PDA

View Full Version : Not boosting like before (GIAC)

PhunkyStamos
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't post that much on here but I'm having a problem with my car and was hoping someone local would know what's going on.

This is my dilemma, I got my car chipped GIAC and when I first got it the boost would spike to 21 psi than settle at 15-16 psi, which was awesome. This was with the stock DV, well like expected the DV started going out and for about a month I drove it and it would only hit about 10-13 psi. So I just got a Forge 007 today, installed it and test drove it. So the turbo kicks in a lot stronger and holds longer which it should now but I'm only hitting 10 psi no matter what I do. I don't understand what could be wrong now. I even switched the green spring for the yellow thinking that might solve it but it still stays at 10 psi. The only thing I can think of is I just got a CEL a couple of days ago and it was the rear O2 sensor, could the car be in limp mode b/c of the CEL??? I ordered a new sensor so I plan on installing that asap.

Oh yeah I'm running the stock N75 valve too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Im still learning these cars myself but i would try and make sure you dont have any leaks. also switch out that 02 sensor and clear the ECU. i have already learned that everyone that owns one of these cars should have VAG-COM.

bump so someone that knows better can help..

PhunkyStamos
07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the bump. Where should I check for leaks? I want to get a vag-com but they're a little pricey. I'll hopefully make the meet at the Varsity tonight and I'll ask around there if anyone might know what's wrong with my car.

4dmin
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
did you chip or flash??? you can always call EPG \/ in the sig below... tell them paul from IA sent ya, talk to Brian

Spyder
07-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Where should I check for leaks? I want to get a vag-com but they're a little pricey.

i paid 35 bucks total for mine... i know they appear pricey but you can just buy a cable on ebay and d/l the software..

as far as where to look for leaks it isnt all to uncommon for the rubber that connects from the intercooler to the intake to leak.. also you said its running less boost now that it has the new recirculator valve. so look at what all you messed with to install it, perhaps its leaking on the back side of it where it slides into the hose from the turbo hotside. other then that unfortunatly i dont know without seeing it..

PhunkyStamos
07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
I got the car chipped by Brian over at epg, I tried calling the other day but as usual just the answering machine.

As far as the ebay cable I've heard some nightmares about them and I just don't know which one to get. I don't want to be stuck with one that doesn't work, plus I'd also have to get a laptop or somethin so I could use it. Which seller did you get your cable from, I'm assuming that one is working well for you.

I can't wait to get my O2 sensor so I can install that and clear the codes just to make sure for some odd reason that isn't the culprit. Tomorrow I'll check every hose I can to make sure there aren't any leaks.

PhunkyStamos
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok so I finally got around to checking the hoses and there's nothing loose. But now my CEL isn't even on anymore? It's still driving the same though. I think I'll just have to take it to eurotech and see what they say about it. I was hoping to fix it myself to save some $$ but oh well.

Allstar3.8T
07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Definately try resetting the ECU, and then it will probably be in a stock setting at that point, so dont forget to swap to a 93/higher boost program. Also , did you put the DV on backwards by chance?

PAUL, arent you proud of me, at no point did I say " you should have bought an APR chip!" :)

PhunkyStamos
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I installed the DV just like the original, plus I have a piston in mine and I don't think reversing it would do anything anyway. I have a GIAC chip so I'm pretty sure I just have one program thats on all the time.

Is there anyway to reset the ecu without using a vag-com? Can you disconnect the battery or somethin? If I do that I don't think my radio would work cause I bought the car used which would suck cause I don't have the code.

Allstar3.8T
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
You undo the battery to clear most chipped cars if you dont wanna vag-com it, but you need to go thru a list of things to reboot the ECU if GIAC has a security feature. I'd check w/ your chip installer and see what they think. If you undo the battery, remember to let the TB align sensor relearn for 30 secs once power is returned to the car and the key is turned (Stay off the throttle on fire up) and then you must roll windows all the way down, then all the way up to let your one touch relearn thier limits. Depending on the chip functions more headaches may occur.
Being a GIAC customer I am sure you are familiar w/ headaches, and heartbreaks.... (Thats for you Paul) :P

PhunkyStamos
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah I did an overnight reset on the car and still nothing, even unplugged the maf and drove around and nothing. I didn't have any probs with the battery disconnect but that does explain why my windows were acting up :rolleyes:

Heres an idea I thought of and tell me if this could happen. A couple months ago I put on my bov just to try it and of course it caused a cel so I took it off. I than went to the dealership to get my door light and trunk switch replaced and noticed that when I got the car back there was no cel. Could the dealer inadvertently erased the giac software and turned it back to stock???

I think I've tried everything I can so I guess I'll have to take it to Eurotech next chance I get.

4dmin
07-14-2005, 12:59 PM
^ i would definately take it to EPG b/c they are the only ones able to work on that ecu now that it has that chip

Allstar3.8T
07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I bet it got erased. DH asked me if I was chipped, when I acted sheepish he said, I dont want to mess up you chip, I dont care if it is chipped so long as it isnt creating problems.
When they clear codes, they can return the ECU to OEM
I bet thats it!

PhunkyStamos
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
ahhhh, DH was the dealer I went to...... now all I need is a day off so I can take it to eurotech and get it reprogrammed

Spyder
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I bet it got erased. DH asked me if I was chipped, when I acted sheepish he said, I dont want to mess up you chip, I dont care if it is chipped so long as it isnt creating problems.
When they clear codes, they can return the ECU to OEM
I bet thats it!

this is good to know...