PDA

View Full Version : spacers for my wheels

boost22
06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
i drive a 95 camry le cpe with 16" PCW aftermarket wheels. the wheels and the tires are slightly bigger than the originial ones. a couple days ago, i got a flat so i replaced it with one of the full size original tires. i went to the local costco [the one in Duluth] to get my 2 rear tires replaced, but the mech. said that they couldn't service the vehicle because the aftermarket wheels did not have spacers. My question is...do i really need them? i called Godfather customs to see if they had any in stock, but the lady said that driving without spacers wasn't a big problem. The mech. at Costco told me the GA made it a law for cars with aftermarket wheels to have spacers for the center of the wheels to fit the center of the bolts or brakes..i dont remember clearly. To me, it doesn't seem like a big deal; i've driven this car for almost 3000 miles without a problem. The ride seems fine to me. So..do i need them to get my tired replaced?

Grnblur
06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
did it rub or something ? thats wierd ive never heard of anything like that

boost22
06-01-2007, 11:26 PM
i don't know...the mech said that the center of the wheels didn't fit the bolts/nuts..or something like that. said the wheels relied on 1 nut when rotating. ahh i don't know

Fr33way
06-06-2007, 12:55 AM
That is a centering ring, not a spacer.

It holds the wheel center as it is being bolted on, otherwise they could be out of balance (on the hub).

Fr33way
06-06-2007, 12:58 AM
When he says one nut, he means that the weight of the wheel is resting on one of the wheel studs (although that is unlikely). If you think of the wheel as having any play, the space will be at the bottom because gravity will be making the top flush.