PDA

View Full Version : messing w/ online scammers

Spektrewing386
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
ok so I put my paintball gun on craigslist to sell a few days ago with 4 photos and a discription. within 4 hours i got a reply:

Hello,
I am interested in the item that you advert for sale and i will like
to know if its still available for sale and let me know if the item is
still for sale and please i will like to know about its present
condition and if possible some present pics of the item.

Looking forward for your swift response immediately

that kind of led me to belive this is definitley a scammer, trying to send me a fake check and me sending the item. And not meeting in person, but through a 3rd party shipper. So i sent the following reply:

its in excellent condition.
those photos were taken yesterday.

I then got back:

Hello,
Thanks for you quick responce i will be buying the item,i will like to tell you that i will be paying with check in us dollars and as for the moving, my mover will come for the pick up at your location upon your confirmation that the payment is recieved and cashed and i dont want you to look for any other buyer. I would have loved to come down for the pickup, but am not chance to do that now but am satisfy with your discription of the item i will like you to give me the following so that your payment can be forwarded to you.................
1....your full name to be on the check
2..your full contact address to send the payment to
3..your zip code
4.your mobile and land line number to reach you.

I will be expecting your mail.
Regards

So i did email him back with info:

Heres my name:

Samuel L Jackson

140 N. Marietta Parkway
Marietta, GA 30060

My phone number is 770-499-3900

Hope you like your purchase.
That is of course...the name of an awsome actor and the address and phone number of the Cobb County Police headquarters.
I then got back 2 days later:

Hi ....,
Thanks for getting back to me,all you have to do for me is to go and remove the item from salelist cause im going to start working on your payment ASAP,and i am also going to get back to you with the UPS tracking number of your payment and im going to include the shipping companys fund that will be coming for the pickup in your location for the pickup of the item along with your payment. Hope to hear from you.
Regards,

No where did this guy even mention the word "paintball" or even the city he lives in. He wants a 3rd party shipper for it and is paying in check. It sounds like something he has saved in Notepad and is worded to cover a wide area of items because he uses no specific words. I wonder what will happen now?

ep9716
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
LOL I Think They Use Something LIke Mail Merge To Do That. LOL I have A Friend That Did The Samething A Guy Was Going To Meet With Him And Give Him A Check(Fake) But He Never Meet Up.

Psycho
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh my gay, what have you dont to my screen name?

fire7882
05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
http://419eater.com/

Spektrewing386
05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
ummm.... ok

Spektrewing386
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
when he says that he has sent is 'fake' payment........ im going to shit in a box and mail it to him.

EssAreTwenTee
05-25-2007, 04:19 PM
when he says that he has sent is 'fake' payment........ im going to shit in a box and mail it to him.

I put an xbox 360 on ebay and had it bought within a few hours. I got an email from a woman claiming to be from new york and wanting to send it as a gift to her granddaughter who happened to be going to school in nigeria at the time. She was gracious enough to pay all shipping charges and even quickly send me payment via a 3rd party escrow I'd never heard of hosted on yahoo/geocities. So I found a massive rock in the woods and dropped it in a cardboard box with a big x on the side and promptly shipped it to the nice lady.

Magnus213
05-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Haha classic!