PDA

View Full Version : how to lower HC ppm to pass emissions?

SLo_MKIII
06-18-2007, 01:06 PM
i took my car to the emissions place and in the 25/25 test it failed the HC ppm and the NOx ppm. in the 50/15 test it only failed the NOx ppm test. the guy who ran the test said the cat seems to be fried. just wondering besides the cat what else can i do to make the car pass. any advice would be heplful thanks in advance:D

RITboy22
06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
buy a new cat. and no, not a cat from the pet store.

SLo_MKIII
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
buy a new cat. and no, not a cat from the pet store.

haha thanks :lmfao:

Tinton
06-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Get a new cat, and cut out the new 1, and clamp the new 1 in. Then go get it tested. Then after you pass, get the cat out and put it away, then put in straight pipe. :goodjob:

Blitanicle99
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Start disconnecting shit like vaccum lines like a mother so it barely runs and then take it. Make sure he doesnt turn it off, because it wont turn back on with all that shit un hooked.
It works on mercedes, I dont know why it wouldnt work on other cars.

scttydb411
06-18-2007, 05:33 PM
is everything stock including the ecu? try cat first. any cel?

Z U L8R
06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
sounds like you're having a problem with the egr system. test your egr valve by giving it vacuum with a hand held vacuum pump and see if the diaphram opens. if it opens then the valve is good. then with the car running give the egr valve vacuum to open it, which will create a big vacuum leak and the car should idle very roughly and or die. that will tell you that your egr ports aren't clogged. if you give the valve vacuum and it doesn't change the way it idles then you need to clean your egr ports because they're restricted and not allowing exhaust gas to recirculate back into the engine. if so far everything tests good then you want to check that your egr valve is getting vacuum from the egr vac switch. you can do this by hooking up your hand held vacuum pump to the hose that goes to the egr valve which feeds it vacuum from the egr vac switch. turn the car on and rev it up and see if you get vacuum to it, if you don't then the problem is your egr vac switch. good luck
Dave

GSRtegŪ
06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Yea, I was about to say that^^^^

Z U L8R
06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
anything new?

QX56tech
06-21-2007, 09:06 PM
That will not work on a honda
Start disconnecting shit like vaccum lines like a mother so it barely runs and then take it. Make sure he doesnt turn it off, because it wont turn back on with all that shit un hooked.
It works on mercedes, I dont know why it wouldnt work on other cars.

QX56tech
06-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Great info
sounds like you're having a problem with the egr system. test your egr valve by giving it vacuum with a hand held vacuum pump and see if the diaphram opens. if it opens then the valve is good. then with the car running give the egr valve vacuum to open it, which will create a big vacuum leak and the car should idle very roughly and or die. that will tell you that your egr ports aren't clogged. if you give the valve vacuum and it doesn't change the way it idles then you need to clean your egr ports because they're restricted and not allowing exhaust gas to recirculate back into the engine. if so far everything tests good then you want to check that your egr valve is getting vacuum from the egr vac switch. you can do this by hooking up your hand held vacuum pump to the hose that goes to the egr valve which feeds it vacuum from the egr vac switch. turn the car on and rev it up and see if you get vacuum to it, if you don't then the problem is your egr vac switch. good luck
Dave

Z U L8R
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
a tune up & pcv valve won't hurt either. plus your car'll run better

SLo_MKIII
07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
anything new?

egr is fine... cat is clogged. will replacing make it pass?