PDA

View Full Version : J30A tranny swap - dying to make my 02 Accord an MT

WiSeBoi84
06-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Mods - Im slightly new to these forums so please move my thread as needed if I posted in the wrong place.

I would like to know from the Honda Acura family gurus out there if it is at all possible that I might be able to get my 2002 V6 Accord converted to MT. I believe the engine for the 2003-2007 accord utilizes the same engine block (J30A,B, J32A,B, for Acura CLs etc.). The newer 7th gen accords offer a 6-speed MT for the V6 models. Since its a tranny based on the same block, would it be feasable to swap the newer tranny in for the older one on my car and convert it to MT. Which doner parts would I need to salvage (or more than likely order from Honda as I assume the newer the car the less likely you are to find a doner parts vehicle in the area junk yards).

- I already assume Im gonna need new/custom guage cluster (or just steal the guages from the I-4 version of the coupe from my year's body style that ran on the H22a engine w/ 5sp MT - possibly bootleging a light for the 6th gear?

- I will need a new ECU (probably from the doner model) as the AT computer definitely wont work on an MT

- I will need a clutch w/ matching master cylinder and slave cylinder

- Corresponding or custom gear shifter w/ boot or again steal it from the H22a models from my year

- A lot of hope and prayer that it will actually work?

My goal is to just make a very aggressive daily driver, an over-glorfied grocery getter/family coupe/undercover JDM sleeper, one that is capable of running 12-14s 1/4 times until I stack enough bread to afford a used NSX.

Later on Im gonna talk with area shops to see who's the best at making custom retrofit turbo manifolds since there is no after market support for my car and no company ever bothered to try and develop a turbo bolt-on for the J block (V6) because the engineers made her a SOHC, FF and left only so much space under the hood crippling its performance modification versatility :( And fuck the Comptech Supercharger, I want a little more power than just a simple I/H/E plus a supercharger - and last I researched, boosting will get me there quicker with alittle less money (despite the custom work involved), though I dont know so correct me if Im wrong.:thinking: :goodjob:

sleepys4
06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I know someone who has done this in a Acura cl, i believe it is the same concept. Ill talk with him and see if he can give you some advice etc.

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 12:52 AM
newer accord(7th gen) have the k series motor in them so no that will not work....
The only way to put a manual tranny into a 6th gen accord (V6) is the CL Type S Tranny... There has only been 2 or 3 complete projects done(worldwide)... most of them fail because of the wiring complication.... but thats after finding the rare tranny and tranny parts... G/L

.blank cd
06-18-2007, 12:58 AM
buy a new car

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 01:00 AM
or you could just do that....

WiSeBoi84
06-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Damn, really? That sucks-ass lol. So I should just save it as a DD and leave it completely stock huh? I'd be better of investing in building something like a 240sx on the side as my all-out project car? I'd love to stay in the Honda/Acura fam, but they really dont have any affordable RWD cars laying around these days.

.blank cd
06-18-2007, 01:02 AM
dont do another 240. buy a 5th or 6th gen accord w/ a 5spd. Thats what im doing:goodjob:

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Even as a DD the auto tranny for the V6 wil lbreak down multiple times... even for rebuilds or swapped used trannys... best thing you should do is sell it... trade it in for a I4 5Spd(Great on Gas) and turbo it... or CL-S tranny swap.... G.L

WiSeBoi84
06-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I mean, for years I had been dying to get an accord, specifically a 6th gen - but I've had my coupe for a while now. I LOVE the body lines, its the sexiest car ever next to what it was modeled after (the nsx) yet I hate the fact that I will never be able to drift it! I've been bitten by the drifting bug and cant wait to start. I dont really aim to race cause I've already lost too many friends to that shit, just need something fast so that when I am caught drifting/trying to drift I can break out before the police actually catch up to me lol. Any other car suggestions?

Oh yeah, and btw I already have really bad tranny slippage between 1-2 gear just from driving her too hard and probably from riding in 2nd on fast-ass down hills and 3rd while doing 100-110 though the car allows you to drop it in 3rd without pressing the gear shifter lock button? Oh well, that shit still sure was fun.:yes:

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Get a bike...

WiSeBoi84
06-18-2007, 01:17 AM
lol what? Hell no, I love cars wayyy to much and value being protected by 4 walls at all times even more!

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 01:19 AM
LOL... if you plan on doing the CL-S swap then hit me up I have a couple good ideas for the swap(PARTS and what not) but just to let you know now.. itll rate around 4-6k...
G/L

SiGuy
06-18-2007, 01:38 AM
3.5L acura mdx bottom end
j30a4 (cl-s) pistons
j30a heads
j32a2 cams
j32a2 t.b.
03 cl-s 6sp tranny
unichip
headers
exhaust
intake
aem pulleys
megan crank pulley

is a very nice setup

then comptech supercharger with the cl-s high boost pulley....skeet skeet

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC
this swap is not very hard you need....
6gen 4banger pedal assembly....holes are already in the firewall to bolt them up....
6gen 4 banger clutch master cylinder
03 acura cl type s 6spd. tranny
custom hydro fluid clutch lines....

go to v6performance.net for more info

GIXXERDK
06-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Accords are gay

SiGuy
06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Accords are gay

lol.....if you were just joking around cool.....but if not...

then keep that shit to yourself....

WhiteAccord
06-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Im just going to back out of this forum slowly... G/L David....