear the load of the entire car! and mike your miata had a roll bar so thats not a good comparison

Kevykev
07-01-2007, 10:59 AM
damn..looks deadly...thats funny how the back thing held up better than that. How fast do you think they were going?

Judging from the sequential pic layout, it wasn't even raining/drizzling when the mishap occured.

They probably were just going to fast for the turn and over/understeered into the embankment and flipped by hitting uneven, non-asphalt surfaces.

Julio
07-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Judging from the sequential pic layout, it wasn't even raining/drizzling when the mishap occured.

They probably were just going to fast for the turn and over/understeered into the embankment and flipped by hitting uneven, non-asphalt surfaces.

read again.. female driver :lmfao:

Kevykev
07-01-2007, 02:00 PM
read again.. female driver :lmfao:

LOELL!

I love it when people customize there plates to the name of there car

"1ntegra" Onetegra

SOLST1CE

SolstONEce???? Hell is that??? oh I get it "Stole something once"

oh ok!

:lmfao: