PDA

View Full Version : Street racers’ souped-up cars crushed

rolling_trip
06-23-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

I kind of find it a bit humorous

Crazy Asian
06-23-2007, 02:30 PM
FUCK REPOST TO THE MAX MAN!!! STOP POSTING THIS SHIT!!!

KevinT707
06-23-2007, 02:35 PM
OUCH

caseyT
06-23-2007, 02:40 PM
reposted for 3rd or so time

ep9716
06-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Lulz

DRFTR
06-23-2007, 03:31 PM
EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THE STUPID ASSES IN CALIFORNIA GETTING THEIR CARS CRUSHED...WHO GIVES A FUCK!!!!
-dave

BKgen®
06-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I wish those were some of the civics here in Gainesville...

Kamikaze
06-23-2007, 03:34 PM
LOL @ "souped-up"

Haven't heard that since '99. :lmao:

DRFTR
06-23-2007, 03:35 PM
I wish those were some of the civics here in Gainesville...

:lmfao: :lmfao:

and most of imports in Douglasville in general
-dave

rolling_trip
06-23-2007, 03:38 PM
lol, shit. I actually called myself looking. someone can lock or delete away

Total_Blender
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
This whole "2 fast 2 furious" yay-wa-wa street racing trend will go away when insurance premiums rise to the point where people can no longer pay them. Thats what killed the muscle cars if the 1970's. Manufacturers will see that their cars aren't selling because for some reason their cars are classed in the "high risk" insurance bracket, so they will de-tune or stop producing their performance cars.

Our Volkswagen group recently held an event at Road Atlanta that had a track day. It cost $300+ to participate, and thats about the rate you'll pay per event to run NASA and SCCA as well. After you build your car to their rules. Few from our group participated in the track day, but there are always a few people cutting lose at other "unsanctioned" events.

I don't know about the Auto-X at Turner Field, the Fairgrounds, or the drags at Commerce. I'm sure there are costs and entry fees and stipulations (helmets required, etc). I think I read that the drags at Commerce were $20 to run. Its an expensive hobby, to run your car legally. And thats why people take to the streets. For two reasons:

1.) its free (untill you get busted, that is)
2.) you get instant gratification (no waiting in line)

So I don't think law enforcement could ever stop street racing, and if we they too hard it would make life a little less enjoyable for those of us who enjoy the automotive hobby within the limitations of the law. For those of you who do do street race, for the love of God don't be so stupid that you endanger others when you do.:gay:

I think in the case of the cars being crushed, the street racers in the MSNBC article were being pretty dumb (street racing near tract homes = high population density residential area). For those of you who don't believe that those kids were being stupid, Look up Pomona, Glendale, or Riverside on google maps and look how residential they are on the satellite view. Not to mention there are legal racing facilities in that area. : :thumbdown:

ep9716
06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
^^ No One Is Gonna Read All That.......

VooDooXII
06-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I just did.

quickdodge®
06-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Too bad the drivers weren't still in the cars when they were crushed. Later, QD.

IndianStig
06-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I see a good 94-01 integra hatch spoiler to part out, lol.

ultm8mind
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
How can "car lovers" actually find this amusing and back it???? Regardless if you don't believe in street racing, how can you actually applaud this? I think that is bs.

Kamikaze
06-23-2007, 06:32 PM
How can "car lovers" actually find this amusing and back it???? Regardless if you don't believe in street racing, how can you actually applaud this? I think that is bs.

It's not about the cars, it's about the idiots that were driving them. If one of these "street-racers" were to hit someone near and dear to you, I'd bet you'd be in full support of the state of California's actions.

Total_Blender
06-23-2007, 06:43 PM

I love my cars. But those Hondas and Acuras can go to the crusher :lmfao:

Seriously though, I think the judge in question just wanted to make examples out of those guys and their cars. In Cartersville they take vehicles seized from drug dealers and turn them into "DARE vehicles". Like an '89 Mercury Cougar painted black with some "DARE" vinyl graphics is really gonna keep kids off of drugs. :police:

I think vehicles seized from street racers should be handled just like those of other violators. They should be impounded, and then auctioned. However, selling street racers cars off at auction would be beneficial to other street racers because they could buy "souped up" cars directly from the cops who should be busting them.:ninja:

quickdodge®
06-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Stupid much? So, by your "standards," I should applaud the "street racer" if they wreck their car into another car with people inside that awant to live and kill them? I should be mad because the LAPD took away someone's "toy" because that someone is too ignorant and stupid to play by the rules? I don't think you're full of shit. I know it. You are the "ultm8" dumbass. Later, QD.

ultm8mind
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
One of them admits to being involved in street racing but got pulled over for having a burnt out tail light. The law is very broad and vague in my opinion. The guy did have a "supposed" stolen engine, but how are we actually to know what is and is not legit? Most of the engines come out of Japan and the numbers are rather confusing. I do not endorse street racing, but come on, this law is out of control. What is next? QD you like to diss everyone, due to the layer of protection you have by knowing everyone on here, I don't play games, sorry you are not amusing to me.....

quickdodge®
06-23-2007, 07:10 PM
QD you like to diss everyone, due to the layer of protection you have by knowing everyone on here,

My "layer of protection" does not come from my knowing people on here. It comes from my intellect and common sense.

I don't play games, sorry you are not amusing to me.....

I wasn't playing games, either. I wasn't trying to be amusing. I meant what I said. And as long as you "back up" "street racing," I'll continue to mean it. Later, QD.

ultm8mind
06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Who backed up street racing? Some of the people that have had their vehicles crushed were doing no more than driving down the street. I have been harassed before, I know how it is. I also used to street race (younger days) before they made it more accessible to race on a track. I do not race anymore, period, I am smarter now, LOL, and appreciate life more. I like to have nice/fast cars though and I get my share of nonsense because they think I race still, but that's not me and I said I do not endorse it. I just was stating the law also has gotten people who were not racing or had anything to do with it. The article is just highlighting the people who do street race. I saw this on the news, they are also impounding and crushing vehicles "suspected" of street racing. That is what I find to be messed up. But that's just me from out here in Afghanistan.......

quickdodge®
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Who backed up street racing?

The quote below will answer that for you.

Regardless if you don't believe in street racing, how can you actually applaud this?

Of course you've been harassed. Who hasn't. Every single time someone gets pulled over, it's never that person's fault. It's always the cops fault. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. And I don't give a goddamn where you are. Just because you're in the service doesn't mean I have to respect your opinions or views. I won't back off just because you're in Afghanistan. Later, QD.

WWJDrift
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont agree with crushing the cars at all, why not just sell them at an auction..Its a waste of a vehicle that someone underprivileged that needs a car to drive to and from work, fuck the kids who are racing its their fault but damn man thats phuked up

Lucky DAWG
06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
This whole "2 fast 2 furious" yay-wa-wa street racing trend will go away when insurance premiums rise to the point where people can no longer pay them. Thats what killed the muscle cars if the 1970's. Manufacturers will see that their cars aren't selling because for some reason their cars are classed in the "high risk" insurance bracket, so they will de-tune or stop producing their performance cars.

Our Volkswagen group recently held an event at Road Atlanta that had a track day. It cost $300+ to participate, and thats about the rate you'll pay per event to run NASA and SCCA as well. After you build your car to their rules. Few from our group participated in the track day, but there are always a few people cutting lose at other "unsanctioned" events.

I don't know about the Auto-X at Turner Field, the Fairgrounds, or the drags at Commerce. I'm sure there are costs and entry fees and stipulations (helmets required, etc). I think I read that the drags at Commerce were $20 to run. Its an expensive hobby, to run your car legally. And thats why people take to the streets. For two reasons:

1.) its free (untill you get busted, that is)
2.) you get instant gratification (no waiting in line)

So I don't think law enforcement could ever stop street racing, and if we they too hard it would make life a little less enjoyable for those of us who enjoy the automotive hobby within the limitations of the law. For those of you who do do street race, for the love of God don't be so stupid that you endanger others when you do.:gay:

I think in the case of the cars being crushed, the street racers in the MSNBC article were being pretty dumb (street racing near tract homes = high population density residential area). For those of you who don't believe that those kids were being stupid, Look up Pomona, Glendale, or Riverside on google maps and look how residential they are on the satellite view. Not to mention there are legal racing facilities in that area. : :thumbdown:

ya that all sounded really pretty.

but until there are no more rich white middle aged insecure men who want to go out and blow their wad on a stock out of the box powerhouse performance car, companies will stop making it.

and trust me, there are a lot of people in that demographic...

Total_Blender
06-24-2007, 07:42 AM
ya that all sounded really pretty.
but until there are no more rich white middle aged insecure men who want to go out and blow their wad on a stock out of the box powerhouse performance car, companies will stop making it.
and trust me, there are a lot of people in that demographic...

In the '70's when the mucele cars died off there were still sporty cars. They were priced so high that young people couldn't buy them. The thing about the muscle cars is not that they were really faster than sports cars, its that they were accessibile to young people. The formula was big HP engine in cheap compact body :goodjob:

What will happen is that the SRT-4's, EVOs, and STI's and any other "suprecar" less than 30 grand will get axed by the manufacturers. The "street racing" demographic adds 1 thing to the "out of the box powerhouse" that you speak of: cheap. There will still be Vipers, GT40's, 911's, Z06's etc. Because those cars will allow the "middle aged white men" who can afford them to get their speed. And those who can afford those cars are usually not the types who get caught street racing.

As for the reason why the cars were crushed, this is California we are talking about. They have stricter emissions laws than the rest of the country, and some of those laws forbid engine swaps. Anything suspicious like engines that didn't come in the car from the factory, filed off serial numbers, missing emissions equipment, etc is illegal.

And it wouldn't make sense to sell street racing cars off at auction. Because other street racers could buy modified cars from the police who are supposed to be busting them. And since these vehicles are illegally modified that makes them contraband. The police don't sell the drugs they seize at auction, they destroy that stuff to keep it off the streets.

Lucky DAWG
06-24-2007, 12:57 PM
In the '70's when the mucele cars died off there were still sporty cars. They were priced so high that young people couldn't buy them. The thing about the muscle cars is not that they were really faster than sports cars, its that they were accessibile to young people. The formula was big HP engine in cheap compact body :goodjob:

What will happen is that the SRT-4's, EVOs, and STI's and any other "suprecar" less than 30 grand will get axed by the manufacturers. The "street racing" demographic adds 1 thing to the "out of the box powerhouse" that you speak of: cheap. There will still be Vipers, GT40's, 911's, Z06's etc. Because those cars will allow the "middle aged white men" who can afford them to get their speed. And those who can afford those cars are usually not the types who get caught street racing.

As for the reason why the cars were crushed, this is California we are talking about. They have stricter emissions laws than the rest of the country, and some of those laws forbid engine swaps. Anything suspicious like engines that didn't come in the car from the factory, filed off serial numbers, missing emissions equipment, etc is illegal.

And it wouldn't make sense to sell street racing cars off at auction. Because other street racers could buy modified cars from the police who are supposed to be busting them. And since these vehicles are illegally modified that makes them contraband. The police don't sell the drugs they seize at auction, they destroy that stuff to keep it off the streets.

good post +1