PDA

View Full Version : Misc What are everyones work out routine?

Double_0_Rusty
06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Im curious to know what other people do when they work out (Benching). I do 10 reps of light weight (80-100lbs) then 8 reps of 110-120, then 5 reps of 130-140, then 4 reps of 150-160 , 2 reps of 220, then for one rep I max out at 295. Tomorrow I am going for 310 and right now I am hurting like fuck. What are some better ideas? Serious answers result with reps. Thanks

OOR.

Bballjamal
06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Well you have the right concept down with, progressing weight, while degressing reps so nothing to add onto there! I forget the proper name for this but it promotes quicker muscle mass. Instead of doing reps, put on 60-80% of your max, and hold it at about half rep for five 10-15sec trials! Stretch, do an alternate excercise (such as medium weight curls), stretch, then repeat with the half rep holding!

I got that routine from two NFL trainers that used to come to the YMCA back up in seattle when I worked and lived there. I've always been more of a muscle toning type of guy since I started off with a big stature since back when I was young! But if I were to be going for mass alone, that technique works like a charm :goodjob:

GSRtegŪ
06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm addicts lol

Double_0_Rusty
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Well you have the right concept down with, progressing weight, while degressing reps so nothing to add onto their! I forget the proper name for this but it promotes quicker muscle mass. Instead of doing reps, put on 60-80% of your max, and hold it at about half rep for five 10-15sec trials! Stretch, do an alternate excercise (such as medium weight curls), stretch, then repeat with the half rep holding!

I got that routine from two NFL trainers that used to come to the YMCA back up in seattle when I worked and lived there. I've always been more of a muscle toning type of guy since I started off with a big stature since I was young! But if I were to be going for mass alone, that technique works like a charm :goodjob:

thanks man, Ill give it a try. I am going to gain mass as well as tone. I used to be big back in high school, and i let myself go after football years. Thanks again

redrumracer
06-13-2007, 12:39 AM
your doin a pyramid routine right now. i believe what the other guy is talkin about is tearing of your muscle tissue which this increases mass when it heals. i may be wrong so correct me if i am.

Double_0_Rusty
06-13-2007, 12:47 AM
your doin a pyramid routine right now. i believe what the other guy is talkin about is tearing of your muscle tissue which this increases mass when it heals. i may be wrong so correct me if i am.

yeah i have been doing the pyramid routine for awhile...i just want to try something new

telum01
06-16-2007, 09:39 AM
this isn't specifically benching, but should still help a lot... the routine i always did when i was in the Marines was a superset of chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, and push-ups. i used a weight belt with a chain attached to the front to add weight, and did each with no break at all during the superset except the time it takes to swap weights or take off the belt.

10 pull-ups w/ 45 lbs
10 dips w/ 35 lbs
10 4-count 'wide' push-ups

rest 2 minutes

10 chin-ups w/ 45 lbs
10 dips w/ 35 lbs
10 4-count 'diamond' push-ups

rest 2 minutes

max set negative pull-ups w/ 45 lbs
max set negative dips w/ 35 lbs
10 4-count 'normal' push-ups

in addition to your benching, this should add a good amount to your physique. i was mostly going for toning, but with an increase in mass. i weighed about 170 (i'm 5'7") and was extremely toned. once you're used to these weights, keep adding weight progressively if you can.

tony
06-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Benching isn't really big for me so I just do 2 sets of 225 (3 reps) then 3 sets of 185 (10 reps)

I do more of a full body workout since I've started playing football and basketball. I don't have a set routine, I just do whatever I feel I'm lacking in. Leg workout is a must and I lift big when it comes to legs. So my workout looks about like this:

Flat Bench: 185lbs-225lbs (3-10 reps)
Barbell shoulder press: 155lbs (8 reps)
Barbell Curl: 90lbs (10 reps)
Calf Raises: 450lbs (12 reps)
Shrugs: 200lbs (12 reps)

I must be the only one who cannot do squats because the bar seems to hit a nerve, it doesnt matter how low the weight is, so I use a squat machine like this one:

http://www.pro-fitness.com/photos/front_squat_machine.jpg

I start out with 650lbs and drop 90lbs each set until I'm down to zero, REALLY good leg workout and its been helping with the sports I play.

I'm always looking for a workout partner so if anyone stays around the college park/fayetteville area hit me up.

slowinmidga
06-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Im curious to know what other people do when they work out (Benching). I do 10 reps of light weight (80-100lbs) then 8 reps of 110-120, then 5 reps of 130-140, then 4 reps of 150-160 , 2 reps of 220, then for one rep I max out at 295. Tomorrow I am going for 310 and right now I am hurting like fuck. What are some better ideas? Serious answers result with reps. Thanks

OOR.

Im my opinion if your doing that routine and then do one rep at 295 your doing a glorified warm up and then one good rep. I guess if your just working on your one rep max it would be ok for a while...
i normally do 135x10 185x10 for warmups then 225x10 275x8 315x4 then back down to 225 to 250 depending on how i feel and just rep out all i can get. I rest about 3-4 mins between sets. Ill switch up between heavy and light. If i was you I would start doing more reps and sets above the 220 range since you should have the strength if you have a 1rm of 295.