PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Coolant issues

james
06-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Before starting, the car is a 2000 VW GTI

so the other day my coolant light comes on. it says to STOP and the coolant light came on. THere was no coolant in the reservoir, so i added some. This morning, it all leaked out on my driveway. But I noticed that dumbass ME, I didnt put the cap back on the reservoir last night after adding the shit. Is that why it leaked out? But the bigger question is now, that my temp gauge doesn't rise at all. The engine isn't steaming, its not OVERHEATING, its just not heating up at all according to the gauge, and its leaking coolant. Its a slow drip-style leak out the bottom of the car.

Someone said it may be the head gasket. Not good news. but anyone else think it may be something else? Is this most certainly a dealer fix?

james

2.0civic
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
air in the system somewhere...maybe headgasket...try bleeding the system then go rent a pressure tester....

Slow Motion
06-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Im having a similar problem except i have changed the top radiator hose and the thermostat.....but it still is leaking coolant. I know that my radiator fan isn't runnig and i don't know y i took it to the shop but they couldn't even figure out what it was. Trying to avoid the dealer.

QX56tech
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Could be a water pump. Need to pressure test the system

koukis14
06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Could be a water pump. Need to pressure test the system

x2 the impellers on VW water pumps are plastic composit. I have sen them go at 40k miles before. I am praying to god right now you are not putting green or red GM style coolant in that thing.

koukis14
06-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Bring it into my dealership, I will tell you what is wrong for $103.

QX56tech
06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
What was the fix?

koukis14
06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
What was the fix?

X2

james
06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
uhhhh no fix. still sitting in my driveway.

james
06-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Turned out it was the water pump. that could have been costly. thanks for the help fellas

sullen
06-29-2007, 12:42 AM
this is not most certainly a "take out half of your life" loan at the dealer. just take the bumper off, the fairing underneath, and look at the motor. look for the wet spot(like on your girlfriend) and follow it to the leak. a little bit of looking around could save you a nice hefty grand. if its the head gasket, you'd have white smoke out the exhaust. so n white smoke, no HG. and HG won't leak like that. look for a hose or something. and don't run the engine with no coolant, or for you it will most certainly be a kill yourself or build a new motor to swap in sort of deal. no coolant = overheated engine. no coolant also = dead coolant temp guage. coolant must be in contact with the thermomter so to speak on the sensor for it to read a temp. just start checking things out and fix it yourself.

Before starting, the car is a 2000 VW GTI

so the other day my coolant light comes on. it says to STOP and the coolant light came on. THere was no coolant in the reservoir, so i added some. This morning, it all leaked out on my driveway. But I noticed that dumbass ME, I didnt put the cap back on the reservoir last night after adding the shit. Is that why it leaked out? But the bigger question is now, that my temp gauge doesn't rise at all. The engine isn't steaming, its not OVERHEATING, its just not heating up at all according to the gauge, and its leaking coolant. Its a slow drip-style leak out the bottom of the car.

Someone said it may be the head gasket. Not good news. but anyone else think it may be something else? Is this most certainly a dealer fix?

james

iEvo
07-01-2007, 10:14 AM
well if it was a headgasket it wouldnt make the gauge not read. i was going to say that ur thermostat was stuck open which would cause ur car to take a lil longer to get to normal operating temp but the gauge would still give some sort of reading. sounds like there is a restriction somwhere. check all of ur hoses and make sure theres no cracks in ur radiator or overflow tank