PDA

View Full Version : Driver ticketed for using biofuel

blackshine007
06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Bruce Henderson, The Charlotte Observer
Bob Teixeira decided it was time to take a stand against U.S. dependence on foreign oil.

So last fall the Charlotte musician and guitar instructor spent $1,200 to convert his 1981 diesel Mercedes to run on vegetable oil. He bought soybean oil in 5-gallon jugs at Costco, spending about 30 percent more than diesel would cost.

His reward, from a state that heavily promotes alternative fuels: a $1,000 fine last month for not paying motor fuel taxes. He has been told to expect another $1,000 fine from the federal government.

To legally use veggie oil, state officials told him, he would have to first post a $2,500 bond.

Teixeira is one of a growing number of fuel-it-yourselfers -- backyard brewers who recycle restaurant grease or make moonshine for their car tanks. They do it to save money, reduce pollution or thumb their noses at oil sheiks.

They're also caught in a web of little-known state laws that can stifle energy independence.

State Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Denton, is known around Raleigh for his diesel Volkswagen fueled by used soybean oil. The car sports a "Goodbye, OPEC" sign.

"If somebody was going to go to this much trouble to drive around in a car that uses soybean oil, they ought to be exempt" from state taxes, he said.

The state Department of Revenue, which fined Teixeira, has asked legislators to waive the $2,500 bond for small fuel users. The department also told Teixeira, after the Observer asked about his case this week, that it will compromise on his fine.

But officials say they'll keep pursuing taxes on all fuels used in highway vehicles. With its 29.9-cent a gallon gas tax, the state collects $1.2 billion each year to pay for road construction.

"With the high cost of fuel right now, the department does recognize that a lot of people are looking for relief," said Reggie Little, assistant director of the motor fuel taxes division. "We're not here to hurt the small guy, we're just trying to make sure that the playing field is level."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/599471.html

This just shows how greedy the government really is

koukis14
06-12-2007, 11:41 PM
THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!

Revolution, the only solution,
The armed response of an entire nation,
Revolution, the only solution,
We've taken all your shit, now it's time for restitution.

blackshine007
06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm amazed by the fact that he, not only has to pay a $2500 bond, but also the fees to go along with it. It almost make me regret at times being an American. Secret laws is str8 bullshit

Echonova
06-12-2007, 11:53 PM
'Bout time they start cracking down on the people escaping Big Oil. J/K... The government makes more off a gallon of gas the do the gas staions or "Big Oil". Taxes are based on percentages, higher the cost of gas the more taxes they collect. Where as oil companies still has a profit margin they met, so the cost of a gallon doesn't matter... They make the same.

Magnus213
06-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Ridiculous. Greed > concern for the future, every damn day of the week.

koukis14
06-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Who is taking bets on when the next American Revolution will happen.

.:Zero:.
06-13-2007, 01:42 AM
The government has turned into a business over the past century. The policy toward serving the people has transitioned to the policy of making money.

To have a revolution, first one must gain a following of people who are willing to bomb, bug and corrupt (I'm not talking about small scandals you see on the news) the current government. These are the tactics the CIA uses to dissolve a government before a preemptive war is declared.

But if Bush's approval rating is circa 30% and people are still to unmotivated to vote him out of office, I doubt you'll see the revolution you want any time soon. However, if Democrats win the presidential election, radical changes will be made to America and its economy.

Revolution (in America) has become a war fought with bureaucracy and voting instead of rifles and bombs. Once people realize this, they will have their revolution. Though this is already common knowledge, the general opinion of the American public is that one person doesn't make a difference. This statement may be true to an extent, but mass those pessimistic people together and now you have a voice. It all boils down to organization.

koukis14
06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
The government has turned into a business over the past century. The policy toward serving the people has transitioned to the policy of making money.

To have a revolution, first one must gain a following of people who are willing to bomb, bug and corrupt (I'm not talking about small scandals you see on the news) the current government. These are the tactics the CIA uses to dissolve a government before a preemptive war is declared.

But if Bush's approval rating is circa 30% and people are still to unmotivated to vote him out of office, I doubt you'll see the revolution you want any time soon. However, if Democrats win the presidential election, radical changes will be made to America and its economy.

Revolution (in America) has become a war fought with bureaucracy and voting instead of rifles and bombs. Once people realize this, they will have their revolution. Though this is already common knowledge, the general opinion of the American public is that one person doesn't make a difference. This statement may be true to an extent, but mass those pessimistic people together and now you have a voice. It all boils down to organization.

We did vote him out of office, more people voted for the other guy but Bush still won. I get the feeling after the Bush circus has left Washington thing are going to surface that nobody ever though of...bad thing. Like the truth of 9-11, why we really went to Iraq, voter fraud, and I hope much much more.

koukis14
06-13-2007, 01:49 AM

Revolution (in America) has become a war fought with bureaucracy and voting instead of rifles and bombs. Once people realize this, they will have their revolution. Though this is already common knowledge, the general opinion of the American public is that one person doesn't make a difference. This statement may be true to an extent, but mass those pessimistic people together and now you have a voice. It all boils down to organization.By the way that is a good fuckign post,

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to .:Zero:. again

BiH1320
06-13-2007, 01:57 AM
This world needs to explode. And then everyone would be happy. We wouldnt have to worry about paying taxes or anything.

BiH1320
06-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Didnt a guy make a car run on water and he got killed for it? Idk where it happened but I heard it from someone.

Extrememustang
06-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I remember a year or so on the news it had a guy in a turbo diesal beetle doing this. Also the news posted up how to turn your vehicle into being able to do this

Hulud
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
its about time you people realize whats going on. just like why we depend on the govt for energy. its not that we cant do it our selves its that the govt wont make any money off of us. which is why we dont have windmills or solar energy for our main source, which is much better for the enviroment. its that the govt cant REGULATE it.

.:Zero:.
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
which is why we dont have windmills or solar energy for our main source, which is much better for the enviroment.
The problem with harnessing solar and wind energy is that it isn't a constant medium. Creating an effecient and reliable power source with out creating a nasty by-product is a huge obstacle to overcome. Over the past decade, huge advancements toward fusion technology have been made. Currently there are projects with goals of using super energy (better known as plasma sparks) to create electricity. These projects exploit the pysical properties plasma to power a piston driven generator. When plasma is compressed it rapidly builds energy and expands. Once it expands, the spark then cools and compresses again. Sadly this technology won't be practical any time soon.

Nissangeek
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
It's stories like this that have caused me to lose faith in our gov't and humanity as a whole. I guess it just goes to show that the almighty dollar does rule and that everyone does have their price.

Doppelgänger
06-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I've been saying for a long time that Bush is trying to destroy this country before he leaves office because he has NOTHING TO LOOSE.

Seriously, someone needs to take him out.... fast.

Sol-Badguy
06-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I can't believe this..

rolling_trip
06-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I've been saying for a long time that Bush is trying to destroy this country before he leaves office because he has NOTHING TO LOOSE.

Seriously, someone needs to take him out.... fast.

That might be one of the dumbest things anyone has ever said on IA to date. I agree that Bush hasn't always thought out all of the effects of what he has done in while he has been in office. But keep this in mind, he is a firgure head. It takes more than one person to make or break a country. Like him or not, he has tried to make the world we live in a safer place, although the route was not the best.

Doppelgänger
06-13-2007, 10:27 AM
http://pink.negativesmart.com/lemmings.jpg

im not going to go in to a back-and-forth argument, but it's not hard to see he is a complete fucking moron. I mean, look at what happens when there is a camera on him and no cue cards..... he turns into a fucking 3rd grader. Besides when you have a LOT of money, you can do just about anything. Think it's a mistake ole fuck BinLaden hasn't been caught but we can find Sadam in a hole in the middle of nowhere by mor or less 'accident'?

Shit i'll take a leader that got a piece of ass on the side then one who doesn't even know which fucking door he came in a room from.

GSRteg®
06-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Yup, america has become the land of fuckups if you ask me.

I'm amazed by the fact that he, not only has to pay a $2500 bond, but also the fees to go along with it. It almost make me regret at times being an American. Secret laws is str8 bullshit

Magnus213
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Remember those ads that used to say "55,000 people can't be wrong!" or something to push their product as a well-bought piece? Any future use of that type of slogan was killed when Bush was re-elected by 30 million people or whatever it was. They WERE wrong.

And I think the movie is called "Who Killed the Electric Car," BiH1320.

GSRteg®
06-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Whats this world coming to? :thinking:

blackshine007
06-13-2007, 06:19 PM
IIRC, They were promoting a thing about if you drive a vechicle that doesn't pollute the atmosphere (i.e; electric cars) that you're supposed to get a tax break. What they don't tell you is this... I can get you quite a few links right now for cars that run on stuff that's not petroleum based. There's an engine that was invented back in the 80's, it weighs 30 lbs, and makes 200 hp at something like 100 rpm. I forget what it runs off of, but I think it's powered by a bunch of counter rotating magnet if I remember right. You won't hear of stuff like that going public. Being that a magnet produces it's own current, you can't replenish it's power. I'm more than positive it won't come to the market. There's a car in europe now that's powered by h2o, using water vapors. The U.S. government won't allow it to come over here. They advertise conserving energy, yet the auto manufactors are still allowed to produce heavy vehicles which suck the living shit out of our supplies (a billion barrels of oil a day in the US), basicly playing hookie with our wallets. And the oil companies get bored and raise the gas prices just for the hell of it.

Whats this world coming to?
That's a great question. I hope for the better one day

TheSnail
06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I bet car manufactures get tax breaks for making non economic cars/engines and get heavily taxed for producing cars like the Prius.

Extrememustang
06-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Im sure the oil companys will owuld are ARE fighting for gas cars to stay...Also what state is that thats has like 1000 windmills all besides each other and what are their purpose?

koukis14
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Im sure the oil companys will owuld are ARE fighting for gas cars to stay...Also what state is that thats has like 1000 windmills all besides each other and what are their purpose?

I think thats California.