PDA

View Full Version : This is my first time...

'chell
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
in here... I just picked up a '85 Cabriolet, and was wondering if anyone could give me some good sources for parts (other than ebay ;) ), as I am in HHI, and they are a little hard to come by out here.

The car is in pretty good shape overall , just litttle things (I hope) here and there. Biggest thing I need ASAP, is a new top. The whole thing it appears, top, liner, padding...

Any help would be great!!

DeutscheBAG!
06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
i know your HHi but if u do make to ATL, check out The Bug Shop
address is 553 Northside Drive SW 30310

this post by a fellow dubber Andrew sums it up.If you have not been to The Bug Shop, you are missing out on an amazing experience. The address is 553 Northside Drive SW. in the 30310. If you dont frequent the southside of downtown Atlanta, your in for a real treat. While the shop is not located in the nicest area, dont worry because it is likely you will see Amir roaming around . Anyways, once arriving there, you will see 2 lots with a1's, a2's, and the occasional a3. Most are parts cars that you can just grab what you want but some actually run and they will sell the whole car to you. Inside the shop, they have some more parts and a few bays. The prices really set this place apart though. I got two leather Recaro seats for 20 dollars one time. I went there with a friend of mine and he got a set of teardrops for 20 bucks with tires fitted to his car. The guys that work there are hilarious. My favorite guy there is David Dumas, the resident VW expert and lover of crack. Seriously, you can talk that guy into selling you anything there for under 30 dollars. If you have any crack lying around, i suggest bringing it because i have a feeling it is more valuable than cash there. Seriously though, they mean well and really are pretty nice, not to mention you can find some cool stuff down there. Last time i was there (which was a while ago), they had a pink widebody cabrio. I suggest taking a trip to see David and the rest at The Bug Shop, i promise it will be a fun-filled afternoon.

i take pics down there every now and then. i can swing by to see if they have what your looking for if u like..

-let me know

Marta Mike
06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for NEVER telling me bout that spot walker-lol. I would check pullaparts website and see how there inventory is looking. Come across some good stuff every now and then there. vwvortex.com is a really great place. They have a really amazing classifieds. vwfixx.com also does pretty well when it comes to engine parts. And for the new stuff try germanautocarparts.com

Codeman1407
06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
germanautoparts.com ftw. :goodjob:

they usually have most every oem part you need, and they ship fast.

DeutscheBAG!
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for NEVER telling me bout that spot walker-lol. I would check pullaparts website and see how there inventory is looking. Come across some good stuff every now and then there. vwvortex.com is a really great place. They have a really amazing classifieds. vwfixx.com also does pretty well when it comes to engine parts. And for the new stuff try germanautocarparts.com

bitch, i told you about that spot a while back lol. i don;t even know if we really knew each other back then. just as "the other black guy" lol

yeah man..my friend got his recaro seat for his a2 gti for 20bucks :D

Marta Mike
06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
bitch, i told you about that spot a while back lol. i don;t even know if we really knew each other back then. just as "the other black guy" lol

yeah man..my friend got his recaro seat for his a2 gti for 20bucks :D

"yo man theres this place on the southside, forgot what its called but they usually have some good vw stuff" does not count as you told me-lol. Im just gonna do the rocco thing porsche is too expensive right now. You wanna roll down there one weekend? I got a couple friends with caddys that would prolly wanna check it out too.

4dmin
06-13-2007, 11:58 AM
man i miss my cabby... for tops you may want to check w/ Autofab i know they do BMW tops, but i know for a fact Tonys Trim Shop in Norcross can do it; they did mine. As far as parts just let me know what you are looking to do. :goodjob:

http://www.importatlanta.com/features/2004/sept/cabby/imgs/PICT0061.jpg

4dmin
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks Paul! The car is in pretty good shape over all, some rust in a couple places, nothing major. Top has to be replaced, no doubt, the whole thing, down to the frame. I am watching one on ebay that is on pretty good shape??? It is pick up only so I should be able to get a good deal, I hope.

The valve cover gasket need to be replaced, doing that this weekend. Everytime I come to stop, I look like I'm on fire, lol, it smokes pretty good. The interior is good, no cracks, rips or anything.

I want to do something with the bumpers, I have found some, but they say they aren't speced for the U.S. , I don't know if I could get away with them or not. I just don't like those big, metal things. I want something more streamlined (short). Any thought on that... I do love it though. I had a Thing a couple years back, but can't seem to find one of those cheap enough right now, so this will be my beach cruiser for now.

just look for big bumpers for rabbit/cabriolet... try erebuni thats who made the kit i had; i know they were runninng some clearance sales on grilles, body kits, etc for A1 cars

DeutscheBAG!
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, sounds cool as shit, I don't get that way as much as I like, but this sounds like something worth making a trip to soon. If you get that way, wink wink lol, I am in need of a top in a bad way...(we have these wonderful, unpredictable, "scattered T-storms" here at the beach). If you'd like to be my tour guide, I'll hit ya up when I am headed that way...Thanks for the info!!

fair enough..i'll be down that way this weekend, i'll swing by and see what they got in stock. all works well, i'll be heading down your way to visit another IA'er on HHI in July (prince Nismo). we can do the exchange then if you like.

Total_Blender
06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I stumbled across this today, funny, but a good idea, worth a try anyway...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2983332 I will let ya know how it turns out...

Do it :thumbup:

I had an old '79 Honda with the bumper "shocks" on it, and I dirlled a hole in the shocks and compressed them in a vise. Don't even think about running into a wall or whatever, if you over do it you could twist the unibody or something.