06-07-2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/07/congress.immigration.ap/index.html

Good news.

ep9716
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
So What Does This Mean?

Bballjamal
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
All the illegal aliens won't be legalized?

ShooterMcGavin
06-08-2007, 09:18 AM
too lazy to click link...post the article :goodjob:

ep9716
06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I Don't Know...How Come The News Just Say WTF Is Going On They Make Everything So Damn Hard.

TheGodfather
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
You guys are lazy, haha.

Immigration bill fails key test, is withdrawn
POSTED: 9:52 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2007
Story Highlights• NEW: Senate majority leader withdraws bill after test vote fails
• NEW: Reid says work will continue to forge reform legislation
• NEW: Minority Leader McConnell says debate on amendments should go on
• Legislation was supported by President Bush

Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A broad immigration bill to legalize millions of people unlawfully in the United States failed a crucial test vote in the Senate Thursday, a stunning setback that could spell its defeat for the year.

The vote was 45-50 against limiting debate on the bill, 15 short of the 60 that the bill's supporters needed to prevail. Most Republicans voted to block Democrats' efforts to bring the bill to a final vote.

The legislation, which had been endorsed by President Bush, would tighten borders, institute a new system to prevent employers from hiring undocumented workers and give as many as 12 million illegal immigrants a pathway to legal status.

Senate Majority Harry Reid, D-Nevada, who had made no secret of his distaste for parts of the bill, said he would withdraw it but keep working toward eventual passage.

"I, even though disappointed, look forward to passing this bill," Reid said. But he said he needs help from the White House.

"This is the president's bill," Reid said. "... We can't do it alone over here. We need some help."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, urged Reid not to give up on the legislation, but allow debate on amendments to continue in order to resolve the objections of conservative senators.

"This is a complicated bill, but the key to passage is not complicated," McConnell said.

McConnell said all that's needed is a "reasonable number of additional roll-call votes" on amendments.

"We're not that far away from being able to get cloture on the bill," he said.

Conceived by an improbable coalition that nicknamed the deal a "grand bargain," the measure exposed deep rifts within both parties and is loathed by most GOP conservatives.

Most Republicans voted against ending debate, saying they needed more time to make the bill tougher with tighter border security measures and a more arduous legalization process for unlawful immigrants.

All but a handful of Democrats supported the move, but they, too, were holding their noses at provisions of the bill. Many of them argued it makes second-class citizens of a new crop of temporary workers and rips apart families by prioritizing employability over blood ties in future immigration.

Still, they had argued that the measure, on balance, was worth advancing.

"We can all find different aspects of this legislation that we differ with," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, the leading Democratic architect of the bill.

Amendments bandied about all day
Proponents in both parties had scrambled to find a way of reversing a blow their compromise sustained earlier Thursday, when the Senate voted to phase out the bill's temporary worker program after five years.

The 49-48 vote came two weeks after the Senate, also by a one-vote margin, rejected the same amendment by Sen. Byron Dorgan. The North Dakota Democrat says immigrants take many jobs Americans could fill.

Business interests and their congressional allies were already angry that the temporary worker program had been cut in half from its original 400,000-person-a-year target.

A five-year sunset, they said, could knock the legs from the precarious bipartisan coalition aligned with the White House. The Dorgan amendment "is a tremendous problem, but it's correctable," said Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania.

Until the Dorgan vote was tallied, Specter and other proponents had enjoyed a fairly good day.

They had turned back a bid to reduce the number of illegal immigrants who could gain lawful status. They also defeated an effort to postpone the bill's shift to an emphasis on education and skills among visa applicants as opposed to family connections.

And they fended off an amendment, by Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, that would have ended a new point system for those seeking permanent resident "green cards" after five years rather than 14 years.

All three amendments were seen as potentially fatal blows to the bill, which would tighten borders, hike penalties for those who hire illegals and give many of the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants a pathway to legal status.

The Senate voted 51-46 to reject a proposal by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, to bar criminals -- including those ordered by judges to be deported -- from gaining legal status. Democrats siphoned support from Cornyn's proposal by winning adoption, 66-32, of a rival version that would bar a more limited set of criminals, including certain gang members and sex offenders, from gaining legalization.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, alone among his party's presidential aspirants in backing the immigration measure, opposed Cornyn's bid and backed the Democratic alternative offered by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Massachusetts.

Senators also rejected a proposal by Robert Menendez, D-New Jersey, that would have delayed the bill's shift in favor of attracting foreign workers with needed skills as opposed to keeping families together. Menendez won 53 votes, seven short of the 60 needed under a Senate procedural rule invoked by his opponents.

Menendez's proposal would have allowed more than 800,000 people who had applied for permanent legal status by the beginning of 2007 to obtain green cards based purely on their family connections -- a preference the bill ends for most relatives who got in line after May 2005.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, fell short in her bid to remove limits on visas for the spouses and minor children of immigrants with permanent resident status.

While several Cornyn amendments failed, he prevailed on one matter opposed by the grand bargainers. That amendment, adopted 57 to 39, would make it easier to locate and deport illegal immigrants whose visa applications are rejected.

The bill would have barred law enforcement agencies from seeing applications for so-called Z visas, which can lead to citizenship if granted. Cornyn said legal authorities should know if applicants have criminal records that would warrant their deportation.

Opponents said eligible applicants might be afraid to file applications if they believe they are connected to deportation actions. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, said in an interview that Cornyn's amendment was "not a deal-killer" but would have to be changed in House-Senate negotiations.

And what it means is the 12 million illegals won't get the rights and benifits that they do not deserve. IE: your tax dollars will pay for Americans education, not those who are here undocumented.

ep9716
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
^^^ I'm Sure As Hell I'm Not Going To READ That.....LMAO LAZY

ShooterMcGavin
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
good, i'm glad they put this shit off, i mean the system is broke as fuck right now and this "quick fix" wasn't really going to do us any good...better to table it and keep working on something better.

OneSlow5pt0
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
sweet,thats a win for the big USA

ep9716
06-08-2007, 03:52 PM
sweet,thats a win for the big USA

Correct Me If I'm Wrong But Wouldnt It Mean Less Taxpayers:???:

2.0civic
06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Correct Me If I'm Wrong But Wouldnt It Mean Less Taxpayers:???:

not if illegals arent paying taxes anyway...

OneSlow5pt0
06-08-2007, 03:58 PM
it just mean we wont be paying for aliens to go to school and medical

ep9716
06-08-2007, 03:59 PM
not if illegals arent paying taxes anyway...

Dont You Have To Pay Taxes.....Im Just About To Turn 18 And I Dont Have A Job So I Dont Know Much About Taxes But, Dont You Go To Jail If You Dont Pay Them?

OneSlow5pt0
06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Dont You Have To Pay Taxes.....Im Just About To Turn 18 And I Dont Have A Job So I Dont Know Much About Taxes But, Dont You Go To Jail If You Dont Pay Them?

but if your illegal the goverment doesnt know where u are...which means your like a ghost

ep9716
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
but if your illegal the goverment doesnt know where u are...which means your like a ghost
Oh...Ok...Thanks For Clearing This Out For Me.

ep9716
06-08-2007, 04:04 PM
REPS BTW THANKS

ep9716
06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sorry Guys I'll Get Yall Later.....

Ran
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
:bump:

http://flashyloops.eastofosaka.net/party/

Maniaç
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
God? who is God?

ep9716
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM
:bump:

http://flashyloops.eastofosaka.net/party/