PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear about Atlanta Motor Speedway damage last night?

Tracy
07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Someone IMed me and told me that AMS had $40 million in damage last night due to the storm last night. I didn't see it on-line. I was wondering if anyone had seen it on the news or anything.

Spyder
07-07-2005, 04:12 PM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=12461
yep.

Bishop
07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=12461
yup

Kevykev
wonder how much in covered under their insurance.

simplyblurredmrT
^^Yeah it was on fox news today, I didn't know the damage was that costly I thought they were saying around 10 MILLION DOLLARS Muwahahahahahhahah (touches pinky to corner of mouth) LOL!

Tracy
07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
oh dayum. How did I miss that thread. Thanks guys.

Tracy
07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Wonder what NOPI will do???

Brett
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
oh dayum. How did I miss that thread. Thanks guys.

cause you are to worried about making new threads your blind ass didnt look :D

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Wonder what NOPI will do???

I was told that since most of the damage happened to buildings that NOPI Nats doesn't even use anyway, that right now it's still on.

Tracy
07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
ok I just read about NOPI NM.

Brett fuck off! I'll beat you! NM...you'd like that too much :)

P.S. I don't make that many new threads.

Brett
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
ok I just read about NOPI NM.

Brett fuck off! I'll beat you! NM...you'd like that too much :)

P.S. I don't make that many new threads.

SPANK ME BABY!!!! :idb:

speedminded
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I was told that since most of the damage happened to buildings that NOPI Nats doesn't even use anyway, that right now it's still on.supposebly just the condo's were damaged and a few other minor things...you can read briefly about it on ajc.com but couldn't find many pics.

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Here yall go, some pics.
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_1.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_2.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_5.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_7.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_8.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_9.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_10.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_6.jpg
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/images/tornado/ams_tornado_14.jpg

Pics are courtesy of my buddy Christy from the 3si.org group.

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 04:25 PM
supposebly just the condo's were damaged and a few other minor things...you can read briefly about it on ajc.com but couldn't find many pics.

UMMMM ^^^^^^^ :D ;)

Spyder
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
dayum.

speedminded
07-07-2005, 04:29 PM
UMMMM ^^^^^^^ :D ;)lol, errr...sortof just the condos...and the box seats and the fences and the....and the...and... heyyy, just going by what the ajc said...i can't stand the media.

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 04:32 PM
lol, errr...sortof just the condos...and the box seats and the fences and the....and the...and... heyyy, just going by what the ajc said...i can't stand the media.

You know I was just playing. :goodjob:

If you look closely in a couple of those pics, the whole freaking position tower fell. That tower was like 3-4 stories high I bet. The freaky thing is that you can also tell in one of the pics how just parts of a section of seats below some messed up press boxes was messed up, not the whole thing.

If they don't rule that a tornado, they're smoking something.

Brett
07-07-2005, 04:33 PM
^^ Well its either that or a Microburst, and that can do just as much damage as a tornado and in some cases even more damage

flysi00
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
damn that was alot of damage

Spyder
^^ Well its either that or a Microburst, and that can do just as much damage as a tornado and in some cases even more damage

which is more what it looks like to me, everything appears to be heading in the same direction, aka straight line winds. in a tornado (as we all know) shit flys in every direction as it leaves the vortex.

HyPer50
holy shit, that place looks like it got it totalled almost. i mean i knew it was bad last night, but didn't think it was that bad.

Tracy
07-07-2005, 04:47 PM
dang. Those ae some greusome pics

Brett
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Is there blood? lol

Brett
07-07-2005, 04:55 PM
which is more what it looks like to me, everything appears to be heading in the same direction, aka straight line winds. in a tornado (as we all know) shit flys in every direction as it leaves the vortex.

Exactly, thats why I tend to think they will say it was a Microburst

HEATON
07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Dayuum that sucks..My dad was one of the ones that installed the kitchens/bathrooms in the Suites.

brads94accord
07-07-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah looks like a microburst to me.

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Damn we have a bunch of meteorology buffs in this mofo, eh???? ;)

Bastages, I said it was a tornado and that's final biotches!!!!! :2up: ;)

HyPer50
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
microburst? for those of us who didn't finish high school.. enlighten me.

Spyder
07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
microburst? for those of us who didn't finish high school.. enlighten me.
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/svr/comp/out/micro/home.rxml

Spyder
07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Damn we have a bunch of meteorology buffs in this mofo, eh???? ;)

Bastages, I said it was a tornado and that's final biotches!!!!! :2up: ;)

i cant lie im a weather nerd.. i have always been interested in the hows and whys of anything that surrounds me... weather is just one of the many things :)

Brett
07-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Thats how I am, I always like to read about shit around me and learn how EVERYTHING around me works and why shit does what it does

¿ F_i_r_e_s_t_i_n_e ?
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Damn AMS got Fucker up!

Tracy
07-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Damn AMS got Fucker up!

is this little firestine??? Kiss my ass firestine???

Jaimecbr900
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I just read somewhere that it was an F2 TORNADO .......

Let that be the last time yall ho's doubt me... :2up: ;)

A.P. Photography
07-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Actually the pics were courtesy of AMS website. They have a small write up about it on www.atlantamotorspeedway.com (http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com) and the position tower is actually 5 stories tall Jaimie. :goodjob:

topsecret2JZ
07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
hope they still have nopi this year

JC
07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
^^Yeah it was on fox news today, I didn't know the damage was that costly I thought they were saying around 10 MILLION DOLLARS Muwahahahahahhahah (touches pinky to corner of mouth) LOL!

Umm, try 40 million + is what they are saying now and it wont reopen until October HOPEFULLY is what they are saying.

Brett
07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
They will end up having to tear down all the structures and totally rebuild them.

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 07:51 AM
^^ Yeah now they are saying $75 mil in damages. I believe most of the complex will have to be torn down and rebuilt.

Jaimecbr900
07-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Actually the pics were courtesy of AMS website. They have a small write up about it on www.atlantamotorspeedway.com (http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com) and the position tower is actually 5 stories tall Jaimie. :goodjob:

Listen here MR.....how many times do I have to tell yall young bucks to respect your elders and not try and correct me in public???? :2up: Damn biotches!@!!!! :D ;)

Seriously, my buddy Christy put those up on our website, so I just cut and pasted. I didn't want her getting mad at me for taking credit or something. Although she's not like that.

I knew they were from AMS's website, but she did most of the work. I just cheated.... ;)

BTW, I came pretty close on the tower for just guessing..... ;)

Jaimecbr900
07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
For those that have asked:

I have a very very reliable source that has traded emails with Mark from NOPI and as of NOW it's still on because he feels that we don't use any of those structures anyway. Again, this is second hand BUT the person sent Mark an email and that was his response.

That may all change, but for now that's the word. :goodjob:

JC
07-08-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't know, I think Mark may just be saying that for now. Honestly, I don't think he even knows what is gonna happen. But I highly doubt it will be held at the AMS, they will have to relocate for sure. But a representative from the AMS said that there is not a part of the AMS that is not damaged, and the entire grandstand seating area is destroyed as well as all the garages in the center of the track where the vendor booths are set up. The AMS rep said they would be lucky to be able to open for the race in October.

I am thinking that Mark doesn't know the extent of the damage, and AMS has so many problems on their hands that don't have the time to talk to Mark to discuss the plans for NOPI. I don't think it will be possible to have NOPI there this year.

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Listen here MR.....how many times do I have to tell yall young bucks to respect your elders and not try and correct me in public???? :2up: Damn biotches!@!!!! :D ;)

Seriously, my buddy Christy put those up on our website, so I just cut and pasted. I didn't want her getting mad at me for taking credit or something. Although she's not like that.

I knew they were from AMS's website, but she did most of the work. I just cheated.... ;)

BTW, I came pretty close on the tower for just guessing..... ;)
You are only 4 years older than me mang, so the first statement does not qualify, lol.

I was just saying where they were from since I saw them on AMS website earlier so it was really just an FYI. ;)

Yeah I did not realize it was that tall either but figured I would inform ya as well as anyone else that didn't know. :goodjob:

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't know, I think Mark may just be saying that for now. Honestly, I don't think he even knows what is gonna happen. But I highly doubt it will be held at the AMS, they will have to relocate for sure. But a representative from the AMS said that there is not a part of the AMS that is not damaged, and the entire grandstand seating area is destroyed as well as all the garages in the center of the track where the vendor booths are set up. The AMS rep said they would be lucky to be able to open for the race in October.

I am thinking that Mark doesn't know the extent of the damage, and AMS has so many problems on their hands that don't have the time to talk to Mark to discuss the plans for NOPI. I don't think it will be possible to have NOPI there this year.
IF, and it is a big IF, they can get the infield area repaired I could see them letting NOPI use only that area but the damages keep going up the more they inspect so it will be close. This will be intresting to see if NOPI is there this year.

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:17 AM
they won't move Nats, there isn't anywhere else equiped to handle the traffic

JC
07-08-2005, 08:19 AM
I guess only time will tell and we will all find out what will happen. In the meantime, I'm not preregistaring yet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
^^ I agree, AMS is the only venue large enough to hold it in the ATL. However, if the Nats keep growing then AMS will not be able to handle the show either. I am just intrested to see how this will all play out.

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:23 AM
sounds like a shitty year for shows... NO TUNERBASH, rain out TFS, & Nats???

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
This is the year the shows are hit hard.

Jaimecbr900
07-08-2005, 08:31 AM
That would suck to not have NOPI Nats.

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:36 AM
^ not really it sux anyway same shit just more idiots every year... it lost its fun about 3 years ago when they started cracking down real hard on the partying... i always have more fun at Tuner Bash

JC
07-08-2005, 08:36 AM
sounds like a shitty year for shows... NO TUNERBASH, rain out TFS, & Nats???

True!

Jaimecbr900
07-08-2005, 08:39 AM
^ not really it sux anyway same shit just more idiots every year... it lost its fun about 3 years ago when they started cracking down real hard on the partying... i always have more fun at Tuner Bash

I don't know. This is one of the few shows every year where you have to make big plans to be there. I kinda liked that.

We've never had a problem doing whatever we wanted at Nats. We don't go blazin it up or getting into fights and stuff, but we do what we want and have never had anyone even say anything bad to us.

Maybe you're just too freaking wild..... ;)

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 08:45 AM
No Paul is right. It is just the overall atmosphere that is gone because the speedway said no more. Nats are so big that no other venue can handle it, which is the biggest downside to it.

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:47 AM
^ hey nothing wrong w/ complete total drunkiness at the shoneys inn w/ boobs flashing, cars burning out, fights, street racing , and a whole lot of craziness :D

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:50 AM
3 or 4 years ago we had a 12 year old pull a gun on us, cops brought out the helicopter to shut down the party, pedal almost got handcuffed for public drunkiness, kid got owned by rookie cop police brutality, drunk friends going into other rooms and breaking bottles over peoples heads, etc, etc, etc,.... there is always a party when we are around. :D

i miss the old PI days at the shoneys inn

Jaimecbr900
07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
^ hey nothing wrong w/ complete total drunkiness at the shoneys inn w/ boobs flashing, cars burning out, fights, street racing , and a whole lot of craziness :D

You're right.

But wouldn't that be the Inn's fault for stopping THAT????

I didn't do the Nats 5 yrs ago, so I don't know. But the last 3 I've participated in have had their share of wild stuff happening. I suspect that you couldn't have drunken orgies in one of the paddocks or anything, but you're more than welcome to do that under our tent.......I'll make sure noone is watching..... ;)

Brett
07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I can care less if Nopi happens or not, I have never shown at it, and dont plan to ever show at that shit hole of a show

4dmin
07-08-2005, 08:59 AM
^ i didnt' say it was anyones fault, but the whole atmosphere has just gone down.... seriously who goes to NOPI for the show??? its a joke anyway judgeing sux, besides the bikinis, hydros, and vendors; everything else sux. the street life around Nats has always been the fun part from the drive down through Atlanta Friday night, to party in the hotels, to havok on the streets... thats why Tuner Bash was always more fun :D

thinkfast®
07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
^^ agree with ya on that, been goin the past 5-6 years now, my first year showing was last year though, thast just because Ford RBR crew got me and a few homeys in free. Im glad I did, I took first in my class but the show itself w/ the people that go have gone downhill. Lowrider stopped coming, a lot of lowrider clubs had already boycotted the Nats because of shitty judging/shitty location, I dont know where else they would hold it though...

A.P. Photography
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
thats just it, there is no other place to hold it in the ATL. I have seen it at its best and watched it go downhil (sadly). I have been going since the early 90's when it all started at lakewood back when it was just the NOPI Bugoff.