PDA

View Full Version : General Chat SAAB 9-3 Aero Story

VooDooXII
06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Went to the IQ Autos today, but the salesman said that he handed the SAAB that I was looking at over to Jim Ellis for servicing and to go though all of their CPO stuff. This is good though. A lot of the interior bits (switches & buttons) were wearing and peeling, so they're replacing all of them. Jim Ellis is taking their time...the guy gave it to the place three days ago. I would have been able to pick it up today, but since that didn't work out...I'll have to wait until he calls back with it.

No big deal. I did get to test drive another 9-3 Aero, but this one had an automatic. Nonetheless, I really like it. The key looks pimp.

http://www.digital-djs.com/talk/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=107

Yea, you only stick in the knob at the end of the fob and turn. If the battery on the remote dies, you can pull out the keyring loop to reveal a conventional key for the door lock. The fob will still work with the ignition though.

The seats are damn near the most comfortable seats I've sat in. They're pretty supportive, and I like the black accents on the light tan leather. The car rides pretty stiffly, probably because of the Aero package. I guess that means it'll corner well though. The steering is pretty light but not numb, and it responds pretty well. I noticed that it reached it's lock relatively soon. It's nice, but I'm scared of that occasional highway sneeze.

Power delivery is smooth as long as you keep it above 2000 RPM. Not hard, but accelerating from a launch makes you notice the turbo-lag. It's nice though. At a certain speed, all you hear is the hiss of the turbocharger. Hah, "Born From Jets" indeed. However, an interior born from jets isn't exactly pleasant. I counted 50+ buttons...there's a phone dial in there; I don't know what for. I guess I'll get used to it though. The audio controls are on the steering wheel anyway. The brakes are grabby as hell though. I read that the 9-3 has sort of a dead spot in the pedal travel before you feel any braking force. This one though, was quite the opposite. It was more of an on/off switch. I guess I'll get used to that too.

It's pretty roomy, very comfortable, and I'm sure the 2.0t will give pretty good mileage. Of course, the cupholders are fun as hell to watch. Gatta love the Swedish...turning something as simple as a cupholder into a work of art.The glove box is HUGE too. I think part of it is refrigerated...that might just be on the 9-5s though.

Anyway, I'm excited. The guy should be giving me a call tomorrow.

Here are some pictures...hah, I wish they had cleaned it up a bit before taking these.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814516.219340760.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jp g
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814520.219340760.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814521.219340760.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814522.219340760.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814523.219340760.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Kamikaze
06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I've always liked Saab because of its uniqueness.

OneSlow5pt0
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
looks good,is the 9-3 turboed?

SampaGuy
06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
looks good

VooDooXII
06-02-2007, 03:09 PM
looks good,is the 9-3 turboed?

Yup! All 9-3s are turbocharged, but this one is the Aero, so it's...more turbocharged... :look:

Oh yea, and...

EDIT: The car will be ready by Monday.

81911SC
06-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Holy buttons batman!

VooDooXII
06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Holy buttons batman!

"Born From Jets"...remember? :D

Thank SAAB for Night Panel...all those little buttons lit up at night will probably give me a seizure.

Shit's confusing...but all of the audio controls are on the steering wheel.

The HVAC controls are what I'm worried about. There are 12 buttons for that. The 2007 ones have cleaned up dashes with knobs for the HVAC. I like that layout a lot better.

Either way...like I said, I'll get used to it.

81911SC
06-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Some of the newer Porsches are loaded with buttons too. I like yours though.

VooDooXII
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks man!

I don't know what that phone pad is in there for...I wonder if it has an integrated phone.

Ah, I'm going to have to spend a couple hours...maybe days, with the owner's manual.

By the way...you've got a nice car as well. My uncle has a 1977 Porsche 911S. That thing is a BLAST to drive. Hah...the clutch is a full calf workout. Sounds SICK though.

VooDooXII
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Now it's getting annoying. The SAAB dealership keeps postponing and postponing...and now they're telling the guy that it'll be ready Wednesday or Thursday.

Not much I can do really...at least I know I'm first on the list for it. Other people have been calling in for that car, but the salesman said that I was already looking into it.

I wish servicing would hurry up though!

JDMrequired
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
thats a pretty sweet ride. i think that the phone dial buttons are for the 24hr roadside assistance that Saab provides its customers. R u going 2 mod it? is it FF, FR, or AWD?

Hektik
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
this is one of my favorite cars.... ive been looking into the 9-3 vector sedan.. I belleive its a V6 turboed.... good luck at the dealership tho cause they love to play games.....

VooDooXII
06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
this is one of my favorite cars.... ive been looking into the 9-3 vector sedan.. I belleive its a V6 turboed.... good luck at the dealership tho cause they love to play games.....

The 2005+ Aero models have the 2.8 liter turbo V6.

I really wanted that one, but I can't afford it.

IQ is at the mercy of Jim Ellis SAAB...they don't really have much control on when the car can come back.

Either they're backed up, or they're just taking their dear sweet time.

VooDooXII
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
GOT IT!

Well, good news and bad news.

Good News: I have a SAAB now.

Bad News: It's not mine. It's a loaner. This one is a 2003 SAAB 9-3 Vector. It's basically the exact same car. They changed the name from Vector to Aero in 2004, but yea. This one is black/parchment too...the only differences are that my loaner is an automatic, and it's a 2003, and mine is a 2004.

I LOVE the car though. It picks up speed with ease, it's great to drive, and it's very comfortable...and of course...NIGHT PANEL!

The Sentronic Semi Automatic works pretty well too. It has little paddles on the steering wheel...and it responds pretty quickly compared to other manumatics that I've driven. Either way, I want a clutch and a conventional manual.

This is why I don't have mine.

I did get to see my car...I got to test drive it too. Feels great, the clutch is snappy, if a little light, and the shift throws are short. The mechanic at Jim Ellis said that the engine was making some noise though, and that he wanted to replace the timing belt. It has a chain instead of a belt actually. I didn't find anything wrong with it when I drove it...but hey, it's a new part covered by warranty, so why not? I get a near identical loaner anyway. I'll just have to manage without a clutch for a day or two.

Either way, I've got a new whip!

81911SC
06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Congrats man.

Kyle
06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Nice. Good to hear you finally got a car. Can't wait to see it at Tech next year.

Sol-Badguy
06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Nice.

Can't wait to see it!

OneSlow5pt0
06-06-2007, 12:02 PM
nice dude,look forward to seeing more pics

VooDooXII
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Come to the Varsity on Thursday if you want to see it in person.

I'll get more pictures soon...hah, I need a camera.

Sol-Badguy
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Come to the Varsity on Thursday if you want to see it in person.

I'll get more pictures soon...hah, I need a camera.
You and me both.

VooDooXII
06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
thats a pretty sweet ride. i think that the phone dial buttons are for the 24hr roadside assistance that Saab provides its customers. R u going 2 mod it? is it FF, FR, or AWD?

Appreciated!

The phone dial is actually for an integrated phone. You need the OnStar subscription though. I wish it had Bluetooth or something...then I'd really feel like a boss.

This is a FWD, but as I've just found out, it has passive rear wheel steering, so it doesn't understeer nearly as much as a typical FWD car. For 2008, the 9-3 will have AWD...though I don't know if that'll be standard or optional.

I'm going to do some mild modifications. An exhaust, a BSR PPC Reflash, some coilovers and some BBS RKs, and a 2006+ Aero steering wheel...all in time though. I've heard that the reflash and the exhaust will be good for about 240 bhp. The stock engine puts out 210. I don't relaly care for something stupid fast...just something fun to drive. Already, this car's pretty quick...but then again, I've been driving a 100 bhp Golf TDi...so a lot of things feel quick, haha.

I love the car though!

cactusEG
06-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Went to the IQ Autos today, but the salesman said that he handed the SAAB that I was looking at over to Jim Ellis for servicing and to go though all of their CPO stuff. This is good though. A lot of the interior bits (switches & buttons) were wearing and peeling, so they're replacing all of them. Jim Ellis is taking their time...the guy gave it to the place three days ago. I would have been able to pick it up today, but since that didn't work out...I'll have to wait until he calls back with it.

No big deal. I did get to test drive another 9-3 Aero, but this one had an automatic. Nonetheless, I really like it. The key looks pimp.

http://www.digital-djs.com/talk/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=107

Yea, you only stick in the knob at the end of the fob and turn. If the battery on the remote dies, you can pull out the keyring loop to reveal a conventional key for the door lock. The fob will still work with the ignition though.

The seats are damn near the most comfortable seats I've sat in. They're pretty supportive, and I like the black accents on the light tan leather. The car rides pretty stiffly, probably because of the Aero package. I guess that means it'll corner well though. The steering is pretty light but not numb, and it responds pretty well. I noticed that it reached it's lock relatively soon. It's nice, but I'm scared of that occasional highway sneeze.

Power delivery is smooth as long as you keep it above 2000 RPM. Not hard, but accelerating from a launch makes you notice the turbo-lag. It's nice though. At a certain speed, all you hear is the hiss of the turbocharger. Hah, "Born From Jets" indeed. However, an interior born from jets isn't exactly pleasant. I counted 50+ buttons...there's a phone dial in there; I don't know what for. I guess I'll get used to it though. The audio controls are on the steering wheel anyway. The brakes are grabby as hell though. I read that the 9-3 has sort of a dead spot in the pedal travel before you feel any braking force. This one though, was quite the opposite. It was more of an on/off switch. I guess I'll get used to that too.

It's pretty roomy, very comfortable, and I'm sure the 2.0t will give pretty good mileage. Of course, the cupholders are fun as hell to watch. Gatta love the Swedish...turning something as simple as a cupholder into a work of art.The glove box is HUGE too. I think part of it is refrigerated...that might just be on the 9-5s though.

Anyway, I'm excited. The guy should be giving me a call tomorrow.

Here are some pictures...hah, I wish they had cleaned it up a bit before taking these.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814516.219340760.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jp g
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814520.219340760.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814521.219340760.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814522.219340760.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/4/8/219/340/1874814523.219340760.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

that car is fucking hot..

VooDooXII
06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Damn man, you had to quote the whole post to say that?

Haha, thanks a lot man...check it out if you're coming to the Varisty.

Sol-Badguy
06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Even if it was only the loaner, it still looks damn good!!

Reps if I can.

VooDooXII
06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Hah, thanks man! Good to meet you again.

I've got pictures. They're on my buddy's camera, so I'll get them up later today.

VooDooXII
06-08-2007, 10:01 PM
PICTURES (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35778987&postcount=1)

:D

cactusEG
06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Damn man, you had to quote the whole post to say that?

Haha, thanks a lot man...check it out if you're coming to the Varisty.

lol yea i just had to see it again... ur the fucking man:goodjob: good tast in cars

VooDooXII
06-10-2007, 11:44 AM
lol yea i just had to see it again... ur the fucking man:goodjob: good taste in cars

Appreciate that man...means a lot. I missed you again at Pleasant Hill...I got there late though. I'll be out at more of those meets though.

cactusEG
06-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Appreciate that man...means a lot. I missed you again at Pleasant Hill...I got there late though. I'll be out at more of those meets though.

i was there.. then i left and came back. but for real u do have great car

Mr_Mischif
06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Saabs are nice, I'd so buy one if they were RWD.

VooDooXII
06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
This doesn't understeer as badly as most FWD cars do. I might've mentioned it earlier, but it has passive rear wheel steering.

Mr_Mischif
06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
This doesn't understeer as badly as most FWD cars do. I might've mentioned it earlier, but it has passive rear wheel steering.

Yeah, but were you to drag it, it couldn't put its power down as well, and you can't get MAD JDM TyTe DORIFTO with it.

VooDooXII
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, but were you to drag it, it couldn't put its power down as well, and you can't get MAD JDM TyTe DORIFTO with it.

I totally want to drag and drift my SAAB!!!

This isn't JDM...it's SDM! :look:

thegreatfnr
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
This isn't JDM...it's SDM! :look: :boobies: WOOT

I just got my saab and im lovin it

VooDooXII you plannin on modding it up, I just purchased my first mod today picking up a ARB. I dont know about your car or not but my shit has all kinda body roll. That 25.5mm ARB should fix that right up though

Lee:cheers:

VooDooXII
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
:boobies: WOOT

I just got my saab and im lovin it

VooDooXII you plannin on modding it up, I just purchased my first mod today picking up a ARB. I dont know about your car or not but my shit has all kinda body roll. That 25.5mm ARB should fix that right up though

Lee:cheers:

Your is the 9-3 2.0t hatch right? I'd imagine that the Viggen wouldn't have much roll. The Aero/Viggen models have stiffer suspension and they sit lower. Mine doesn't feel too bad at all, possibly due to the Aero package.

I am planning on a few modifications. A BSR PPC Reflash, a Simons exhaust system, some coilovers just to bring it a little lower, and some 18" BBS RK wheels. I saw a video with a 9-3 with that setup...they got around 250 bhp, and that'd be great for me.

I'm going to do a few cosmetic mods too...tinted tails, except for the flashers and reverse lights, window tints, and I want to see if I can get my hands on a 2006+ Aero steering wheel. I love how those look with the aluminium accents and thumb grips. I found one on genuinesaab.com, and all of the same buttons are there...so I don't think installation will be that big of a problem. No way in hell I'm doing it myself though.

Like I said earlier...I plan on keeping it clean. :look:

Hah, good to see another SAAB owner. Seems like I've had the only SAAB at the meets that I go to. That could be good actually. :D

blaknoize
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
They are just sooooo damn expensive. I'd own one, but, well I'm poorer than u. I can only drive very old Honda's. Sucks... but its nice.

thegreatfnr
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Your is the 9-3 2.0t hatch right? I'd imagine that the Viggen wouldn't have much roll. The Aero/Viggen models have stiffer suspension and they sit lower. Mine doesn't feel too bad at all, possibly due to the Aero package.

Hah, good to see another SAAB owner. Seems like I've had the only SAAB at the meets that I go to. That could be good actually. :D

Yea mine is the 9-3 2.0T HOT and yea its a 2 door hatch. I think the newer models 2003+ are a different body and chasis than my car. Even the Viggens of my year have the same issues. If you go to GenuineSaab.com you will see for the Viggens for my year the best mod is the VRK Kit (Viggen Rescue Kit) it comes with a 6 point subframe brace, steering rack clamp, and the ARB i just got. They say once that kit is installed you have what really should have come from the factory in the first place.

Glad to hear your liking your aero I wanna check it out for sure sometime. Ive got a buddy from my VW group that rocks an 88 900 turbo that I get to talk saabs with since he brings it out since his dubs are broke :(

Lee :cheers:

VooDooXII
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
They are just sooooo damn expensive. I'd own one, but, well I'm poorer than u. I can only drive very old Honda's. Sucks... but its nice.

I bought mine used for New Civic money...I'm just glad I found it. There were so few manual transmission ones there.

However, while I was at that dealership...I spotted a bright red 9-5 Aero wagon with a manual transmission. Those are rare as hell in that setup...some guy in Canada was interested in that one. I like it...but it's a couple grand more than mine. Anyway...I'm loving my 9-3 Aero.

Yea mine is the 9-3 2.0T HOT and yea its a 2 door hatch. I think the newer models 2003+ are a different body and chasis than my car. Even the Viggens of my year have the same issues. If you go to GenuineSaab.com you will see for the Viggens for my year the best mod is the VRK Kit (Viggen Rescue Kit) it comes with a 6 point subframe brace, steering rack clamp, and the ARB i just got. They say once that kit is installed you have what really should have come from the factory in the first place.

Glad to hear your liking your aero I wanna check it out for sure sometime. Ive got a buddy from my VW group that rocks an 88 900 turbo that I get to talk saabs with since he brings it out since his dubs are broke :(

Lee :cheers:

Yea, after 2003 they used GM's Epsilon platform for the 9-3. I found a couple nice things on Genuine SAAB.

I'm usually at Pleasant Hill Meets and the Varsity...look out for me if you're ever over there! I'll be looking for other meets in my area too.