PDA

View Full Version : Moral Delemna: What would you do (Money)?

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
At the end of March, I helped a buddy out by lending him some money ($150) to get some repairs on his car done. He had an agreement with a connection of mine to get the repairs done about ~300 under cost.

A few days after the car got repaired, we went and picked it up. I was under the assumption it was already cashed out and said fine. I get a call from my buddy about 4 days later saying that the bill WAS NOT paid out and was wondering how to get ahold of said person. I called the customer and since the person who repaired the car for him was my best friend over the last 9 years, i told the customer that I would come out of MY pocket the $150 if he could pay me back by that weekend (this is a Tuesday or Wednesday) and he says "I can pay you back tonight, Ive just been busy. Give me a call tonight and ill pay you."

As soon as I get off the phone with the customer, I go pick up my buddy and we go to taco bell. While were at taco bell, the customer called my buddy and they got into it and the customer was like "blah blah blah ive been busy" and starts screaming at my buddy. So anyway, I pay back his tab for him.

Here is where the stickyness and the delmna kicks in. Both people were/are friends. The customer Lives (and WORKS) 5 MINUTES away from my house and hasn't made an effort to pay me back AT ALL. Not "hey man, let me give you $5-10" or anything. He makes DAMN good money (ill say 40-50k a year after seeing a paystub) and hasnt made the effort at all.

However, I do have something of his that ive had for almost 3 months that ive been holding kind of for him until he figured out what to do with it.

So the last week ive comptemplated going out and selling his said property to recover my loss but i dont feel right about it but at this point, im assed out the money that i REALLY did not have to lend him at that point but hes had two months to repay and no effort.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Cliffs:

1. Lent a friend money to pay back another friend
2. Get told "ill pay you back tonight"
3. 2 months later, no effort on repayment at all
4. Moral delemna to sell buddys parts to recover lent money or not
5. Vote

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Is that item you have of his worth at least $150? Later, QD.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Roughly. LOL, due to what it (they really) are, i would be looking more into trades plus a little cash instead of the full amount

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
There you go. Call this dude and let him know what you are going to do. See how fast that money comes to you then, if he really wants that item. Later, QD.

Sol-Badguy
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I'd sell it. If he was a really good friend, he would have paid you back somehow.

What's the item? :D

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Wheels with 100% tread on the tires minus one that i blew out the other day

Jennnzee
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Sell his parts. Dont feel bad about it because he doesnt seem to feel bad about not paying you. If he really felt guilty he would make every effort possible to give you what he can....but he isn't.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Sell his parts. Dont feel bad about it because he doesnt seem to feel bad about not paying you. If he really felt guilty he would make every effort possible to give you what he can....but he isn't.

See thats the issue. I know what he makes and he lives 3.8 miles away and hasnt even made the effort and all he can come up with excuse wise is "being too busy"

I can WALK to his house in 20 minutes SLOWLY lol

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd let him know you would sell the wheels and pocket the money and see if he comes running first. Later, QD.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I'd let him know you would sell the wheels and pocket the money and see if he comes running first. Later, QD.

thats what i figure might happen. Im snapping pics of the rims in a few minutes then ill probably send him a link

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Lolol. Blackmail. Catch the wheels in a compromising situation. Later, QD.

The Ninja
dilemma* btw...

Jennnzee

Yeah, or you can do that. Test him before you make a decision.

I've had the same problem, only it was onvolving a lazy 23 year old guy on my couch. Never lend unreliable people ANYTHING.

Is he known for being pretty trustworthy?

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, or you can do that. Test him before you make a decision.

I've had the same problem, only it was onvolving a lazy 23 year old guy on my couch. Never lend unreliable people ANYTHING.

Is he known for being pretty trustworthy?

Nah or else i wouldnt have lent him the money lol but to keep my buddy from taking him to small claims or taking a mechanics lein out, i covered his ass

Then again, you know what they say...the quickest way to lose a friend is to lend them money

dilemma* btw...

thought it had a n in there somewhere. Oh well

silver
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah I agree with QD.. just call him and even if he doesnt answer be straight up with his voicemail.. and say hey look I need that money by say next friday, I know you have already given him a few months, but I would give him a week once you give him the altimatum of "if you don't have my money to me by said date you are selling his shit" That way you are giving him a little bit of time to get you the money before you sell something that if you sold right away without enough notice to him to pay you, you might have to deal with him coming to you after the fact and him saying you didnt give him enough notice and could have had the money to you

silver
06-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Nah or else i wouldnt have lent him the money lol but to keep my buddy from taking him to small claims or taking a mechanics lein out, i covered his ass

small claims court for $150 is a waste of time and money, unless you just want to prove a point and have the time and money to waste, lol just imo but to each their own

speedminded
There you go. Call this dude and let him know what you are going to do. See how fast that money comes to you then, if he really wants that item. Later, QD.Tell him you're selling them, that's all you have to do...BUT since they are wheels and apparently you're driving on them then guess you are gonna have to trade, lol.

2.0civic
Yeah I agree with QD.. just call him and even if he doesnt answer be straight up with his voicemail.. and say hey look I need that money by say next friday, I know you have already given him a few months, but I would give him a week once you give him the altimatum of "if you don't have my money to me by said date you are selling his shit" That way you are giving him a little bit of time to get you the money before you sell something that if you sold right away without enough notice to him to pay you, you might have to deal with him coming to you after the fact and him saying you didnt give him enough notice and could have had the money to you

Thats just it though. Hes been avoiding the situation and the phone works both ways and he knows he owes me the money.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:15 AM
small claims court for $150 is a waste of time and money, unless you just want to prove a point and have the time and money to waste, lol just imo but to each their own

it is a waste of time but a mechanics lein on that car, wouldnt be:goodjob:

due to the nature of the car, it would sell on here for 10x that in under a day.

silver
06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Thats just it though. Hes been avoiding the situation and the phone works both ways and he knows he owes me the money.

yeah true.. I was just saying give him a heads up that you are selling his shit and give him a weeks time.. cause I bet if you sold them tomorrow, he would show up on sunday with your money and wanting his wheels, lol

speedminded
06-01-2007, 09:16 AM

due to the nature of the car, it would sell on here for 10x that in under a day.$1,500? lol :tongue:

quickdodgeŽ
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Silver, Steveo wasn't talking about himself doing SCC. The mechanic shop was. Later, QD.

silver
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM

due to the nature of the car, it would sell on here for 10x that in under a day.

How do mechanics leins work?? i have heard of them before but never really asked what they do? I mean I understand the jist of it, but does the car after a period of time become owned by the mechanic or it just sit forever until its paid?

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
yeah true.. I was just saying give him a heads up that you are selling his shit and give him a weeks time.. cause I bet if you sold them tomorrow, he would show up on sunday with your money and wanting his wheels, lol

this is true. Im making a thread with his wheels later today after i get all the pics lined up and then im calling him.

silver
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Silver, Steveo wasn't talking about himself doing SCC. The mechanic shop was. Later, QD.

Oh i know... just saying in general, lol

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
How do mechanics leins work?? i have heard of them before but never really asked what they do? I mean I understand the jist of it, but does the car after a period of time become owned by the mechanic or it just sit forever until its paid?

my understanding of the process is that they get the title in the shops name until debt is paid and if not paid, said shop can sell it

$1,500? lol :tongue:

integra GSR... so yeah, it would just be the point of it and a quick sell :goodjob:

Leadfoot_mf
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM

you dont know how liens work.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
you dont know how liens work.

please expalin cause my understanding is once its in the shops name with a lein, the person has a time frame for repayment upon which if not paid, the shop can get it titled

Shawna
06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
call leave a message stating that if you dont have your money by monday you are selling his wheels

speedminded
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
How do mechanics leins work?? i have heard of them before but never really asked what they do? I mean I understand the jist of it, but does the car after a period of time become owned by the mechanic or it just sit forever until its paid?The mechanic can have the car towed, just as a repo, and hold the property until payed or after a certain amount of time it can be sold to get the lost money back.

Wal-Mart
06-01-2007, 09:25 AM
take a picture of the wheels alongside the road with a big "free wheel" sign next to them and send him the picture.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:25 AM
The mechanic can have the car towed, just as a repo, and hold the property until payed or after a certain amount of time it can be sold to get the lost money back.

that was my thoughts

Sol-Badguy
06-01-2007, 09:29 AM
By the way, if they look good..

I'll take 'em.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM
By the way, if they look good..

I'll take 'em.

haha theyre 4x100 5 spokes

Sol-Badguy
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM
That actually sounds pretty good....

If the friend doesn't work out, PM me some info. :goodjob:

Leadfoot_mf
06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
please expalin cause my understanding is once its in the shops name with a lein, the person has a time frame for repayment upon which if not paid, the shop can get it titled
nope only thing a lien does the title holder cannot sell change retitle without lien being released which means shop would get paid and the shop has to renew lien every year

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
nope only thing a lien does the title holder cannot sell change retitle without lien being released which means shop would get paid and the shop has to renew lien every year

thanks for the clarification on that

d993s
06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
See thats the issue. I know what he makes and he lives 3.8 miles away and hasnt even made the effort and all he can come up with excuse wise is "being too busy"

I can WALK to his house in 20 minutes SLOWLY lol

It all depends on how pissed off you are. You have to react quick before the anger wears off if you plan on doing something serious, otherwise you won't have it in you when the time comes.

Go over to his house, TAKE the $, and then beat the shit out of him. Or cause some damage to him or his property that's at least triple what he owes you. Some people need to be shown that stupidity costs.

Actually, no. Just don't ever help him or talk to him ever again, and tell everyone you know about what happened. And if he offers you the cash later, take it and rip it up in front of him.
It's much worse damage than losing $150 (especially if he is/was a friend).

Real friends don't do stupid shit like that.
I've lost several of these "friends" (more like freeloaders) due to this same type of BS with $, and I don't regret it.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 01:18 PM
It all depends on how pissed off you are. You have to react quick before the anger wears off if you plan on doing something serious, otherwise you won't have it in you when the time comes.

Go over to his house, TAKE the $, and then beat the shit out of him. Or cause some damage to him or his property that's at least triple what he owes you. Some people need to be shown that stupidity costs.

Actually, no. Just don't ever help him or talk to him ever again, and tell everyone you know about what happened. And if he offers you the cash later, take it and rip it up in front of him.
It's much worse damage than losing $150 (especially if he is/was a friend).

Real friends don't do stupid shit like that.
I've lost several of these "friends" (more like freeloaders) due to this same type of BS with $, and I don't regret it.

Im pissed but its not worth me looking like the asshole to everyone and I WONT harm anothers car or house. Thats just fucked up to do. I wont lie, I have thought about other scenarios but IDK, cars are off limits to me

d993s
06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Im pissed but its not worth me looking like the asshole to everyone and I WONT harm anothers car or house. Thats just fucked up to do. I wont lie, I have thought about other scenarios but IDK, cars are off limits to me

Well, some people have to be dealt with accordingly, otherwise they'll never learn.

If it's not worth it, just ignore the guy. He'll need a favor one day, and you'll be there to refuse.

2.0civic
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, some people have to be dealt with accordingly, otherwise they'll never learn.

If it's not worth it, just ignore the guy. He'll need a favor one day, and you'll be there to refuse.

LOL so just sell the wheels and call it a day?

d993s
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
LOL so just sell the wheels and call it a day?

Yes, and if he complains, tell him I made you do it, and he can talk to me if there's a problem.