PDA

View Full Version : dirty throttle body

KREEP
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I just bought and integra and the cold air intake that has a K&N air filter on it has let a lot of junk through to the throttle body and engine. I cleaned the throttle body and plate and it was dirty as hell! I want to know if all of that got into the engine? I want to know how I can clean the inside if my engine cause I know it is full of carbon buildup and just road dirt and K&N filter oil! What do yall suggest? Some sort of engine additive that you put in and run for 5 minutes then change your oil? Or maybe sea foam? It's a product that you run in your gas, in a vaccum hose that runs directly into the intake manifold. What should I do to clean the inside of my engine?

MattB
06-12-2007, 12:43 AM
sea foam works decently from what i understand. you can add it to your gas or oil i believe. dont have much experience with it

Benefit
06-12-2007, 12:43 AM
oil catch can.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr take off your intake manifold , put brakleen everywhere and let it dry :K

AnthonyF
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
ummm...i don't know about u guys but nothing goes in my motor besides oil. Putting other chemicals in ur motor might do damage espically if u have changed out internal parts....my 2 cents.

KREEP
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Is there no way to clean it out?

KREEP
06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
At the oil and lube place they say they can do an engine flush which is draining your oil and putting in a solvent of some sort and runnning that for about 5 minutes, drain it and put new oil in. There are also 3 step flushes. Does anyone suggest doing these?

GSRtegŪ
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm

KREEP
06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Anybody? I don't want to do it if it will fuck up my engine. If a shop is doing it I guess they will be held responsible if anything messes up right?

uproot
06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Anybody? I don't want to do it if it will fuck up my engine. If a shop is doing it I guess they will be held responsible if anything messes up right?

they should know what they're doing...

boostedb16
06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
i had my mx-3 engine flushed at a oil changing place and it did not hurt anything.

cactusEG
06-12-2007, 11:56 PM
use lucas fuel injector cleaner and sea foam and intake cleaner...

AnthonyF
06-13-2007, 05:46 AM
you can remove the intake manifold and clean it by hand. it isn't going to hurt the performace of the vehicle too much. if your really looking to gain pwr then might as well install a larger TB, and IM.

KREEP
06-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I should just put new IM and Tb instead of cleaning what I have just upgrade to new stuff. Yeah I think thats what I will do.

AnthonyF
06-13-2007, 09:52 AM
on my EX back in the day i had a stock TB and short ram(gaye) and a Skunk2 intake manifold and it brought about 11hp to the ground. the TB would have really helped espically a tune.

3kgtdrvr
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
the only problem with some of those engine cleaners is that if you have an old engine with a lot of build up it will clean the engine, but all that junk has to go somewhere and it all doesn't come out when you change the oil. it can get sucked up in the pickup and can clog it up and you will not get oil get pumped through your engine well...which can also ruin your oil pump. it can also start leaks since all that buildup is what may be stopping a potential leak from leaking oil. also make sure u get it all out by changing the oil a couple times sooner than normal after that since those cleaners break down the oil so you dont want that floating around in your engine

Professor X
06-13-2007, 07:39 PM
At Toyota we use Top Engine Cleaner which is a chemical that is fed into the intake manifold after the throttle body. We clean the throttle plate first and then run the engine cleaner. We remove a vaccum source and run the cleaner. Our cleaner requires that we raise the rpm to 2000 rpm as the cleaner is run through the engine. It results in a ton of white smoke but don't be alarmed. I'm sure that Toyota would not allow us to use a harmful product on engines. This service is standard every 30,000 miles on a max service.

AnthonyF
06-14-2007, 07:56 AM
the only problem with some of those engine cleaners is that if you have an old engine with a lot of build up it will clean the engine, but all that junk has to go somewhere and it all doesn't come out when you change the oil. it can get sucked up in the pickup and can clog it up and you will not get oil get pumped through your engine well...which can also ruin your oil pump. it can also start leaks since all that buildup is what may be stopping a potential leak from leaking oil. also make sure u get it all out by changing the oil a couple times sooner than normal after that since those cleaners break down the oil so you dont want that floating around in your engine

exactly. i knew it on the tip of my tounge but couldnt think of it. I've seen where people have cleaned the tops of their heads under the valve covers and it falls into the oil pan and clogs the pick up screen. If they don't notice the OIL LIGHT then they will notice the motor blowing up.

Professor X
06-15-2007, 07:32 PM
If you feed the engine cleaner into the intake manifold, it will never get into the valve cover or settle into the oil pan unless you have another problem. It will travel into the intake manifold, cleaning it, and then into the combustion chamber passing by the valves, cleaning them, and out of the exhaust. If you don't feel comfortable with it, you can always buy some good ole BG to put in your gas tank and it will work its way through the fuel injectors and eventually into the combustion chamber. It won't do much for the intake manifold however.

green91
06-15-2007, 07:38 PM
At Toyota we use Top Engine Cleaner which is a chemical that is fed into the intake manifold after the throttle body. We clean the throttle plate first and then run the engine cleaner. We remove a vaccum source and run the cleaner. Our cleaner requires that we raise the rpm to 2000 rpm as the cleaner is run through the engine. It results in a ton of white smoke but don't be alarmed. I'm sure that Toyota would not allow us to use a harmful product on engines. This service is standard every 30,000 miles on a max service.

its actually on services every 15k with toyota.

dont have an engine oil flush done, all it usually does is wash oil gel buildup to the oil pan and gets in the pickup, its not worth it. i highly recommend a top engine service which is what professor x was describing. im not sure if seafoam makes a similiar kit but you could always stop by any toyota/lexus/scion dealer and pickup the kit. i use it on my toyota and honda both, and have used it on many other vehicles as well.

it comes with a throttle cleaner, a fuel additive that you put into your gas tank to help clean fuel pump/lines/injectors, and also the top-end service that runs through a vacuum source while the engine is running and does a remarkable job of cleaning the intake manifold and carbon buildup off the pistons.

Professor X
06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
its actually on services every 15k with toyota.

dont have an engine oil flush done, all it usually does is wash oil gel buildup to the oil pan and gets in the pickup, its not worth it. i highly recommend a top engine service which is what professor x was describing. im not sure if seafoam makes a similiar kit but you could always stop by any toyota/lexus/scion dealer and pickup the kit. i use it on my toyota and honda both, and have used it on many other vehicles as well.

it comes with a throttle cleaner, a fuel additive that you put into your gas tank to help clean fuel pump/lines/injectors, and also the top-end service that runs through a vacuum source while the engine is running and does a remarkable job of cleaning the intake manifold and carbon buildup off the pistons.

It seems like we may be getting off easy not doing it every 15,000 miles where I work. I guess it must be dealer specific. I'll have to ask my buddy at Lexus how often they do it. Either way, I think we both agree how well the product works. I do believe that BG makes a similar product that is supposed to work a little better. However, as with most BG products, there is a price difference for that quality.

green91
06-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe so, both dealers ive worked at did them at 15k but its not really important lol. But yea i think it works great and prevents buildup too as long as you use it regularly. I believe gwinnett place honda uses the BG induction service if anyone is looking for it.

Hey if you have aim hit me up, id like to chat with ya for a few.. im green91ef

KREEP
06-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Is bg short for something? I have never heard of it. Where can you get it?

green91
06-17-2007, 08:51 PM
No, BG is the name of a company that sells automotive products.. they have a website also http://www.bgprod.com

KREEP
06-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks. They have a bunch of great stuff on that website. Thanks again

green91
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I know gwinnett place honda has it. im not sure of other places though. i get it through work but we dont use the BG induction service because toyota has their own

KREEP
06-17-2007, 09:14 PM
You get your own for personal use? How much is it? It doesnt say on their wbesite. Can you hook it up or will I just have to goi to honda and pay for them to do it?

green91
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
No we sell some BG products like their trans flush kits etc.. best bet to get it from honda or you can use a toyota kit

ForgottenSoL
06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
My D serise has starting problems, on a cold start in the morning or when I come home from work the enigine turns over it just dosn't crank. Could this be a problem with my throttle body or my injectors?

theclemons
06-17-2007, 11:38 PM
i put carb cleaner through my b16's throttle body and nothing bad happend but im not sure how bad yours was... ive also put sea foam in my vacuum line. it smoked like a bitch for a whole day (we put in a little too much) unless there were metal shavings or a shit load of dirt i wouldnt worry about it, i would just use seafoam